No announcement yet.

Acuerate Cue Review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a cue that was tapered a little like this once if i understand correctly. I didnt like it for various reasons. Mainly because it felt strange on my bridge hand.

Comment

The taper of the Acuerate cue is not exacty unique.

Many cues used by many players will have a similar shape to them, purely because over time, players have perhaps sanded their cue, or, had some adjusment to it for some reason or another. Most players however, wouldn't probably take to the shape of these tapers too kindly.

What happens to them is this:

They have quite a thick taper going through the centre part of the cue, i.e. from just above the butt, right down to about 10 -12 inches from the end of the shaft. Then at the last 10 - 12 inches, the shaft reduces in thickness considerably, which gives it an appearance something like the Predator shaft mentioned above.

I won't go into what affect this has on the shaft or why I believe this type of shape can 'IN SOME WAYS' be beneficial to minimising cueball deflection.
      But, what I can say is that it's no new concept and it certainly isn't the sort of shaft 'SHAPE' everyone would be able to put up with.

I'm not surprised the Predator shaft is an improvement over the standard shape of 9 ball cue shaft either, as the 'normal' shape of these shafts, i.e. with a 'pro taper' don't lend themselves at all to being reliable when playing shots with side.

Due to the differences in the nature of 9 ball pool to snooker, the ball size and weight, coupled to the usual shape of the shafts on 9 ball cues, I'm not surprised Predator shafts have been popular.

Unlike Predator, I think Acuerate have tried to market something which goes some way towards improving what in many cases just doesn't need improving.

Comment

Trevor.. Steve Davis on tv described it saying that just before the tip it went thinner still them wider. Considering that very few snooker players go with a tip of less than 9mm and the Aconmate cue originally offered only a 8.75mm tip, then that thinnest point was around 8.5mm. Would you say that shaft therfore would be put under far more stress with power shots and thus have a lower life span?

Comment

Originally Posted by Wity
          Trevor.. Steve Davis on tv described it saying that just before the tip it went thinner still them wider. Considering that very few snooker players go with a tip of less than 9mm and the Aconmate cue originally offered only a 8.75mm tip, then that thinnest point was around 8.5mm. Would you say that shaft therfore would be put under far more stress with power shots and thus have a lower life span?
          it gets thin but not that thin!
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

ok then 8.6 mm

Comment

another cue review. Customcue by Mike Wooldridge

Throughout the past 18 months I have spent time trying to obtain the perfect cue for me. Yes it has been a costly affair but I had also learnt a lot about the process of using the Internet for purchasing cues and also due to the patience of the cue makers themselves a lot to do with the actual manufacturing process itself and I have to say I am now more knowledgeable for this experience and able to pass that on to others and advise where appropriate.

Specifications

1 piece cue
              58.5 inches length
              29.5mm butt diameter
              Medium flex Ash shaft with as few chevrons as possible
              Ebony butt
              4 secondary splice in Thua Burr
              9.5mm tip with a 5mm high ferrule ( shorter than standard)
              19oz weight
              20 inch butt splicing

Total cost £495

The usual requests that all points to be as equal as possible please.

I have remarked in the past in other forums about preferred communication when buying a cue. Mike's is solely by e-mail. Not my prefered method but don’t get me wrong e-mail communication is fine if responded to in a quick efficient manner and I cannot fault Mike in anyway shape or form on this score. Let’s not forget Mike’s work is in great demand so time must be of the essence. To answer every mail of mine ( and there must have been 30+ during the build process) within a 24 hour window is commendable, often within a few hours which is great value as far as I am concerned. Judging by some of the many good forums I have read recently other cue-makers who choose to adopt this method of communication could take note.

My request for the shaft gave Mike some work in itself and I know at least one shaft was worked on and rejected so this is a man who does not sell his customers short and will go to great lengths to supply EXACTLY what they want and not settle for "that should do." Mike sent me a photo of his chosen shaft to gauge my response and I was more than happy with it. It takes some time to find a shaft with only 3 chevrons and still be happy that it is going to have the responsiveness I required from it.

The cue arrived 5 weeks after the original request which is good timing for a cue of such high quality.

Visually the cue was stunning. The shaft was as I stated earlier only 3 arrows across the top of the cue all beautifully straight with a lovely dark finish to it. All 4 points of the ebony butt are even both top and bottom with not even .10mm deviance anywhere. The Thua Burr is both vibrant and beautifully mottled and easily this nicest exotic wood I have seen anywhere ( no I am not on commission!) The butt is finished to a rounded end which sits nicely in the hand and does not feel unfinished as you can sometimes get with cheaper cues or even some of the butt jointed cues. Mikes name badge is set into the actual butt so no nasty rough edges to be found here.

Even having played the game for over 25 years I have learnt a lot over the last few months many things about cues and the people who make our prized possession firstly Mike Wooldridge is a West Ham fan and ultimately there is a world of difference between a good cue and a great cue. This could be conveyed into monetary terms as the difference between a £250 cue and a £500 cue and there is a world of difference.

Some people will scoff at paying £500 for a cue, but think like this Golfers think nothing of spending £400+ on a driver that they deludedly think will give them an extra 20 yards possibly only 6 times a round. You are going to be using this cue every time you take to the table. Is that such bad value for money? If when you set out on the process of buying a cue you limit yourself to a set amount of money, say £200 or you’re after that special offer of the month then just maybe Mike Wooldridge is not the guy for you. If however you are someone who just wants the best cue money can buy and you recognise quality when you see it and are willing to pay for this level of craftsmanship then maybe this is the place to go.

this review was done about 18 months ago and the cue has been sold on since
              Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

interesting to see that acuerate hasnt posted anything on this review page trying to defend it, you would have thought that they would have wanted to defend there cues on here especially after two pro's and a top cuemaker have used it and hated it......
                Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

yes i was expecting wagga wagga and acuerate to come back with some sort of defence?

Comment

I think Acuerate didn't have the time to read the forum this weekend. He'll probably do next week...
                    Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

busy reworking future business plans?

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147
                        busy reworking future business plans?
                        Uh?

He has a life and a job, like everybody else here
                        Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Bet he sells double glazing.

Comment

lol - very good

Comment

No, I dont have to say a lot on your topic and the Acuerate, thats all!!

Some do like the cue, some not a all!
                              Thats how life works!
                              I do have one myself, so I know it and I like it!
                              But, if I had to choose it with tests from players like Ryan Day (which i know since he was young, in Prestatyn, I said young not small, lol) and D.Dale and Stephen HENDRY, my choice will be easy and fast, with all the respect I have from the 2 other players!!

After that, this is life and personal opinion!

Comment

Originally Posted by Acuerate
                                No, I dont have to say a lot on your topic and the Acuerate, thats all!!

Some do like the cue, some not a all!
                                Thats how life works!
                                I do have one myself, so I know it and I like it!
                                But, if I had to choose it with tests from players like Ryan Day (which i know since he was young, in Prestatyn, I said young not small, lol) and D.Dale and Stephen HENDRY, my choice will be easy and fast, with all the respect I have from the 2 other players!!

After that, this is life and personal opinion!

Hi acuerate

could you explain to me how your cue is different and what makes it more precise?

thanks
                                Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X