No announcement yet.

Wooldridge "Super" tips...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy the pack of 3, Try 1, If you dont like them i am sure someone on the forum would buy them freind.

Comment

Stu at greenbaize sells them in singles... i recently had one pressed supertip and one soft talisman from stu...

2.50 for the mw and 6.00 for the tali...(free delivery too)

Comment

i found these tips a little hard , if i cued right at the bottom of the white for a power screw or soft cue i would often miss cue. So i have gone bacl to elkmasters, you are right when you said they are not all the same... but thats the price you have to pay with elkmasters!!! Just as a matter of fact i have just bought 3 Talismans to try .. the soft ones just as you have. i will post my findings whhen i put one on my cue!!

Comment

Originally Posted by stephen povey View Post
          i found these tips a little hard , if i cued right at the bottom of the white for a power screw or soft cue i would often miss cue. So i have gone bacl to elkmasters, you are right when you said they are not all the same... but thats the price you have to pay with elkmasters!!! Just as a matter of fact i have just bought 3 Talismans to try .. the soft ones just as you have. i will post my findings whhen i put one on my cue!!
          Well if you found the Mike tips hard, you ain't going to like the Talisman ones lol. it may say "soft" but they are a lot harder than a stone !

Comment

Personally i did,nt find much diiference in haedness between the M W and talisman soft . The M W sound harder though.

Comment

I am using the MW super tip... loving it. GREAT !! Thumb up.....

Comment

i am just about to change my tip, i have read many reviews for the mw supertip and most like them, but the mw tip is like any other it will take time to get used to and i think the comments made about the talisman tips through this thread are mostly wrong. i believe it not to be the tip to be a problem with the deep screw most seem not able to manage, but the the problem in the players cue action. but if you have no confidence in the tip it tends to make players snatch at the ball instead of a flowing cue action, also the talismans only get better in my opinion with feel, grip and spin its all about getting over the initial stages of wearing the tip in

Comment

I agree with you nostawmail, but you should also try the Kamui Black. I'm convinced most would prefer this over a Talisman, but maybe I'm biased since I just made the switch.

Comment

There is no "best tip", all brands will have a different feeling depending on the cue they're fitted to, and will be variable in how much they are preferred by the individual using the cue in question.

If you took ten cues, of various weights and specs and fitted all of them with a certain tip type (say Talisman soft for example), each cue would have its own unique contact sound, some harder, and some softer. Then, when you consider that some players prefer a harder contact sound and some prefer a softer sounding contact, how is it possible to say definitively which tip is "best".???

To state that one tip is 'definitely' better than the next can only really be relevant to that persons taste and their own cue.

It doesn't mean much at all to anyone else.
                    Last edited by trevs1; 28 April 2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Also agreed that there is no 'best' tip - like I said in an earlier post you have to try them all. The cost of the more expensive ones puts many people off and I reckon if Talisman, Moori, Kamui or MW supertips were all 25p there wouldn't be many people left using Elks. If Mercedes were the same price as Hyundai, or TW cues the same price as mass produced cues, would anyone still prefer the latter?
                      Last edited by limecc; 29 April 2011, 08:16 AM.

Comment

It's a good point about the price, and I'd agree to some extent that more people would be likely to "try" various tips if prices were lower. However, the issue remains the same in that some tip types will just not suit certain players using certain cues, no matter what the price of the tip. Elkmaster tips are inconsistent yes and the softest ones need to go straight into the bin but the good ones are as good as anything, which at maybe less than £0.30 a tip, does represent very good value.

Originally Posted by limecc View Post
                        Also agreed that there is no 'best' tip - like I said in an earlier post you have to try them all. The cost of the more expensive ones puts many people off and I reckon if Talisman, Moori, Kamui or MW supertips were all 25p there wouldn't be many people left using Elks. If Mercedes were the same price as Hyundai, or TW cues the same price as mass produced cues, would anyone still prefer the latter?

Comment

When I left school one of my first jobs was in a factory making leather jackets, one of my jobs was to cut the jacket shapes from the leather. The main part of the animal hide was solid, but towards the leg parts and lower body the leather was poor. These bits were cut off and binned, I would suspect that elks are made from off cuts of leather such as these and this would explain the random quality of the tips. You can buy a box of 50 elks from around £18, out of this you are bound to get a third that are good. So they represent outstanding value for money. The trick with elks is you need experience in order to pick the right ones this comes with time.

Comment

Interesting debate , I always carry two cues so one Saturday a few weeks ago i put a M W tip on both T W cues , One felt nice with minimal throw whilst it frelt awful on the other cue and the white was pulling n throwing with unintentional side , i found the same happened with pg,s just too grippy .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                              Interesting debate , I always carry two cues so one Saturday a few weeks ago i put a M W tip on both T W cues , One felt nice with minimal throw whilst it frelt awful on the other cue and the white was pulling n throwing with unintentional side , i found the same happened with pg,s just too grippy .
                              Thanks for the feedback hotpot. All down to experimenting and maybe a little bit of luck!

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                                So they represent outstanding value for money.
                                Define value for money. It might be another man's waste of money.

Quality items feel good to use, and they usually do the job better and could be worth the extra expense, but this is always subjective and depends on your values such as your interest in the subject and appreciation of the item's properties, can you afford it, etc etc. It's almost perverse if you decide to spend several hundred ££'s on a decent cue to then put a 30p tip on it. The more expensive offerings undoubtably do the job better for only the price of a gallon or two of fuel. Not exactly going to break the bank. I might not be able to play snooker as well as I'd like, but I would still highly appreciate and consider one of Trev's cues to be excellent value for money, like I do a laminated tip.

Hotpot - Why carry two cues (this suggests you're not completely happy with either), and how can a tip be TOO grippy? Maybe the MW tip was just exposing the faults (ie flexing) of your other cue and you should sell it?
                                Last edited by limecc; 30 April 2011, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X