What Happened to White Ash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened to White Ash?

Put that into Google and you’ll get a 20 quid BCE cue. Some remember a time when bespoke cue makers made cues with white ash. They weren’t massively popular, just a couple in the Powerglide range of the 80s I believe.

They were made as an alternative to ash and maple as a go between shaft wood. Having less less prominent and wider spaced grain than black ash and also less prominent chevrons (growth rings), they could be fine sanded and finished without filler (the way J6 finishes his cues). I haven’t played with one in ages but I vaguely remember that the feel across the bridge was smooth but not as smooth as maple and the wood felt like it had a lighter hit than ash. This would make sense for a lower density timber. Maybe Trev can elucidate, or anyone else who has one/used one.

I haven't seen one in eons. If anyone has any pics, that would be brill.

Dog turds too. When I was but a lad, some dog turds were white. Where did they all go ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
      Dog turds too. When I was but a lad, some dog turds were white. Where did they all go ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dunno, didn't you mom warn you not to pick them up?

Comment

i got some real nice white stuff, an i will be shaing it with everyone as soon as iv cut it up

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post

Tunisia, that's was the last place I saw one. It was such a rare sight I had to take a picture of it to show my brother.
          I will find the picture for you if you want?.........
          Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

What Happened to White Ash?

whatever next?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              i got some real nice white stuff, an i will be shaing it with everyone as soon as iv cut it up
              It's all cut to bits these days anyhow and utter shi*e now.

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
                Tunisia, that's was the last place I saw one. It was such a rare sight I had to take a picture of it to show my brother.
                I will find the picture for you if you want?.........
                Go for it. A rare thing indeed. .

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                  Brill. Lookin fwd to seein that and hearing how it plays. I forgot all about it for a decade. lol

Comment

Hi Guys
                    I have also wondered this, i have a Power Glide Conny in what i believe to be white ash. 57", 9.25, 18, 30mm that i used for awhile while i was waiting for my MW ash Black legend 57, 9.25, 18 and 29mm. The conny has now gone to Mike W to have an MOT, blackspin ferrule, butt F1 joint fitted, all lac removed and ultrashine finish all over. Yea i know thats a ton of work but tbh i really liked the cue design and overall feel. I just felt the above mods would improve it. I should be getting it back from Mike soon and i will do a comparitive review between it and my similar spec BL cue.

Mike did send me some interesting pics from part way through the work which i will try and upload. Basically the points (of the splicing) were WAY out, very uneven, to cover this up black evenly spliced points were painted over the top and then the whole lot covered with lac!

Have a good day
                    Tom

Comment

Originally Posted by brookst View Post
                      Hi Guys
                      I have also wondered this, i have a Power Glide Conny in what i believe to be white ash. 57", 9.25, 18, 30mm that i used for awhile while i was waiting for my MW ash Black legend 57, 9.25, 18 and 29mm. The conny has now gone to Mike W to have an MOT, blackspin ferrule, butt F1 joint fitted, all lac removed and ultrashine finish all over. Yea i know thats a ton of work but tbh i really liked the cue design and overall feel. I just felt the above mods would improve it. I should be getting it back from Mike soon and i will do a comparitive review between it and my similar spec BL cue.

Mike did send me some interesting pics from part way through the work which i will try and upload. Basically the points (of the splicing) were WAY out, very uneven, to cover this up black evenly spliced points were painted over the top and then the whole lot covered with lac!

Have a good day
                      Tom
                      Interesting. It's gonna feel a lot different with those mods I guess. If you'd played with it with brass and no butt joint I could compare to the same on one of my cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by brookst View Post
                        Hi Guys

Have a good day
                        Tom
                        yep and some people believe they went to great lengths to source the very best ash when they could not even put decent splices on

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                          yep and some people believe they went to great lengths to source the very best ash when they could not even put decent splices on
                          Splices are irrelevant, a cue is better without them as we know. Splices are decoration and protection and a tinsy bit of extra weight, they add nothing to potting. It's all about the shaft wood and cue feel.
                          Last edited by Master Blaster; 8 June 2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                            Splices are irrelevant, a cue is better without them as we know. Splices are decoration and protection and a tinsy bit of extra weight, they add nothing to potting. It's all about the shaft wood and cue feel.
                            Not ALL about the shaft wood and feel, the tip is quite important!
                            Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
                              Not ALL about the shaft wood and feel, the tip is quite important!
                              Sorry, yes, good point! My forgetfulness. Single layer tip every time on the best shaft yes? Elks are standard on Ultimates, says it all for me. But BDP is the one, so consistent.

What about ferrules as well, what do you think about the different options. Brass on JPUs, is that the top dog?

Comment

Working...
                              X