What Happened to White Ash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
    Sorry, yes, good point! My forgetfulness. Single layer tip every time on the best shaft yes? Elks are standard on Ultimates, says it all for me. But BDP is the one, so consistent.

What about ferrules as well, what do you think about the different options. Brass on JPUs, is that the top dog?

Completely agree, all true and irrefutable.

Comment

MB, i played a good number of frames over a couple of months with the cue in its std state (brass/no joint/good Elk tip) and loved the responsiveness and general payability of the cue, it was a very pleasant suprise actually. I agree the splicing is essentially asthetic however its a little concerning in terms of an indicator of the general quality of the workmanship and quality control that went into the cue when it was made. In this case however as i mentioned above the cue plays great and the irregular splicing doesnt really bother me as its how the cue plays thats most important too me ( my other two cues are classic plain ebony).

Regarding tips i too used to be and still am a big fan of Elks/BDPs but i have to say at this time the Blackspin ferrule and MW black laminated tip combination work really well for me and are very consistent so im happy to keep using them for the moment.

Thanks
      Tom

Comment

Sorry, yes, good point! My forgetfulness. Single layer tip every time on the best shaft yes? Elks are standard on Ultimates, says it all for me. But BDP is the one, so consistent.

What about ferrules as well, what do you think about the different options. Brass on JPUs, is that the top dog?
        Not for me, imo, my wooldridge cue with blackspin feels much better than my JP with brass ever did (I'm no pro mind!).
        Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Brook St and Danam, as you know, I'd disagree with those choices for me but if they make it work for you, respect to you for going down that route. Gotta say, I think you're brave and maybe fortune favours you. Personally, I'd be mortified to put blackspin on my cues and return to Kamui Black M. Softer tips = more power for me, more grip on the cue ball. I couldn't give that up and go back to black. But fair play to those who do.
          Last edited by Master Blaster; 9 June 2015, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Got a couple of laminate shafts on a dufferin and cannot for the life of me find a decent tip to match the shafts,must have put a dozen old rack tips on and no luck (dont use new tips)might have to dig deep, never bought a tip

Comment

MB, if you havnt tried a recent MW cue in your preferred specs i would recommend it.

You may or may not know from my previous posts i played with a JPU for around 15 years prior to my recent MW purchases and only had to find a new cue as my JP was damaged beyond repair. I was very happy with the JP and could not fault it and never considered buying a different cue as it was perfect for me, until i had too... an i was devastated after using the same cue for so long. I was about to order a new JPU until i was recommended MW and im very happy i went to him for my replacement cue. I have alot of respect for JP for obvious reasons but i am as happy with my MW cue as i was with my old JP and im the first one to admit i never thought id be saying that but there it is.

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                Got a couple of laminate shafts on a dufferin and cannot for the life of me find a decent tip to match the shafts,must have put a dozen old rack tips on and no luck (dont use new tips)might have to dig deep, never bought a tip
                Crikey and they say Yorkshire is tight. Get a Buffalo Diamond Plus mate. You won't look back, I promise you. I have returned to it having tried every single layer and laminated tip imaginable and overall, it's the best tip there is. No duff ones in the box, each one a good one. It's the tip elks should be and they say that this tip is very much like the blue diamonds of old, as used by the stars of the 80s and 90s. They stay firm and need less maintenance than an elk. Finding a good elk is a mare, no time to waste on that.

http://www.billiardsboutique.com/pro...-plus-cue-tips

Comment

Originally Posted by brookst View Post
                  MB, if you havnt tried a recent MW cue in your preferred specs i would recommend it.

You may or may not know from my previous posts i played with a JPU for around 15 years prior to my recent MW purchases and only had to find a new cue as my JP was damaged beyond repair. I was very happy with the JP and could not fault it and never considered buying a different cue as it was perfect for me, until i had too... an i was devastated after using the same cue for so long. I was about to order a new JPU until i was recommended MW and im very happy i went to him for my replacement cue. I have alot of respect for JP for obvious reasons but i am as happy with my MW cue as i was with my old JP and im the first one to admit i never thought id be saying that but there it is.
                  Fair play to you mate, glad you found the one to replace the one! Great cues, well made and they play well from the few I've seen and handled (not owned). Hmmm, dunno, someone told me summat I wasn't chuffed about. Not for now, another time.

Comment

Crikey and they say Yorkshire is tight. Get a Buffalo Diamond Plus mate. You won't look back, I promise you. I have returned to it having tried every single layer and laminated tip imaginable and overall, it's the best tip there is. No duff ones in the box, each one a good one. It's the tip elks should be and they say that this tip is very much like the blue diamonds of old, as used by the stars of the 80s and 90s. They stay firm and need less maintenance than an elk. Finding a good elk is a mare, no time to waste on that.

http://www.billiardsboutique.com/pro...-plus-cue-tips
                    Not tight just dont like new tips,back in the day as soon as a tip bedded in off she'd come and go in the tin.worked in a billiard hall so if i spotted a good un on a rack cue its another in the pot,oh shucks, and when you miscued with the crystalites half your tip vanished.down at martins last month asked him if he had any old tips,felt like steptoe

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
                      Not ALL about the shaft wood and feel, the tip is quite important!
                      Agreed....Most important of all!
                      VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                      Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                      Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                      Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                        Not tight just dont like new tips,back in the day as soon as a tip bedded in off she'd come and go in the tin.worked in a billiard hall so if i spotted a good un on a rack cue its another in the pot,oh shucks, and when you miscued with the crystalites half your tip vanished.down at martins last month asked him if he had any old tips,felt like steptoe
                        Haha, all good that golf. Well, the pro tippers used to search for pub bat tips played in and compressed (allegedly) so why not you?

Too Dark, I agree with you. You can change the tip, you can't change the shaft though. Best to get that right first time. That's why it's really important the feel is there. More feel can be added with an elk, BDP or MW but if the shaft is a clunk, the best tip in the world can only improve it a bit.
                        Last edited by Master Blaster; 11 June 2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X