Stephen hendry's cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Trevs,

I have just made some remarks in a different colour.
    Coming from my experience.
    Hope you don't mind.

What I am amazed by is the claim to have a product that does something other cues won't and can't do, when this is just not the case at all.
    =>The performance of the Acuerate cues is quite remarkable. However, they don't say that their cue is the only cue that does what they say. But the whole reason why the Acuerate performs this way is patented. There might be other ways to reach this result, but I have experienced that this one really works, honestly. It is doing something different than any other cue I've tried. And I'm totally honest here
    It's this type of 'slighty' false information that is annoying, as anyone could claim anything to promote their product on the back of a fortunate opportunity like Hendry deciding to use this cue.If a player like Hendry uses a certain brand, then this is no doubt a big advantage. But, the Acuerate cues have been around for a couple of years now, and i have heard very positive coments from lots of players why use them. But Acuerate has made their claims and launched their products long before Hendry decided to use one too.

I can catagorically guarantee anyone, that these cues 'HAVE TO BE MADE'
    to 'CERTAIN TOLERANCES' to be able to behave in the way the 'might'.
    I agree with you. But that's exactly what Acuerate is all about. Their cues are obviously made within certain tolerances but that's probably why they work. There's nothing wrong with that. A diesel engine will consume less, because it's designed to run on diesel in stead of petrol, etc... I don't see anything wrong with that

Any player that may come along, stating exact dimensions in a detailed way for one of these Acuerate cues to be built, could totally destroy their ability to minimise throw. This is because certain criteria has to be followed to enable any cue to behave in a reliable fashion......FACT.
    That's not entirely true. You can choose length, tip size. Even though they offer 2 standard tip sizes, you can still order different tip sizes and they also have a dramatically reduced throw. So they have got a concept their which allows a wide spread variaty of specifications. Obviously, when you produce a 25 oz cue with a 13mm tip, we all know this will throw the cue ball onto the table next to you

If this criteria is not followed due to the specification and instruction of a customers requirements, the cue will 'NOT' be as they claim.....FACT.

as said in the previous reply, this is not entirely true, as there are some different possibilities. Obviously, there are limits to this, but any player that can't live or cope with this, shouldn't buy one. You know that if you order a low deflection cue, that you are buying a certain spec cue.

I've attempted to explain the physical properties of cue behaviour to anyone reading this thread, when many just don't have the understanding of these differences in cues. They may be very very competent players, that I won't argue with. However, I've dealt with numerous top amateurs and professional snooker players, some of them world class in every regard, but, even they still don't know 'WHY' a cue does what it does, they just know what works for them and how to use it. So really, the fact that any player uses this or that cue is no proof that it is 'ANY' better than the next.
    A cue ball will react different on different cloths in different circumstances. But a cue ball will also react differently when struck above or below centre. There's a massive difference in CB throw. The CB throws twice as much when struck below centre. That's one of the laws of physics. You're absolutaly right when you say that most players, even the top pro's have no idea what or why their cue is doing certain things. But maybe that's exactly why this Acuerate concept is often misunderstood. Because people relate it to something magical, simply because they don't fully understand what's going on with their cue or cue ball. It's indeed no proof when certain players use certain cues, that these cues are better then the rest. It just means that they are also good cues. But a cue is indeed a personal choice

I won't be posting on this thread any further, as it might make some believe I've got an agenda of some sort. Either to promote myself, or, to discredit Acuerate, when neither of these things would be true. The information I've offered or comment I've put forward has been for the interest of the viewing reader/player, and not, for any other reason.

I think people should make up their own minds on cues, but having said that, I think they should be armed with enough background knowledge to enable them to make some kind of well informed choice.

You shouldn't stop posting mate, as this is finally becoming a sensible discussion. And people need to be educated, that's for sure. people should indeed make up their own minds on cues. but we should exchange experiences here.

And Wity: I think that we all respect everyone's opinion. But please keep it civilised and polite.
    Because a public forum is not a place to be rude to anyone.

What was winding me up initially is that you were slaughtering them with claiming that they give false information, tell lies,etc... Because they don't, honestly, I have really tried this cue, and it does what they say it does.
    And it's not illegal/unfair trading to have a product which is different than an other product. That's what economy is all about. And everybody tries to be unique. If anyone would try to sue them, then they would only end up with a judge on a snooker table, trying a shot (probably ripping the cloth) and seeing what I saw. That the cue does exactly what they say it does.
    There's nothing wrong with that.

But please, keep this a civilised discussion. There's no need to keep calling bad names to anyone. That's pointless.
    Keep an open mind, as there's a lot out there yet to be discovered.

To everybody, let's keep this a polite and open discussion. That's the only way we can learn from eachother, and the only way we can ventilate our ideas.
    And that's what a forum is all about, innit?

Comment

• Wagga, well posted!!! You talk like a book!

ADR147, which Acuerate 147 size of tip did you order? 8,75 or 9,25??

Comment

• Bloody Hell I've not been on for a couple of days and this thing just keeps running!
        Out of interest where are you from Acuerate you don't sound (read) like your from the UK!

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the “Gravity Cue” here!
        http://www.gravitycue.com

I might try to invent a cue!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Watford
          Bloody Hell I've not been on for a couple of days and this thing just keeps running!
          Out of interest where are you from Acuerate you don't sound (read) like your from the UK!

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the “Gravity Cue” here!
          http://www.gravitycue.com

I might try to invent a cue!
          its just starting in a different thread!
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Why would Gravitycue be mentioned here? It has nothing to do with this topic.

As I see it Acuerate cues concept is about the same as Predators for pool. To have a few inches 4-7" from the tip of the shaft flex alot while the rest of the shaft is much much stiffer. That way the tip will flex alot of the cueball without haveing a "whippy" cue resulting in a lowdeflection cue with good power and feel. (geez..now I sounded like a commercial :-D )

Do you need it to play well. NO. Does what they say work. YES.

I don't see no problem with Acurates claim (beleiving they work somewhere along the lines of a Predator) Predator also generated lots of Love/Hate when they arrived in the poolmarket. Blitzing the market with hype. But look at them now. Lots of professional poolplayers and amateurs uses them (I don't know how many are endorsed though) and they are surely one of the most succesful cuemanufactorers in the world.

Comment

• Well the gravity cue is another gimmick cue isn't it; so therefore related in the context of the discussion rather than the title of the thread!
              Muppet!

Why are you talking about pool cues on a snooker forum in a thread to do with Stephen Hendry's new cue? This is sarcasm by the way you don't need to defend what you posted!

Comment

• Point taken, My Gravity comment was uncalled for. I could edit it out now but that would make your answer seem silly

regards Kermit

Comment

• No problem mate!
                  Sorry if I was a bit techy!

Comment

• Other material than only wood for a cue

I noticed we are talking business now and I'd like to join. Has it ever been tried to use other material than wood, for instance, aluminium or graphite. Note! Golfclubs were made from wood as well initially. Anyone knows? I am surprised this has not been tried yet!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PaulTheSoave
                      I noticed we are talking business now and I'd like to join. Has it ever been tried to use other material than wood, for instance, aluminium or graphite. Note! Golfclubs were made from wood as well initially. Anyone knows? I am surprised this has not been tried yet!
                      It has. My pool break cue is a Cuetec "plastic " one. Very robust but not much "feel" in it - too stiff IMO.

Edit: This is the first time I read this thread so I may be talking about something else than the rest of you.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PaulTheSoave
                        it has been tried many times but all non wooden cues so far have had a lack of feel and life to them that most players feel is vital for them. i have even seen a cue made of glass but the same problem exists.

Comment

• Thank you, Sir! My knowledge of snooker cues is limited. I was not aware it had been tried.

Comment

• graphite is very common and your logic is good in theory they should be perfectly stiff and work well but in reality they don't!

Comment

• I borowed a graphite cue about 7 years ago and played pool with it for a couple of weeks befoe giving it back to it's owner. As he said when he lent it me it's as stiff as hell but barring power shots it tells you nothing. At the time I had no idea what he meant I just concluded for myself it was not for me as I simply felt more comfy with an ash cue.
                              I had a couple of games of pool with another today and understand now what was meant back then. I got no feedback from it, the recoil, the vibration the feel, whatever you call it was the same time after time regardless of the stroke.

Spose if you cut off a quarter of the carbon from the tip ,exposing the maple core shaft and reshaped it's taper to be slim thus giving it more flex you'd have a Aconmate beater maybe even one that'd give Preadtor's shafts a run for their money in the low throw stakes.

Comment

• age old modernist v traditionalist discussion

Just for the sake of my enlightenment can i ask what modern day technologies do reputable cue makers employ. Do they like e.g. use CAS, study the materials from an engineering perspective, cue physics etc.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X