how do you shape your tips ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
    Also try gluing a piece of sandpaper to the inside of a 15mm diameter plastic tube thats cut in half.
    Very good method.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      when you use sandpaper on your tips there's a chance you may leave behind fine bits of glass from the sandpaper in your tip.
      I have heard of that reason before, but I still use sandpaper anyway!

Comment

Using a scalpel is a better way to cut as the blade is sharper and thinner. But beware that your not too aggressive as ive had them ping everywhere and a 1 inch long scar of what happens when you slip. If you look for Swan 10a blades they are best. 10's have a curved end and are only good for surgery, 11's are simply too slim and the blade will snap. You can get them at any good stationery place.

Also try 3M 220 grit paper. Its what i use and its dam good stuff and wont break up on your tip. Pricey mind.
        Speaking of blades/scalpels, Did you ever experience this really minor scratches on the ferrule after trimming the tip ? usually I mange to avoid it, but very occasionally it happens and its really annoying...Don't know what's the reason. Any idea why and how to remove this minor scratches? I've tried 0000 wire wool, it made the ferrule very flashy but underline the scratches.
        Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

To help prevent scratching the ferrule I usually stick on a piece of electricians tape the same width as the ferrule, I use electricians tape as it's not too sticky.

No idea how you can get really deep scratches out of the ferrule though, I just polish mine up with 00000 wire wool, but like you say, it won't get rid of the scratches.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dan27 View Post
            To help prevent scratching the ferrule I usually stick on a piece of electricians tape the same width as the ferrule, I use electricians tape as it's not too sticky.

No idea how you can get really deep scratches out of the ferrule though, I just polish mine up with 00000 wire wool, but like you say, it won't get rid of the scratches.
            same to U Dan27. I use "scotch" to protect the ferrule.

Comment

Using a scalpel is a better way to cut as the blade is sharper and thinner. But beware that your not too aggressive as ive had them ping everywhere and a 1 inch long scar of what happens when you slip. If you look for Swan 10a blades they are best. 10's have a curved end and are only good for surgery, 11's are simply too slim and the blade will snap. You can get them at any good stationery place.

Also try 3M 220 grit paper. Its what i use and its dam good stuff and wont break up on your tip. Pricey mind.
              very good advice - you are turning into me dan!
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by xander View Post
                ok so how do you guys shape your tips by that i mean wot tools do you use ?
                watch this, for all the gimmicks and 'ideas', this is all you need to do:

http://www.handmadecues.com/info/30-retipping.htm
                The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

thanks mike
                  i just bought some of your tips of ebay as your site was down

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Very useful. I've just got a new cue and didn't know how to get the tip into a playable shape. Tried sandpaper, file etc but seems to take for ages. Many days of continuous use seems to work!!

Comment

see the ultimate tip gide by ADR147 on this forum

Comment

when i put on a new tip i will shape it roughly then play with it for about 10/15 frames to bed the tip in. then finaly shape it to how i like it doing it this way i have found that it keeps its shape better and you dont have to keep messing with it. just like to say i have just started playing with mike wooldridge's super tips the pressed ones best tips i have ever used by a country mile i would strongly recommend them to anyone

Comment

Working...
                        X