No announcement yet.

How many of you make your own milkduds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that actually use a clamp or vice, how do you all gauge how much you're pressing down? Anyone of you place a ruler by the side?

I heard from some that are making their own milkduds, they actually took 1 month just to produce 1 tip. I press for 24 hours. How about most of you?
    Last edited by x3dnd3x; 17 August 2014, 02:20 AM.

Comment

I compress all my tips before installing them. I put four of them between two pieces of steel, then mount them in a vice. I tighten until I have to apply significant pressure. I leave them in the vice for a few days, tightening it again on the second day. For milk duds, I would always let them sit for a few more days before installing them. I have no idea how much pressure has been applied over all, but the bedding in time is quite short with little to no mushrooming. All I can say is that they are quite flat when I take them out of the vice. This might not be consistent with how others do it, but who said we were all alike.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
        I compress all my tips before installing them. I put four of them between two pieces of steel, then mount them in a vice. I tighten until I have to apply significant pressure. I leave them in the vice for a few days, tightening it again on the second day. For milk duds, I would always let them sit for a few more days before installing them. I have no idea how much pressure has been applied over all, but the bedding in time is quite short with little to no mushrooming. All I can say is that they are quite flat when I take them out of the vice. This might not be consistent with how others do it, but who said we were all alike.
        Seems like many uses this method and leave them for a few days.

Comment

the vice I use has a more rounded bottom bit so if you compress them it does not flatten them out of shape - they sell these vices on craftsman's site but I bought mine online from good ol China

Comment

the thought crossed my mind earlier and had to dig it up. with all the tip options around now does anyone still do this?

Comment

Originally Posted by qc2 View Post
              the thought crossed my mind earlier and had to dig it up. with all the tip options around now does anyone still do this?
              It's still a pretty active topic on Azbilliards. Didn't seem to catch on over here so much.

Comment

Learn it from Snooker Crazy Web: https://www.snookercrazy.com/elkmast...-dud-cue-tips/.
                I'm using G clamp. I prefer hard tip so I just clamp as hard
                The result, lovely

Resizer_15574462192370.jpg
                Resizer_15574463625850.jpg
                Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Fisherboi View Post
                  Learn it from Snooker Crazy Web: https://www.snookercrazy.com/elkmast...-dud-cue-tips/.
                  I'm using G clamp. I prefer hard tip so I just clamp as hard
                  The result, lovely

[ATTACH]19229[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]19230[/ATTACH]
                  I put the blogs together on this after reading some of the pool players comments in the states. They gained superb tip grip on theirs so I thought I would give it a go.

I made many types of batches but what was consistent was the amount of grip compared to other tips (at the time).

I eventually stopped using them in my snooker a I couldn't cope with the amount of grip; it was like trying to tame a wild horse!

Whether a better player could play with them for snooker would be interesting but really popular for pool.

I'm continually asked for samples but I haven't made any for around 2 years I would have thought, very easy to give a go and the tips are cheap.
                  Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                  Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                  Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                    I eventually stopped using them in my snooker a I couldn't cope with the amount of grip; it was like trying to tame a wild horse!
                    sounds a bit like the pro granite tips

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                      I put the blogs together on this after reading some of the pool players comments in the states. They gained superb tip grip on theirs so I thought I would give it a go.

I made many types of batches but what was consistent was the amount of grip compared to other tips (at the time).

Whether a better player could play with them for snooker would be interesting but really popular for pool.

I'm continually asked for samples but I haven't made any for around 2 years I would have thought, very easy to give a go and the tips are cheap.
                      I think I’ll give this a go with a few Grand medium tips

Comment

Never tried this myself, i was watching a pool video a while back and it was mentioned Earl Strickland does this with Elkmasters, but seeing as it was Earl i thought it was another of hisd gimmicks. First time i'd ever heard of it in that vid.

Comment

I have some of these if wants to buy them.
                          Much to heard for me but they are the hardest tips I've used...
                          Last edited by Ninja.cues; 11 May 2019, 10:40 AM.
                          For that one you've always wanted...
                          https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
                            I have some of these if wants to buy them.
                            Much to heard for me but they are the hardest tips I've used...
                            I meant the Pro Granite tips

Comment

They are out of production I think. What is left is the last few ones.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                                They are out of production I think. What is left is the last few ones.
                                Should have put it in for sale but have some I'm never going to use, if anyone is interested..?

Comment

Working...
                                X