JPU Order - Status changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by mattytheshark View Post
    My cue's status has changed to in progress. What's the wait time now do you reckon??

Just for the record John has given me great service! He phone the other week to give me an update although I sense that he hates emails with a passion!
    6 to 12 weeks depending on the splicework to be done
    Last edited by svendh; 27 June 2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

My cue's status has changed to in progress. What's the wait time now do you reckon??

Just for the record John has given me great service! He phone the other week to give me an update although I sense that he hates emails with a passion!
      How long have you waited so far

Comment

what is the spec of the cue you ordered and how long have you been waiting?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
          How long have you waited so far
          Originally Posted by cueman View Post
          what is the spec of the cue you ordered and how long have you been waiting?
          I have ordered a special (couldn't stretch to an ultimate......said my wife :-) with two veneers and a facing splice. Been waiting for a short time really - 7 weeks or so.

Comment

I have ordered a special (couldn't stretch to an ultimate......said my wife :-)
            Pussywhipped? Dang

Those specials are nice cues anyhow.. Post pictures if you can when you receive it ( and maybe post a review? ).

Good luck!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Inoffthered;788350]Pussywhipped? Dang

Wouldn't have it any other way pal :-)

Comment

• What is the difference between a special and a paragon and a ultimate - apart from a badge the price and the waiting time?

They are all custom made - designed - cues are they not - whats the difference - anyone?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                  What is the difference between a special and a paragon and a ultimate - apart from a badge the price and the waiting time?

They are all custom made - designed - cues are they not - whats the difference - anyone?
                  Well going back to long before Internet orders, Parris used to send out a brochure which had a pic of the cues in his standard range, together with a price list and a custom order form for the Special, Paragon and Ultimate cues.

From what I can recall and we are talking early 90's here, he said that the shafts for Special and Paragon were turned on a lathe down to a cue shape, then planed down by hand to the finished size. The shafts were graded on appearance with Special considered to be the standard range and Paragon were the best looking shafts out of those deemed for this range.

The Ultimate cues are or were completely planed by hand from start to finish. These were the best shafts, even points, straightest of grain and taking 12 months usually because of the time left for the wood to settle and of course time consumed in hand planing each shaft.

Whether this is still the case now or not I don't know but that is pretty much what I remember from the literature I had when I first bought my Parris traditional some 18 years ago.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                    Well going back to long before Internet orders, Parris used to send out a brochure which had a pic of the cues in his standard range, together with a price list and a custom order form for the Special, Paragon and Ultimate cues.

From what I can recall and we are talking early 90's here, he said that the shafts for Special and Paragon were turned on a lathe down to a cue shape, then planed down by hand to the finished size. The shafts were graded on appearance with Special considered to be the standard range and Paragon were the best looking shafts out of those deemed for this range.

The Ultimate cues are or were completely planed by hand from start to finish. These were the best shafts, even points, straightest of grain and taking 12 months usually because of the time left for the wood to settle and of course time consumed in hand planing each shaft.

Whether this is still the case now or not I don't know but that is pretty much what I remember from the literature I had when I first bought my Parris traditional some 18 years ago.

Perhaps someone has pics of this brochure

Comment

• This brand new Traditional is on eBay at the moment - one of the Parris collection range.

I am not a chevron, level splices etc sort of person but at over £500 for one with extensions I would have thought acceptable tolerances would have been tighter than the bottom splice points on this one.
                      Cue.jpg

Comment

• Have to agree with that mate........about as close as England winning the World Cup !
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
                          This brand new Traditional is on eBay at the moment - one of the Parris collection range.

I am not a chevron, level splices etc sort of person but at over £500 for one with extensions I would have thought acceptable tolerances would have been tighter than the bottom splice points on this one.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]16560[/ATTACH]
                          True but then again once a splice is out do you bin the cue or do you sell it in the hope that the buyer is not terribly fussy over a cosmetic issue. I've seen cues from most of the big cue makers with splices out like this and to be honest I think its a bit of a non issue. Its just a bonus if splices are spot on top and bottom but not the end of the world.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                            True but then again once a splice is out do you bin the cue or do you sell it in the hope that the buyer is not terribly fussy over a cosmetic issue. I've seen cues from most of the big cue makers with splices out like this and to be honest I think its a bit of a non issue. Its just a bonus if splices are spot on top and bottom but not the end of the world.
                            Like I said, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest as I am more interested in how the cue plays more than the equal chevron spacing, splice tips etc.

But I have a feeling I would be in the minority there and I could understand if someone wasn't happy when spending over £500 and the simplest thing like splice points were not level. It can't be that difficult for an experienced cue maker to get right. I would have thought there would have been a pride issue as well - to send a cue out looking cosmetically neat and tidy.

Especially when you could spend half on a GBL cue knowing this would be the case.

Comment

• Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
                              Like I said, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest as I am more interested in how the cue plays more than the equal chevron spacing, splice tips etc.

But I have a feeling I would be in the minority there and I could understand if someone wasn't happy when spending over £500 and the simplest thing like splice points were not level. It can't be that difficult for an experienced cue maker to get right. I would have thought there would have been a pride issue as well - to send a cue out looking cosmetically neat and tidy.

Especially when you could spend half on a GBL cue knowing this would be the case.
                              You'll find most of these players who want perfect even chevrons shafts etc are normally those who are very average at the game and struggle to get a decent break and who are normally more interested what the cue looks like then how it plays. Every club has a group of these type players

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                                You'll find most of these players who want perfect even chevrons shafts etc are normally those who are very average at the game and struggle to get a decent break and who are normally more interested what the cue looks like then how it plays. Every club has a group of these type players
                                you seem to be very interested in this thread even though you are not interest in cues

Comment

Working...
                                X