Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are cue extensions generally cheap crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
    no but it doesnt mean the market price should be £40 lol
    That's all dictated by what people are prepared to pay. If they are willing to shell out £5/600 on a cue then another £40 won't hurt

Comment

I don't just use a waste piece of ash that's lying about, some really solid ironwood like ekki or ipe makes a great mini butt, and no it doesn't weigh a lot, but it does bring the balance back to something you can feel in your grip hand unlike a very light mini butt that makes the cue feel a bit vague as the whole of the cue seems to feel beyond your grip hand.

As for the mini butt mating to the butt of the cue without a gap, it could be done with the right tool in the lathe, something to look into methinks.
      If anyone wants a solid mini butt made pm me.
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
        I don't just use a waste piece of ash that's lying about, some really solid ironwood like ekki or ipe makes a great mini butt, and no it doesn't weigh a lot, but it does bring the balance back to something you can feel in your grip hand unlike a very light mini butt that makes the cue feel a bit vague as the whole of the cue seems to feel beyond your grip hand.

As for the mini butt mating to the butt of the cue without a gap, it could be done with the right tool in the lathe, something to look into methinks.
        If anyone wants a solid mini butt made pm me.
        Thanks for the post vmax, glad other people get the point about a nice piece of wood for the mini butt and the feel of it. There is definitely a future for an almost "seamless" mini butt.

p.s. Like the new quote - Crosby, Stills and Nash right? Mr Stills "Treetop flyer" one of my favourite all time cuts.

https://youtu.be/opBe5z0qwRE
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
          p.s. Like the new quote - Crosby, Stills and Nash right?
          Right, David Crosby : If I Could Only Remember My Name, one of my favourite albums.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

So I couldn't wait for innovative perfection and decided on buying the ebony wood 6" spiro lock mini butt from Craftsman cues, it arrived today. First impressions were good, it was a few mm wider than my current resin one and was longer too, happy days?

Not really, although it is advertised as for Maximus/Phoenix cues, it rocks side to side a little once screwed in tight!!

The hunt continues......:snooker:
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

So I couldn't wait for innovative perfection and decided on buying the ebony wood 6" spiro lock mini butt from Craftsman cues, it arrived today. First impressions were good, it was a few mm wider than my current resin one and was longer too, happy days?

Not really, although it is advertised as for Maximus/Phoenix cues, it rocks side to side a little once screwed in tight!!

Custom made is the way to go. But you'll have to send your cue off to whomever you decide to send the cue too... So you'll have to do without for a few days / weeks.

Best time would be out of season if you play in a team or do tournaments
              "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
              National Snooker Expo
              25-27 October 2019
              http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                Custom made is the way to go. But you'll have to send your cue off to whomever you decide to send the cue too... So you'll have to do without for a few days / weeks.

Best time would be out of season if you play in a team or do tournaments
                I know you are right bud, but it's scary........
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Not really, just send the mini butt you already have as it has the male part of the joint in it; it's easy to remove it and fit it to a new one so it fits your cue exactly.
                  If you don't have a mini butt then yes the cue will have to go too.

Comment

if the cue is a 3/4 you only have to send the butt

if the extension is rocking slightly, then possibly the female part is set slightly too deep so the screw does not catch completely. Only takes a small amount the for spiro not to catch fully.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I know you are right bud, but it's scary........
                      I know what you mean.
                      I've got a one piece that's only 56" but plays like a (for me) dream. However I concede to using the rest more often than not because I don't have a screw in extension.

I'd like to get 3 made
                      1. 3"
                      2. 6"
                      3. Extendable

But I'm scared that the extra weight at the bottom may ruin how she plays and feels...
                      "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                      National Snooker Expo
                      25-27 October 2019
                      http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

.....But I'm scared that the extra weight at the bottom may ruin how she plays and feels...
                        It's for the occasional shot, not worth getting concerned about, if it's good enough for every other snooker player it should be good enough for you

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          It's for the occasional shot, not worth getting concerned about, if it's good enough for every other snooker player it should be good enough for you
                          this is my view, for the odd shot, the difference it negligible (well to me anyway ) and they are tools to do a job, to enable you to pot the ball to keep the break going and win the frame !
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I know what you mean.
                            I've got a one piece that's only 56" but plays like a (for me) dream. However I concede to using the rest more often than not because I don't have a screw in extension.

I'd like to get 3 made
                            1. 3"
                            2. 6"
                            3. Extendable

But I'm scared that the extra weight at the bottom may ruin how she plays and feels...
                            The female part of a spirolock joint weighs only 0.38 of an ounce or 11 grammes, take away the 25mm X 12mm of wood that will be drilled out and the difference is tiny and nothing to be concerned about, the balance point will move less than 10mm, something you won't even notice.

Comment

Ahh just realised you meant added weight at bottom of cue for the butt joint, well i bet you wouldn't even notice it as vmax commented
                              (i thought you were talking about added weight of using a mini butt d'oh !)

Comment

There are two types of spirolock joints, one is smaller than the other so buyer beware.

Comment

Working...
                                X