• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Walton
    replied
    Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
    Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
    Stevie, haven't got a photo for you but if you search e-bay for "wire wool 0000" you'll see what it looks like. B&Q sell it as well. Looks a bit like a large Brillo pad, greyish in colour. I'm not sure what the best make is but maybe someone will advise. Important to get the grade 0000 stuff as it's fine.
    Thanks Bigmeek al have a look do you tape the cue up before a use it
    You could put a little masking tape below the ferrule but I usually don't. The wire wool is that fine it won't really damage the finish on the shaft, if it does lighten the colour slightly just put a little oil on the affected area

Leave a comment:

• Removal man stevie
    replied
    Stevie, haven't got a photo for you but if you search e-bay for "wire wool 0000" you'll see what it looks like. B&Q sell it as well. Looks a bit like a large Brillo pad, greyish in colour. I'm not sure what the best make is but maybe someone will advise. Important to get the grade 0000 stuff as it's fine.
    Thanks Bigmeek al have a look do you tape the cue up before a use it

Leave a comment:

• Dave Walton
    replied
    daft question but eny one got a pic of the wird wool so a get right kind?
    As long as its 0000 grade it doesn't really matter what make you buy. Personally use Liberon though as it was what was available lol

Leave a comment:

• luke-h
    replied

If you don't want to go down the avenue of wire wool, then may i suggest micro-mesh its a little more expensive but it does the trick and does it very well, they use it in the aircraft industry to polish cockpit glass. can find it on ebay

Just found on ebay a 6inch x12inch piece of 12000 grade will cost 2.99 and it will last ages.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micromesh-...item1e78e54cae
    Last edited by luke-h; 23 March 2014, 09:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hotpot
    replied
    get it on ebay much cheaper , i bought liberon and its good ..

Leave a comment:

• Bigmeek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Removal man stevie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bigmeek
    replied
    Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
    Tip shape is preferance, its upto you to decide on the degree of dome you like. I'd burnish the edge of the tip though mate
    Thanks Dave, will do.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Walton
    replied
    Here's my attempt at putting a MW supertip on. Ferrule size is 9.6mm and tip is 10mm. Hacked away at it with a craft knive then gave it a rub with fine sandpaper. I reckon the tip is about 9.7ish now. Do you think it needs a bit more of a dome shape? Any comments? Can take it off and have another bash.
    Tip shape is preferance, its upto you to decide on the degree of dome you like. I'd burnish the edge of the tip though mate

Leave a comment:

• Dave Walton
    replied
    Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
    Just tried trevs method, never done it like that before, seems to work!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16039[/ATTACH]
    Tip looks good, I'd put a little oil on the shaft just below the ferrule though, looks like you've caught it with the wire wool

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16039[/ATTACH]
    Nice Job Mike, i tried it once, my blade wasn't sharp enough tho

Leave a comment:

• perpetualboredom
    replied
    Photo 22-03-2014 18 12 49.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Bigmeek
    replied
    Here's my attempt at putting a MW supertip on. Ferrule size is 9.6mm and tip is 10mm. Hacked away at it with a craft knive then gave it a rub with fine sandpaper. I reckon the tip is about 9.7ish now. Do you think it needs a bit more of a dome shape? Any comments? Can take it off and have another bash.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dave Walton
    replied
    Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    trevors method is what i imagine all the cue makers use but it does require a degree of practise!
    It requires a new sharpe blade, that's for sure!

Leave a comment:

• x3dnd3x
    replied
    Terry.

I tried your method and I couldn't really get it to work. Took the Kamui beige out and fitted an oversized Elks to try your method. Its either my file is not rough enough or the technique I'm doing is all wrong.

If you don't mind, could you post up a video of how you file the tip in a downward motion?

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    p2user:

Cutting the tip in half is fine however you must be very careful to cut in line with the layers. I have some tips here from ADR which are called 'Bentleys' which I think were made for pool at they're 14mm and also have 14 layers, with the top couple being very small in diameter.

For these tips I think I would cut them in half to 7 layers each and then shape and use the top half.

Incidentally, with any tip but especially layered tips I never turn the cue upside down and cut off the excess with a sharp craft knife. It takes a lot more time however I use a 'b*stard' file which is fairly coarse and only use the file in a downward motion when reducing the tip. I feel cutting off the excess, even with a surgical blade you run the chances of loosening up the layers and with my method there's no chance of that as you would be compacting the tip with each stroke of the file.

Terry

Leave a comment:

Working...
X