Joe Porper tip trimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
    Thats like i have my tips and its so much easier and quicker with this tool , as said allow yourself to become familiar with it .
    I first saw this style on a cue from Uncle Vit. I loved it, and wondered how on earth you finish a tip this way. Thanks for the info.
    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by x3dnd3x View Post
      hotpot

Could you briefly explain how to use this tool? I search the net but couldn't find any videos showing how its being used. I could see a blade and also a knob but don't see any holes. So basically I just insert this onto my tip and turn? Or is the blade used to trim the excess tip?

I found a place in my country which sells this and its cheaper when factored in shipping from UK so I'm interested.
      Hi, I'll be in Singapore this mid-August, could you pls PM me the name/address of this store selling this same item? I like to get one when I'm there. Many thnks!

Comment

Originally Posted by ongkia View Post
        Hi, I'll be in Singapore this mid-August, could you pls PM me the name/address of this store selling this same item? I like to get one when I'm there. Many thnks!
        The Q shop. Full address would be 261 Waterloo Street #01-15 S180261. If you're taking a taxi, tell the uncle to bring you to Waterloo Centre. If by public transport, take the mrt to Dhoby Ghaut and transfer to Bras Basah station. It'll be from red line transferring to orange line(north south line to circle line). After you come out of exit D(I think its either exit D or C), walk straight down the road. You'll face 2 pubs on your right. Its only like 5mins walk and you'll see Waterloo Centre on your right. The Q Shop is selling that item for SGD23. They have most accessories for both snooker and pool but cue wise, they have very little selection on snooker cues. If I remember correctly, they only have the higher end Omin and Powerglide cues. Do remember to remove your footwear before you walk in otherwise the boss would scold you. This was from my personal experience. Haha.

Oh and btw, they're close on Sundays. Hope this helps.

Comment

To x3dnd3x,

Thnks again for the very detailed info! It sure helps.

Comment

Originally Posted by x3dnd3x View Post
            hotpot

Could you briefly explain how to use this tool? I search the net but couldn't find any videos showing how its being used. I could see a blade and also a knob but don't see any holes. So basically I just insert this onto my tip and turn? Or is the blade used to trim the excess tip?

I found a place in my country which sells this and its cheaper when factored in shipping from UK so I'm interested.
            There is a hole which you insert the tip into . There is a knob that controls the angle of the blade . Basically if you want a flush tip then hold the trimmer up straight turn it around the tip taking a little off at a time . If you want a mushroom tip and want to shave the tip at the bottom near the ferrule just tilt the trimmer to the left and do the same , if you want to concentrate on the top end of the tip then tilt to the right .

Comment

There is a hole which you insert the tip into . There is a knob that controls the angle of the blade . Basically if you want a flush tip then hold the trimmer up straight turn it around the tip taking a little off at a time . If you want a mushroom tip and want to shave the tip at the bottom near the ferrule just tilt the trimmer to the left and do the same , if you want to concentrate on the top end of the tip then tilt to the right .
              Thanks for the information. I believe I'll get this tool and try it out. Was contemplating because I only looked at the prices from UK and US. Didn't know my local cue shop has it at an affordable pricing too.

Comment

actually, you are not quite correct there mate.

the adjustment screw you are talking about is not to adjust any angle, it is purely to adjust to the height of the tip so that the ferrule is in no danger of being cut.

the hole is for 14mm tips. it's an american pool cue tool. it is meant to fit quite close and remove the mushrooming/overhang of a tip so that it the tip is flush(ish) with the ferrule.

it is not really designed to be tilted and used as you are using it, although i can see it could work well doing it like that. but i can also see how someone may mark or damage their ferrule or wood by rubbing the metal edge on their cue to 'make it' cut a 10mm tip.

the angles you are achieving are simply cos the hole is 'sloppy' so you are able to lean either to the top or bottom, but, as i said, from what you are doing it can be utilised to your advantage. but you gotta be careful eh...

i've decided to make a modified version to fit snooker/pool cues. it'll be even better...

also, the little tip trimmer needs modifying to suit our tip sizes. i'll do one of them too.

pre-orders welcome, who wants one?
                The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post

the adjustment screw you are talking about is not to adjust any angle, it is purely to adjust to the height of the tip so that the ferrule is in no danger of being cut.

the hole is for 14mm tips. it's an american pool cue tool. it is meant to fit quite close and remove the mushrooming/overhang of a tip so that it the tip is flush(ish) with the ferrule.

it is not really designed to be tilted and used as you are using it, although i can see it could work well doing it like that. but i can also see how someone may mark or damage their ferrule or wood by rubbing the metal edge on their cue to 'make it' cut a 10mm tip.

the angles you are achieving are simply cos the hole is 'sloppy' so you are able to lean either to the top or bottom, but, as i said, from what you are doing it can be utilised to your advantage. but you gotta be careful eh...

i've decided to make a modified version to fit snooker/pool cues. it'll be even better...

also, the little tip trimmer needs modifying to suit our tip sizes. i'll do one of them too.

I'll have one, otherwise I can see me slicing my shiny black ferrule and then I wouldn't need my Kirk suit !

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
                    I'll have one, otherwise I can see me slicing my shiny black ferrule and then I wouldn't need my Kirk suit !
                    lol. watch this space. i'll be pestering my engineer with designs in the next few days.

i'll also try to make it so standard stanley type blades can be fitted so it's very cheap to replace blades.
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Sounds great I will definitely have 1 mike when they ready
                      77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

lol. watch this space. i'll be pestering my engineer with designs in the next few days.

i'll also try to make it so standard stanley type blades can be fitted so it's very cheap to replace blades.
                        Careful Mike, the Trolls will be accusing you of "marketing a gimmick" again before you can say tw*t

Sounds like a good idea to me though...

Comment

My mistake , i thought it controlled the angle of the blade .

Comment

I'm more concerned about the pricing and shipping cost.

I never doubt your work at all.

Comment

My mistake , i thought it controlled the angle of the blade .
                              Don't get me wrong, I can see how that worked for you. I think it's a good adaption.

Just saying it's meant to cut the sides straight and remove any mushrooming, hence 'mushroom grazer'.

The screw adjustment is to ensure the blade point only cuts the length of the tip sides and not cut into the ferrule at all.

Of course, this works the same way if you insert a smaller tipped cue and angle it as you said. You can set the height so the cut is where you want it, but it probably takes a fair bit if skill to hold and use it just right.

I have not had the chance to actually try what you do, so I'm interested to know if you found it a little bit awkward?
                              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Yes it does take a bit of mastering Mike but once got the hang of its a very versatile tool and you can shape tips Mushroom etc very accurately and neatly . Anyone trying this method i would advise like you have said to mask off the ferrule so you can tell when youre trimming below the tip .

Comment

Working...
                                X