David wu cues on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Guy I fancy another punt on a grand cue but like you it's just a case of waiting for the right specs, it can be a bit frustrating.
    It's a slightly small tip, but the ebony (9.2mm) Grand I've just bought is two or three times the cue that my old Parris Ambassador (the nearest like for like comparator I have) was. Balances at 16.5", 17oz, and 58", it's an absolute gem. I paid £45 delivered. I'd be interested to compare the grands with the new TSF cues.....it's hard to imagine they are two or three times better.

Comment

• Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
      It's a slightly small tip, but the ebony (9.2mm) Grand I've just bought is two or three times the cue that my old Parris Ambassador (the nearest like for like comparator I have) was. Balances at 16.5", 17oz, and 58", it's an absolute gem. I paid £45 delivered. I'd be interested to compare the grands with the new TSF cues.....it's hard to imagine they are two or three times better.
      Was it advertised as a 9.2 mill tip Tetricky, the one I bought had a bit smaller tip than advertised.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Was it advertised as a 9.2 mill tip Tetricky, the one I bought had a bit smaller tip than advertised.
        Advertised as 9.18, but the ferrule is 9.2, and I will be re-tipping anyway. I've found them to be generally ball-park accurate. As much as anyone who advertises is...when weighing, balancing, or measuring, there is always going to be a percentage possible error. I don't think they go out of their way to get things wrong, and I've found their measurements to generally be pretty good. Of course that's not to say that is always the case.

Comment

• Cheers Tetricky, I bought mine as a 9.7 was at best 9.5 at the top of the ferrule, not that I'm complaining I love the cue, just I'm a wee bit wary of actually getting a 9.5 off them and it being down around the 9.3 , but it looks like they are normally pretty accurate, thanks.

Comment

• I've just measured the cue that I bought with the plain ebony cue - the single purpleheart splice, thick maple veneer (classic!), cue. They listed it's specs as: 58"-9.26mm-18.38oz. I measured it at 58" (to the end of the ferrule)-9.2mm-18.2oz. So within reasonable error (mine, theirs, or both of us) I would say that's pretty much fair. I find that the way I measure things tends to come in a bit under other peoples measurements (narrow sling 5mm wide, suspended under a load cell. Balance the cue in it, measure the balance point, tare, and then remove the cue and see how much the load cell goes negative by). Which may be because I'm more accurate, or my calibration is off....or any other number of factors.

Anyway. I think their numbers are generally as accurate as my general experience across the board when buying cues.

One plus of checking this was a first real look at this purpleheart cue. It balances at 17.5" and feels a real beauty. The finish is very rough (literally in a few places). I'lll take the small amount of lacquer off, sand and re-finish. It will be interesting to see how the numbers change when it's done. I don't normally bother mearuing up too closely until I re-finish...because it's not directly relevant!.

...this is the cue, by the way. I ended up paying £70 because I did an off ebay deal when i was buying another cue. That's for the case, and the extensions as well. It wouldn't suit everyone, because of the lack of a decent finish, but for me it's perfect, and it feels like an absolute steal. Here is the plain ebony cue listing (that i bought at the same time) as well, while I'm at it.

Comment

• You just can't go wrong with them can you, as you say the finish isn't great but I just cut mine back, I didn't have to take it all off. I like a larger tip 9.7 -10 mill tip and they dont seem to do many with tips in that range, well not in one piece any way, but I keep my eye on them and hopefully something will turn up.

Comment

You just can't go wrong with them can you, as you say the finish isn't great but I just cut mine back, I didn't have to take it all off. I like a larger tip 9.7 -10 mill tip and they dont seem to do many with tips in that range, well not in one piece any way, but I keep my eye on them and hopefully something will turn up.

Depends how brave you're feeling....I'm going to have a go at putting my own ferrules on at some point......so I'm making sure I buy top end length, so i can afford to lose a half inch if necessary. This is a way of potentially putting on a bigger tip. I appreciate we're well out of the realms of just buying a cue here, but it's certainly something I'm going to do at some point (particularly with my Butters cues, which despite being fantastic in every other way do seem to have a bit of a poor fit at the ferrule - not that I've had any indication of a problem yet beyond the visual when re-tipping).

Comment

• I've just bought this one direct (not via ebay). Ordered on the 1st, shipped on the 2nd, received on the 4th. Hard to complain about the service!

It's advertised as: 58"-9.42mm-17.90oz. I have measured it at: 58 2/16" - 9.32mm (9.42 about 1mm back from the absolute tip - the ferrule is 7.5mm long, so possible scope to take it back a touch) - 18oz. Balances at 16.5". Even primary splices at 18 3/4", very nice front splice and veneer, nicely shaped butt end and flat, with a very well fitted badge (central and flush). Lovely shaft with nice chevrons (I'm not a chevron junkie, but if I was the shaft alone would please me).

Needs a sand and a refinish, and at this stage I don't know what it plays like....but it will look absolutely corking.

I would describe the finish as poor to average. the shaft is rough and feels a little unfinished, the butt is smooth 9 in a lacquer way). It wont take much to cut back, sand and finish....which is ideal, because that was always my intention (might be problematic of you wanted it 'ready to play' though). The fitted tip looks very much not to my taste, and I wont even try it.

Comment

Working...
                  X