Tip Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by tofushop193 View Post
    I just fixed this tip yesterday. On soft shots it happen but nv happen on power shots. Its very irritating. What should I do to fix it if it nv goes away. Its a adr tip
    as been said usually not enough glue and an air pocket also (more often) not cleaning the ferrule and tenon enough of old glue. Also the bottom of the tip was not sanded down to a flat and this can cause a pocket
    Last edited by DeanH; 12 July 2014, 08:49 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
      What kind of glue did you use? How did you sand the tip bottom? How did you clean the ferrule? Did you check that the tip sits flush before applying glue? How did you trim the tip sides? Was the knife super sharp?
      i used super glue, not gel type., i sanded the bottom using 120 grit paper but did not sand long enough to remove the wordings below. it is an adr tip so it writes glue.
      i use a pen knife to remove all glue and after that sanded the top till flush. i use the pen knife edge to check for any gap. the tip actually wasnt sitting flush. how do i make it flush. because i check the ferrule it was flush with the wood and i sanded the tip.

i used the big sharperner to trim the tip. and the knife was sharp. this is the 2nd time i used it. first time was changing an elk on my other cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        as been said usually not enough glue and an air pocket also (more often) not cleaning the ferrule and tenon enough of old glue. Also the bottom of the tip was not sanded down to a flat and this can cause a pocket
        hi dean

i did put on a lot of glue to cover the ferrule and the exposed wood within the ferrule. what steps to do to prevent an air pocket? i sanded the bottom of the tip. i lay down my sand paper on a flat surface and rub my tip on it. or is it the wording on the tip causing the air pocket?

if the problem does goes away do i remove the tip and do it again?

Comment

Originally Posted by tofushop193 View Post
          i used super glue, not gel type., i sanded the bottom using 120 grit paper but did not sand long enough to remove the wordings below. it is an adr tip so it writes glue.
          i use a pen knife to remove all glue and after that sanded the top till flush. i use the pen knife edge to check for any gap. the tip actually wasnt sitting flush. how do i make it flush. because i check the ferrule it was flush with the wood and i sanded the tip.

i used the big sharperner to trim the tip. and the knife was sharp. this is the 2nd time i used it. first time was changing an elk on my other cue.
          You have to remove the words "glue" from the bottom of the tip so that all you can see is the leather. That will definitely create a gap - especially with regular liquid super glue. Don't sand the tip in one direction either. Place your medium grit emery cloth (dont use coarse) sandpaper on a flat surface and hold the sandpaper down with two fingers, spread your two fingers to create a sanding spot. Sand the tip glue side down on the sandpaper using your other hand to hold the tip lightly. Don't force the tip down into the paper. Use random motion via a figure 8 motion, left right and up down to make sure you are sanding the tip dead flat. Remove just enough to remove the wording and make sure the bottom is clean. Test the tip flatness by placing on your blade and looking for gaps.

Regular superglue isn't good for this application. You need to be using either Loctite Gel or Gorilla high impact gel formula. These super gel glues are cyanacrolite based glues, so light pressure increases the bond (link). Also a thinner cover works better than a thicker application. After applying a small drop of gel to the ferrule (generally the smallest drop that comes out of the bottle), slowly and carefully place the tip on the cue, center it. Wait a few seconds, and then very gently tap the tip down with one finger. Keep turning the cue and recenter the tip, tapping gently until it looks seated. Glue should squirt out on all sides evenly. The cue needs to be held vertical. Press down on the tip with your thumb and hold. After 30 seconds or so of holding remove the air pocket. Do this by turning the cue upside down and carefully bouncing it one time from 12" above a hard concrete surface. Then, use a tip clamp of some kind to hold the tip down. I use rubber bands and a strip of bicycle tubing. This last bouncing and clamping step is optional but it's how I have always done it, but I don't believe it's actually necessary. I have never tried using the tip after just thumb clamping.
          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Epoxy glues seem to do the trick!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gorilla-Glue...rds=epoxy+glue

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
              Yes, I know this problem well and have had it happen before. I THINK you have an air gap or the tip isn't on properly, OR you have a bad tip, OR it's just temporary.
              [...] OR the ferrule is loose/not glued properly. If the previous tip has been removed in a not so gentle manner it may have affected the ferrule, too. May be hard to tell the difference between pocket air and other tip/ferrule issue (unfortunately), but if the ferrule is loose it is easy to check once the tip has been removed and everything all cleaned up. And even if the tip was removed properly, the ferrule may have been loose to begin with -- happened to me with a renowned cue maker (cue was delivered to me like that).

Comment

Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
                [...] OR the ferrule is loose/not glued properly. If the previous tip has been removed in a not so gentle manner it may have affected the ferrule, too. May be hard to tell the difference between pocket air and other tip/ferrule issue (unfortunately), but if the ferrule is loose it is easy to check once the tip has been removed and everything all cleaned up. And even if the tip was removed properly, the ferrule may have been loose to begin with -- happened to me with a renowned cue maker (cue was delivered to me like that).
                Good to know. Never seen that before in this situation.
                Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Working...
                X