Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are cue extensions generally cheap crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    The female part of a spirolock joint weighs only 0.38 of an ounce or 11 grammes, take away the 25mm X 12mm of wood that will be drilled out and the difference is tiny and nothing to be concerned about, the balance point will move less than 10mm, something you won't even notice.
    Thanks vmax!
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

There are two types of spirolock joints, one is smaller than the other so buyer beware.
      Thanks, fortunately they are identical and I think the rocking can be remedied by taking the lip of the rim down slightly. The spirolock is recessed slightly too much for it to get home sufficiently.

[IMG][/IMG]
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        Thanks, fortunately they are identical and I think the rocking can be remedied by taking the lip of the rim down slightly. The spirolock is recessed slightly too much for it to get home sufficiently.
        send it to me and I'll take it back on the lathe for the cost of postage, thirty second job so no charge.
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

send it to me and I'll take it back on the lathe for the cost of postage, thirty second job so no charge.
          That's very kind and thank you but I'm lucky enough to have a local pal who can do it for me.

Cheers.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
            I've seen spirolocs in these recessed types before, they don't fit well.

For a spiroloc to fit perfectly it cannot:

1. Be fitted in a recess or it won't lock fully (as stated earlier)
            2. Be fitted proud or the area around the base of the spiroloc will leave a slight gap around the base of the cue and put all the pressure on the joint.
            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I like the idea of something a bit more sturdy and quality for a telescopic extension but it's whether it would sell.

It would be a small market but i'm sure would make a few bob here and there.

For me you would have to have a metallic joint at the bottom of the cue and the top of the extension for a sound fit; a little like Cue Crafty's earlier pic but you wouldn't want it to wear on the bottom of a cue if it were wood.
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                It's for the occasional shot, not worth getting concerned about, if it's good enough for every other snooker player it should be good enough for you
                this is my view, for the odd shot, the difference it negligible (well to me anyway ) and they are tools to do a job, to enable you to pot the ball to keep the break going and win the frame !
                I hear ya fellas, but this is more about continued progress. The original ideas of a full butt and a half butt , have been replaced with firstly , the push fit extendable then the screw in Extn.

Would you still want to use them? Why stop here........ If you can think of it, it can be created, at first it will be expensive to create but if it's good people will want it, then it gets mass produced and the price drops....

I don't blame the tools and don't expect this to improve my game, but I do like design and improvement.
                Last edited by Cue crafty; 25 November 2018, 09:10 PM.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

What about the Telecue ?
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

What about the Telecue ?
                    Still got my telecue extenda from the 80's , perfect still to use on a standard rest to create a modern half/full butt.
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

What about the Telecue ?
                      I know Ronnie would laff at this ****e, but that's only because he could make a 147 with a chop stick!
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I know Ronnie would laff at this ****e, but that's only because he could make a 147 with a chop stick!
                        Well he is probably the only pro who doesn't use a screw in extension on his cue.
                        But when one is recognised as an ambidextrous genius then who needs an extension!

That's it, I've decided just to practice harder and get as good as Ronnie
                        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019
                        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
                          Iwould like to see a mini butt with the the joint end an inverted version of the shape of the base of the cue if that make sense. A continuation of the flat as well would be good to try. The idea being that it feels as much of a continuation of the cue as possible. I hate that dip between the rounded bottom of the cue and the flat edge of the mini butt.
                          Looks like the new revolution has already started back in 2008 with this 1 Klik joint ! The design would we like should be possible with this joint. Need to research this more as I can't understand why it's not more widely used. Hmmmm?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Klik-Snooker-butt-joint-solid-brass-New-improved-design-NO-THREADS-/291787336803
                          Last edited by Cue crafty; 29 November 2018, 04:01 PM.
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Cuemakers wants you to buy their jointed extensions hence recently why Ton Praram has changed his joint. He’s gone from a typical Thai mini spiralock joint to his own version 2 joint. If you buy a new Ton Praram now then you have to buy his extensions and not a Maximus, Phoenix etc.
                            VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                            Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                            Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                            Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

I think I saw there is a hole in Ronnie's cue so he could use his own extension if John Parris gave him one

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                                Well he is probably the only pro who doesn't use a screw in extension on his cue.
                                But when one is recognised as an ambidextrous genius then who needs an extension!

That's it, I've decided just to practice harder and get as good as Ronnie
                                Probably, but is he? For some reason (idiocy, maybe ) I think there that he isn't alone, and not with Tiffany for the poaters of a certain age

My cue is olde and doesn't have a socket. I am constantly tempted to get one fitted, but my Rest Play has REALLY improved, and posting this has me wondering if it is more consistent than usual shots, and put the idea to bed for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X