Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review MAC CUE Laminated Shaft ( maple )...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
    That's great news. If LM shafts can increase spin, then I can see why they've taken off in the US.
    the reason why laminated shafts are quite prominent in the US is due to lowering deflection. Deflection there is a bigger issue due to the ball weights, in snooker it is not so much.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
      the reason why laminated shafts are quite prominent in the US is due to lowering deflection. Deflection there is a bigger issue due to the ball weights, in snooker it is not so much.
      that would be logical at least.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I really like the look of the laminated shafts, I have no idea if they are better or worse but to my eye they make a cracking looking cue, very nice Ramon.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
          Yeah, bigger balls, bigger tips, etc.

A lot of people have coughed up £75 for Black Spin because they think deflection is an issue, as well as gaining increased spin. Now imagine if a wood type could cut deflection and increase spin. A lot of folk who like stiff shafts such as maple may well move over to it. Ok, it's not going to end up replacing solid wood entirely but I can see a day when cheap cues are solid wood and expensive cues are LM. This happened in Hockey stick manufacture, table tennis bats, etc.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            I really like the look of the laminated shafts, I have no idea if they are better or worse but to my eye they make a cracking looking cue, very nice Ramon.
            It might be time to find a Peradon retailer with a test table.....never thought I'd ever say that.
            Last edited by Master Blaster; 5 March 2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              thanks my friend!! Richy is a top cue maker and great guy to deal with. IMO. Personally, I would say, the best cue is the cue that suits ur game. (ash or maple or....).But if you ever get the chance, try a couple of shots with these shafts !! Maybe you like it. as long as u can enjoy ur game !!

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                It might be time to find a Peradon retailer with a test table.....never thought I'd ever say that.
                My pal dabbled in selling Peradons on ebay, Scannersgolf he is called, and he had one of the Laminated ones, he couldn't shift it and sold it for around £260( that's a rough guess I can't quite recall) but I'm sure he said it was around what he paid for it, but he obviously got a deal as he bought a load of different Peradons . I think they go for around £325 . I didn't get to see it but asked him if he played a few shots with it but he didn't, I don't think I could have resisted.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                  thanks my friend!! Richy is a top cue maker and great guy to deal with. IMO. Personally, I would say, the best cue is the cue that suits ur game. (ash or maple or....).But if you ever get the chance, try a couple of shots with these shafts !! Maybe you like it. as long as u can enjoy ur game !!
                  Yes ,I have never heard a bad review of his cues Ramon, As you say as long as it suits you, but it's nice to have a looker that suits aswell

Comment

Any snooker pro who uses laminated shaft?

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                      Reduction in top spin Or screw , has not much t do with stiffnes of the wood But with DENSITY of the wood !!! what most important is in developing spin is density of the wood .... NOT stiffnes !! There are Sum players who belive the stiffnes and density are the same !! I do'nt !!! a dense stiff shaft (stiff shaft with high percent of density) is the perfect combination to play snooker. that's why I've chosen for Laminated shaft , cus they re Denser !!!! a solid hit + to be able to developing more spin with less effort + less deflection (especially when u playing with side). But this is just my opinion !!! As ADR mantioned , LM shaft like other shafts ( ash Or Maple ) are different !! And i do agree with him !! So in this case maybe i was just luky ? Who knows !!! At the end of the day the main question is whether the cue suits your game or not !!! and remains a matter of personal preference !!
                      Well, that's not my experience.
                      The density of various woods used in cue making differs little. Within a certain type of wood it's choosing those pieces with the right amount of flex/spring that makes a good shaft. stiff + dense = a dead shaft, assuming you would use a denser material for the main wood of the shaft. Laminated shafts are not denser, and the way they are made cuemakers can design the right amount of flex into them. The taper of a cue also has a big impact on how it feels and generates spin. I have quite a collection of cues and the cue that has the best feel and generates spin with the least effort is my old Wooldridge cue which has a slim taper and a medium stiff shaft.
                      Last edited by strobbekoen; 6 March 2015, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by strobbekoen View Post
                        Well, that's not my experience.
                        The density of various woods used in cue making differs little. Within a certain type of wood it's choosing those pieces with the right amount of flex/spring that makes a good shaft. stiff + dense = a dead shaft, assuming you would use a denser material for the main wood of the shaft. Laminated shafts are not denser, and the way they are made cuemakers can design the right amount of flex into them. The taper of a cue also has a big impact on how it feels and generates spin. I have quite a collection of cues and the cue that has the best feel and generates spin with the least effort is my old Wooldridge cue which has a slim taper and a medium stiff shaft.
                        In general, I've found maple to be stiffer and offer less spin than ash. Hendry wasn't famed for his cue power and used maple. Then again, Steven Lee generated a lot of spin with maple but I thing that was down to his special cue action. Judd uses a whippy Parris and generates as more spin than anyone.

Comment

Maple is slightly stiffer but not by a lot, so how the cue plays is more about the specific piece of wood and how it's made, tapered etc. To have good cue ball control, too stiff is bad in my opinion.

Comment

Originally Posted by strobbekoen View Post
                            Maple is slightly stiffer but not by a lot, so how the cue plays is more about the specific piece of wood and how it's made, tapered etc. To have good cue ball control, too stiff is bad in my opinion.
                            I agree to an extent, maple is variable. I've got a whippier JD 147 maple that plays nice. But I've had another maple that was like a brick, I sold that one! But the most powerful have always used ash, Jimmy, Judd, Robbo. Stephen Lee stands out and I guess that JP made him a lovely Ultimate in maple.

Comment

I've just made another one of these for former pro John Rea.
                              He loves it. Stephen Maguire has also tried it out and loved it and is very tempted in getting one. Watch this space.
                              "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
                                I've just made another one of these for former pro John Rea.
                                He loves it. Stephen Maguire has also tried it out and loved it and is very tempted in getting one. Watch this space.
                                Stop tempting Stephen his dad Pat will be most upset.

Comment

Working...
                                X