What Tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
    Funny that, Mike, as most pussies I know prefer a hard tip ...

However, if that's your experience ...
    LOOL!

On topic, I find Blue Diamond Plus tip much more softer than the Elk, even softer than the Super Tip.
    If you rate "softness" by the amount of spin you get from the same shot power or side applied, BD Plus is by far the winner here in my own experience.
    Having tried the above mentioned tips, I will stick to the BD Plus in the future.
    Choosing the right tip depends on your playing style, the cue, etc, and the BD Plus is just perfect for me. It really bites the cue ball..
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the feedback appreciated, I may have a knock with a BD+ or a laquered Elk just for interests sake.... of course if those don't work then I may have to go the jelly tot route
      All smelling pistakes (c) my keyboard, I can spell but it can't type

Comment

I use a Talisman Soft Pro which feels very similar to the Elkmaster to play with. Anybody else noticed that?

Comment

I tried a soft talisman and found it way too firm for me unfortunately.

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
            I use a Talisman Soft Pro which feels very similar to the Elkmaster to play with. Anybody else noticed that?
            a deaf dumb and blind stupid man?

sorry bongo, no offence, but they couldn't be more different....
            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by bkpaul View Post
              You would be amazed at how much extra control you get with an ultra soft tip!, some shots just aren't possible with a firmer one, the softness of the tip creates extra grip at the point of contact.
              sorry, that is just bullsh... - erm... wrong! it depends so much on your cue action. I think Ronnie can play most, if not all shots you consider impossible, plus a few more you've never been dreaming of. So can John Higgins. And the tips they use are rock hard.

You're right that a softer tip may create extra grip, but a good cue action with timing and perfect acceleration generates much more spin than a soft tip with a lame action.

If you were all correct, no one would ever use a hard tip. there's always an up and down, a pro and contra, and a good way for a player given. with a hard tip, you need a good cue action ('losing' spin at the beginning), but then, you get a more consistent result, with the tip responding the same way every time. a player who can use such a rock solid tip perfectly might find your extra soft tips way too wobbly, inconsistent and straying, not being able to reproduce exactly the same shot every time.

I started with soft tips, couldn't get used to the harder ones. couldn't play a stun with them first. then, later, i changed to a new cue with harder tip already on and decided to keep it - yes, it took time getting used to it, but eventually i found out that this new tip was even harder then the ones i thought were unplayable first! going back to these 'medium' ones, which felt too hard at the beginning, I found for me they now play like the very soft ones used to.

this all was when i was very new to snooker, so a time when your cue action normally improves dramatically, timing wise. that can (or must, sometimes) change your tip liking, fact.

each one to his own, as it was said. But please don't call certain shots 'impossible with a hard tip', proving yourself clueless (no offense)

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
              Originally Posted by bongo View Post

a deaf dumb and blind stupid man?

sorry bongo, no offence, but they couldn't be more different....
              I'll second Mike here...
              Last edited by Krypton; 25 September 2009, 05:27 AM.

Comment

I will stand corrected in my choice of phrase and correct it to "impossible for me" and my cue action was what I would have considered to be pretty good.

Cheers Kyrpton

Comment

Working...
                X