No announcement yet.

Elk master even less consistent???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks lads for all the alternatives!! I'm goin to first try the grand tip fredkite has kindly offered to send me. Failing that I'm going to try the buffalo BD and Mike Wooldridge velvet tips. As I try them out i'll post my experiences on this thread as it may help other players who like elks but are fed up with their consistency.

Just ordered the new MW tips, both super and velvet
    Last edited by sfmcar; 30 November 2015, 10:24 PM.

Comment

I think changing tip makes frequently is a road to disaster.
      After trying so many tips, how can you possibly truly and objectively remember the feel of any of them in particular?

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
        I like these as well , got a couple left . They seem to last a long time as well .
        Me as well! Superb tips

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
          After trying so many tips, how can you possibly truly and objectively remember the feel of any of them in particular?

It's cheaper than buying a new cue, but the result is similar. I'm sure that there may be better tips than what I use....but the diamond+'s, through a tip press, are similar to the blue diamonds I always used. Plenty of pro's have used them, and been better than me. I just prefer a consistent experience (cue and tip) and get used to playing with them. It's not the equipment, it's me!

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
            I've always used elks but because of the quality of them now it would do your head in constantly putting on tips to find they are spongy etc. Its not rocket science to remember each one in particular, as elks would be my prefered choice I only have to compare any new tip I try to them.

Comment

ive found that if i take a soft elk and press it it plays really well, i agree that they are inconsistant, theyre ok if youre buying a whole box to sort through to find the ones you like but if youre buying singles its a mine field.

Comment

How do people 'sort them'. I've got a box of 50 and I've got no idea how they're gonna play until I put them on.
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                  How do people 'sort them'. I've got a box of 50 and I've got no idea how they're gonna play until I put them on.
                  it you squeeze between your thumb nail and middle finger the side wall if they are duff they collapse.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                    it you squeeze between your thumb nail and middle finger the side wall if they are duff they collapse.
                    OK cheers. I'll do the test when I next fit one!

Comment

OK cheers. I'll do the test when I next fit one!
                      if you do about 10 or 15 you will see what i mean.

Comment

if you do about 10 or 15 you will see what i mean.
                        I'm just trying a few now. I'm getting a slight finger nail mark in the side of them, but none are collapsing. I'm putting as much pressure as I can on them.

Comment

I'm just trying a few now. I'm getting a slight finger nail mark in the side of them, but none are collapsing. I'm putting as much pressure as I can on them.
                          ok the ones that you leave no mark on will be hard and good to use.

Comment

ok the ones that you leave no mark on will be hard and good to use.
                            They're all rubbish then! That explains why I can't pot a ball.

Comment

JP explains in this vid how to find good ones . But Most players do the same as ADR mantioned already .
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NnIEnmnBAYc

Comment

I bought a box a few months back and although I haven't personally used one I have fitted around a dozen for a mate of mine who runs a pool team and they like the tips I fit. I have noticed a dip but its not as bad as what tedisbill is suffering. Then again I've had to discard a few after trimming and shaping because I could tell that they were pulling apart and not compressed properly.

I also do the nail in the side trick but even I have been caught out a few times thinking the tip was good but on trimming and shaping the tip just fell apart. Its not an exact science but its as good a test as you can do.

Comment

Working...
                                X