No announcement yet.

The tip thread!!:D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get rid of the tip. stock tips most of the time arent the best. often stock tips (especially on cheap cues) get soaked in whatever finish is on the cue. ive seen cheap cues where the tip have been varnished, to the point its constantly stif even after sanding it down to a dome. some cheap tips probably absorb it in more, if the fibre of the leather comes apart easy, and it will dry a hard stiff unuseable tip. just chuck a elk or bluediamond on there, and see how u play then, since they are pretty standard tips. most club cues use them. also, make sure you rough the tip a bit so it holds chalk.

miscueing is also in the cue action, just because u can get spin with someone elses cue doesnt mean u hav a great action. ive seen great players play with darn awful tips and get results, when i end up miscueing when i try the same shot. =] get medium grade tip. very standard. dont worry too much about it being a good/bad one for now.

Comment

Originally Posted by alang184 View Post
      Disco_Dave - I'm in the exact same position. I recently bought a new cue and the tip seems to be quite hard. Although I may not be an amazing cueist, I do know how to play properly with screw etc! I find with screw that if I don't use a lot of power, I miscue, and worst of all it seems to damage the cue ball.

I thought there was something wrong with the balls, but I bought some better balls today and the same thing is happening. So I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the balls.

I have already shaped the tip. But maybe I need to give more car in shaping it?
      If your damaging the white I would guess you have let your tip where down too low and the ferrule is hitting the ball.
      At the end of the day which tip you use is completely personal preference but everyone would agree you need a good tip, no matter which you choose. (By that I mean don't skimp and buy any old rubbish, as a bad tip will surely impair your game go for a main manufacturer, elkmaster are about the cheapest I would buy and use them myself)
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
        If your damaging the white I would guess you have let your tip where down too low and the ferrule is hitting the ball.
        Nah, definitely not that! There is loads of tip above the ferrule.

From reading what BoBnoGGin said, I'd say the tip is just rubbish. Even after carefully sanding it into a dome shape, and tapping the top a bit, it's still very hard.

I bought a few tips which seem noticeably a bit softer, so I may try and replace with one of those.

Comment

BoBnoGGin is right .. tips provided on new cues are there because the cue looks incomplete without one. Cut it off and replace it. If you want a place to start, try an Elkmaster medium. They are cheap and except for the occasional one, good tips with lots of grab on the cue ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyndrel View Post
            BoBnoGGin is right .. tips provided on new cues are there because the cue looks incomplete without one. Cut it off and replace it. If you want a place to start, try an Elkmaster medium. They are cheap and except for the occasional one, good tips with lots of grab on the cue ball.
            Thanks. Yes, I already have some replacement tips; 9mm Elkmaster. I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

Comment

how big is the tip/ferrule?

if its a 9mm ferrule, id say use a 10mm tip and trim it down. much better. rather than accidentally missing the spot and having it stuck lop sided first time u try. seeing as youre a first timer at this? or evn better, take it into ur club or local cue docter, and hav him put one on for u. should b cheap, but at least you know he will do a good job

Comment

Guys, im just founded something on my experiment a week ago, I got a Samsara Jump Break Tip from a friend of mine, and im were thinking giving a try by installed this tip on my MW snooker cue, btw my spec are 9.2mm, im installed it thick and im trim it flush to the ferrule.. the cue feel very whippy, maple shaft with medium flex.
                Btw here are the result after the tip been installed, in past im quite struggle getting a very hard tip that will last it shape, seem now my problem would be solve forever, this samsara cue tip grip very well and very consistence feeling compare to the tip out there for snooker, i run my test on multiple table in the club, the result this tip play very2 well and low trow effect.. play with side no issue at all, and less effort of using power, due this tip spring like hell.. now i do not require so much power shot on my stroke.
                The only thing that i need to get use to is the sound that came onimpart with cue ball.. sound like gunshot fire.. way to crisp.

my suggestions if you guys out there who like playing snooker with very hard compressed tip, give this a try, get a Samsara All Leather Jump Break tip, buy Magic Chalk so you never miss cue with your shot when using this tip, as this cue tip will not accept standard master chalk or other cheap chalk on the club. Shape the tip domeas you like, get use to sound and the feeling on every shot you made with this tip.. then trust me you never regret.. it been a week now after this test been experimented, im playing everyday somewhere around 8hrs a day non stop, and im still happy with my cue tip shape that not damage at all..

Comment

Guys, im just founded something on my experiment a week ago, I got a Samsara Jump Break Tip from a friend of mine, and im were thinking giving a try by installed this tip on my MW snooker cue, btw my spec are 9.2mm, im installed it thick and im trim it flush to the ferrule.. the cue feel very whippy, maple shaft with medium flex.
                  Btw here are the result after the tip been installed, in past im quite struggle getting a very hard tip that will last it shape, seem now my problem would be solve forever, this samsara cue tip grip very well and very consistence feeling compare to the tip out there for snooker, i run my test on multiple table in the club, the result this tip play very2 well and low trow effect.. play with side no issue at all, and less effort of using power, due this tip spring like hell.. now i do not require so much power shot on my stroke.
                  The only thing that i need to get use to is the sound that came onimpart with cue ball.. sound like gunshot fire.. way to crisp.

my suggestions if you guys out there who like playing snooker with very hard compressed tip, give this a try, get a Samsara All Leather Jump Break tip, buy Magic Chalk so you never miss cue with your shot when using this tip, as this cue tip will not accept standard master chalk or other cheap chalk on the club. Shape the tip domeas you like, get use to sound and the feeling on every shot you made with this tip.. then trust me you never regret.. it been a week now after this test been experimented, im playing everyday somewhere around 8hrs a day non stop, and im still happy with my cue tip shape that not damage at all..

Comment

Working...
                  X