No announcement yet.

pros cues eurosport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for uploading the video Matty... it was curious to hear that some players thought it a complete disaster if they were to lose their cue and some appeared to be rather less concerned.

I'd agree that it is very important to get used to the playing characteristics of the cue you are using as it would certainly help with the consistency and confidence building... but things get a bit stale at times and I like a bit of change now and then to keep the interest going...
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

i think some say they can play well with any cue, can say that with the assurance, as they still have their cue and would be a different matter if they had to start with a new one. people talking from experience, like mark williams recalls how long it takes to find and get used to one

Comment

Murphy speaks the most sense...

''its just a piece of wood, i play well with this one, but i would play well with another one too..''

Dont take Marco's cue, he might top himself!
        Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          That's exactly right matty. I remember Alex Higgins won his first world title with a Burwat Champion cue that he had played with since he was a yound lad. It got broken the following year and he spent the rest of his life fiddling around with various cues trying to find one the same.
          It's what you learn with, no matter what state it's, in that matters, and the way it feels becomes a part of your arm. Hendry's was bent, John Spencer's was bent and also had a nail in the butt holding it together. So to all you new players just taking up the game, any cue will do, learn and get used to it.
          top advice mate, yeap sent alex nuts looking for another burwat, he used to do his own diy on them, adding weights, drilling out to try and get the same feel.

Comment

Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
            Murphy speaks the most sense...

''its just a piece of wood, i play well with this one, but i would play well with another one too..''

Dont take Marco's cue, he might top himself!
            id like to say to murphy, go on then you talked me into it, ill swap ya! i know what his reply would be. might snap it for him to see if he changes his mind lol

Comment

Yeh im sure he wouldnt be so relaxed about it then...
              Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
                Yeh im sure he wouldnt be so relaxed about it then...
                deffo mate, its easy to say i can play with any cue, with your trusty cue in your hand.
                even joe davis suffered cue loss. and described how losing ones cue has ended many a pros career. he mentions willies ' pit prop' what wille called his cue. after someone broke it ( intentionally). he never played same. also Clark McConachy, gave his away to a lady player, having a spare, never played the same again

Comment

I somehow feel Murphy was just trying to suggest it was his stroke not his cue that he was playing so well. I do not believe he would change his cue unless it is broken into pieces.
                  With Hendry it was obviosu he is still searching for that magic wand so ti is confusing to hear him saying that the cue matter not a bit. May be he meant brand names do nto matter as long as it feels right or something along that line.
                  Not sure what is going on with Marco. He just does not look to be in form. I cannot help but wonder if his cue is really so good then what is going on. I was told when he used to play with a bent Adam half jointed cheap cue he was really awesome.
                  The only guy that does not seem to be bothered too much with a new cue is Ronnie. Having said that, the fact that he changes so often suggests to me he might indeed also be looking for one that feels perfect in his hand--although he has not found it yet he is so good he can still play to a very high level regardless.
                  I love Dominic Dale, he had this deep passion when he talked about cues, you can tell he really loves cues.
                  Last edited by poolqjunkie; 13 January 2012, 11:30 AM.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Neil actually had to deal with losing his Andy Bream cue some years back. His current cue was his Dad's JP and he's obviously made an effort not to be too dependent on it if something happens.
                    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Some people can play to a half decent standard with any cue. I can compete with most in my club with a different cue that is similar to mine, but would never feel as comfortable as I do with mine. I suspect it is similar with pros. They are a standard or two apart from us meer mortals, so would still be able to play to a far superior level with a different cue. Difference is, I don't think they would feel they could play their very best with a different cue. They'd still play well enough to hammer normal players though.

I also think Hendry's point was more of a "I did all that with an average cue, so that shows it doesn't matter what you use, just learn to play with it, practice with it, and get used to it". I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to learn to play with a Parris, MW, TW etc, but it having an expensive cue won't make you a world champion.
                      If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Working...
                      X