Snooker cue tip recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker cue tip recommendation

When I was younger I used Blue diamond, Buffalo Diamond and Elk master and then found I was chasing tips that didn't lose its shape. Tried Grand, CC, MW, Talisman and Phoenix. I'm just a average player who likes a few hours once a week. Talisman M - hit a 54 and Phoenix M - hit a 54 (strange stats I know) but I do like these tips and they don't lose shape. Other tips I mentioned I either can't get the same response, or it loses shape which plays on my mind and I end up shaping it more than playing. So anyway, I found a cue on ebay (Peradon Knight for ?160) and decided to go for it. I put a Phoenix M on it and noticed a ping sound. I decided to try an Elk Master and make sure the ferrule was on correctly and everything was screwed together tight and it's sounds fine and played very well with it but, I'm back at losing shape again. The ferrule is just short of 10mm and all my tips are 10mm so I certainly need new ones. I don't want to mess around with milk duds and what ever else people are doing. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should be looking at tips wise or is the sound something I should get used to? I must state I'm a Phoenix cue fan but couldn't find any I wanted and and this is the first Peradon I have owned.
    Last edited by bringmeflowers; 29 December 2019, 12:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

Mine are pretty good.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
      Mine are pretty good.
      Are you self promoting again Andrew?
      I'll be honest and say I tried one ages ago but I was too into Talisman at the time and the feel just threw me off. But, I'm certainly willing to give them another go with the new cue. I assume all your tips come in 11mm? I just want a tip like those two. Maybe slightly softer than M and doesn't lose shape. I assume your tips would be naturally softer since Talisman is one of the hardest tips you can buy even at Medium?

Comment

Originally Posted by bringmeflowers View Post

Are you self promoting again Andrew?
        I'll be honest and say I tried one ages ago but I was too into Talisman at the time and the feel just threw me off. But, I'm certainly willing to give them another go with the new cue. I assume all your tips come in 11mm? I just want a tip like those two. Maybe slightly softer than M and doesn't lose shape. I assume your tips would be naturally softer since Talisman is one of the hardest tips you can buy even at Medium?
        yeah, I try not to but sometimes I must! - mine are grippier so they feel softer. the soft is pretty good - yes all 11mm

Comment

The ADR mjw is the best tip i ever used, it is extra hard which is what I like, grippy, reactive, and for me plays perfectly. I have also put an ADR medium layered on for Graeme Dott which he has been using for the last 3/4 months after switching over from kamui black medium

Comment

Monstar are the greatest I've ever had. Tried the rest, now sticking to the best
            Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
            https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Originally Posted by frazz View Post
              The ADR mjw is the best tip i ever used, it is extra hard which is what I like, grippy, reactive, and for me plays perfectly. I have also put an ADR medium layered on for Graeme Dott which he has been using for the last 3/4 months after switching over from kamui black medium
              Thanks for the input. I did mention I wanted something softer but kept shape like the other two brands. I am happy to buy adr tips (which I did this morning) but it is now becoming a little bit of a pushed sale. Personally I would never ever buy a tip just because a pro uses it. I have seen so many people say, "I use an elk because Ronnie does" and then they moan that it loses shape. Back in 2017 MJW mentioned ADR split on him and in 2018 he won the worlds with a CC tip that they made just for him. But that said, he likes rock hard tips and I don't. The only reason I used Talisman Mediums and Phoenix Mediums was mainly because they never lost shape.

Comment

I have spoken to mark many times regarding tips, he says any brand he tries splits. I only gave my opinion as it's what I use, I have tried near enough every brand of layered tip that's been out over the last 15+ years and have fitted many more for John Higgins, Graeme Dott, Jamie Burnett, James McBain, Scott Mackenzie and myself, everyone likes different, and has different opinions. Talisman medium play harder than their hard version for watever reason, phoenix mediums are like pebbles, I like a really hard tip which these tips are but I don't believe they give a good feel or reaction, the ADR extra hard to me is exactly what I want, it's basically the only tip I recommend to people, kamui are very good also and would be the only other layered tip I would go for other than the ADR. It don't matter what I recommend, Ronnie recommends, ADR recommends, your gonna find something eventually which you like and that's what you will recommend, other people's opinions to you may be terrible

Comment

Originally Posted by frazz View Post
                  I have spoken to mark many times regarding tips, he says any brand he tries splits. I only gave my opinion as it's what I use, I have tried near enough every brand of layered tip that's been out over the last 15+ years and have fitted many more for John Higgins, Graeme Dott, Jamie Burnett, James McBain, Scott Mackenzie and myself, everyone likes different, and has different opinions. Talisman medium play harder than their hard version for watever reason, phoenix mediums are like pebbles, I like a really hard tip which these tips are but I don't believe they give a good feel or reaction, the ADR extra hard to me is exactly what I want, it's basically the only tip I recommend to people, kamui are very good also and would be the only other layered tip I would go for other than the ADR. It don't matter what I recommend, Ronnie recommends, ADR recommends, your gonna find something eventually which you like and that's what you will recommend, other people's opinions to you may be terrible
                  I wasn't having a dig, I was just joking around since the owner of ADR147 tips was the first one to mention them and promote them and then you mentioned them afterwards with some recommendations of pros that have used them. Nothing wrong with what both of you have said or done. I have purchased them and I will certainly be giving them a big chance once they arrive. I have followed MJW on Twitter for some time and he said. "Kamui = all split . Talisman = all split . ADR 147 = all split . Every layered tip I have had on = ALL SPLIT". And then he won the worlds afterwards with a CC tip. But let's not forget how high his tips are. I'm sure the force he puts into long shots can't be good when it's compressing a rock hard tip that's 1/2 inch tall. Personally I can tell the difference in Phoenix and Talisman mediums because those are the main two I use but, i'm more for Phoenix these days. Hopefully ADR will change things up and be the new go to tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
                    Monstar are the greatest I've ever had. Tried the rest, now sticking to the best
                    I'm just not willing to pay ?10 for one tip. This is one big reason I haven't used a KAMUI. I dropped through the floor when I paid ?15 for 3 Talisman tips years ago lol. I probably sound tight but snooker is just a bit of fun for me but I'm certainly not knocking how much people pay for tips that may or may not be best (subjective). Tops, I usually pay ?15-?20 for 3 depending on prices at the time.

Comment

I wasn't having a dig, I was just joking around since the owner of ADR147 tips was the first one to mention them and promote them and then you mentioned them afterwards with some recommendations of pros that have used them. Nothing wrong with what both of you have said or done. I have purchased them and I will certainly be giving them a big chance once they arrive. I have followed MJW on Twitter for some time and he said. "Kamui = all split . Talisman = all split . ADR 147 = all split . Every layered tip I have had on = ALL SPLIT". And then he won the worlds afterwards with a CC tip. But let's not forget how high his tips are. I'm sure the force he puts into long shots can't be good when it's compressing a rock hard tip that's 1/2 inch tall. Personally I can tell the difference in Phoenix and Talisman mediums because those are the main two I use but, i'm more for Phoenix these days. Hopefully ADR will change things up and be the new go to tip.
                      You will not have seen me mentioning any players I supply with anything, be it my tips or anything else Unless you know me fairly well you would have no idea! My promotion is generally by word of mouth and customer loyalty. I try to make it so that the products speak for themselves and the customers always come back. I try anyway!

Comment

If these layered tips split.....why do players still persist with them?

Pressed tips for me , either ADR or MW.
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by Neil Taperell View Post
                          If these layered tips split.....why do players still persist with them?

Pressed tips for me , either ADR or MW.
                          All tips wear out, laminated tips are generally more consistent.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post

You will not have seen me mentioning any players I supply with anything, be it my tips or anything else Unless you know me fairly well you would have no idea! My promotion is generally by word of mouth and customer loyalty. I try to make it so that the products speak for themselves and the customers always come back. I try anyway!
                            Although I do not know you personally, I have read many of your comments over many many years. I remember you saying the same thing back then because certain companies like to mention who have used/using their cues/tips and even when they have moved on, they still make it a massive selling point. This is one of the reason why I said I don't care what a pro uses. I'm a guitarist and I'm going to play a guitar I like and not what a professional plays or what my favourite guitarist plays.

Comment

Although I do not know you personally, I have read many of your comments over many many years. I remember you saying the same thing back then because certain companies like to mention who have used/using their cues/tips and even when they have moved on, they still make it a massive selling point. This is one of the reason why I said I don't care what a pro uses. I'm a guitarist and I'm going to play a guitar I like and not what a professional plays or what my favourite guitarist plays.
                              The product needs to speak for itself to have any longevity. My son loves the guitar - half my income goes on various strings and expensive metal boxes!

Comment

Working...
                              X