No announcement yet.

Elk master even less consistent???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder how many of you have bought bogus elks. I bought a genuine box of fifty a while ago now and they've all been pretty good so far.
    I go through about three tips a year, have fitted some for friends, so this box must be about ten years old now, just a few left, but they're all good.
    I don't use a vice but give them about twenty taps with a standard claw hammer before fitting, seems to work OK.

Comment

My previous box was about 12 years old and there is a definite change in the quality. I know the box I have is genuine because I ordered them from Green Baize. Whether the batches are just hit and miss or whether this is the standard quality today I'm not sure. However, if they are the norm, I shall not use elks again though I don't expect to need another box for at least a couple of years.

Comment

I bought mine from ADR a few months ago.
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
          I bought mine from ADR a few months ago.
          then they are genuine, that is not to say they will be perfect!
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

They're all rubbish then! That explains why I can't pot a ball.
            Hi Ted, I might be able to help you out I'll send you a pm mate.
            Last edited by markz; 7 December 2015, 12:13 AM.

Comment

here are a couple of off-shore tips that might interest you if you are not keen in the softness of elks
              1) Mastercue Tips (the blue type, not that black spin variety).
              I don't know how much they cost over in Europe but they cost about 4 pounds more than a box of regular elks.

2) Titan Jupiter
              I had used 3 and there is a bedding in process but after that they are rock hard... well I like them hard.
              Search ebay around, but they aren't cheap.

3) Triange tips (hardest of them all)
              The grip is a little inferior but it is the hardest of the lot. I have no idea how much they cost. Apologies.

Here are the tips I tried.
              Kamui
              Moori
              Triangle
              Mastercue (Blue is good, Blackspins (not recommended) )
              Elkmasters (various sizes)
              Elks (ROS version... haha! But no)
              Hercules (delaminate sometimes)
              Talisman (delaminates more often than Hercules)
              Brunswick aka Blue Diamonds (I still prefer elks)
              ProGranites (not as consistent as I would like for its price)
              Omin Red (rock hard but grip quality varies)
              ADR147 (brown and black versions)
              Mike Wooldridge original blue tips (decent)
              Zans (my favourite but boy are they really costly)

I like to apologize for wasting tips at such a rapid manner in the past but I mended my ways

Comment

So after trying all them out .................what one do you now use ?
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                  So after trying all them out .................what one do you now use ?
                  if you were referring to myself then it would be the Titan purely because is the last tip I was "testing" and I intent to let it wear off completely.
                  It is a fairly good block tip but honestly any block tip after bedding in will do just as good.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                    My previous box was about 12 years old and there is a definite change in the quality. I know the box I have is genuine because I ordered them from Green Baize. Whether the batches are just hit and miss or whether this is the standard quality today I'm not sure. However, if they are the norm, I shall not use elks again though I don't expect to need another box for at least a couple of years.
                    I agree, there must be bad batches of genuine tips around. I bought a box from John Parrotts website, i would hope they are genuine but they were all brutal.
                    I finally got a good elk from a club owner last week and he has also noticed the quality of elks has dropped. The tip he gave me was from an old batch and he would only sell me 2!!!
                    I also recieved 2 MW super tips and two MW velvet tips this week and I have to say I think the velvet tips feel like a nice tip. Probably wont be putting it on for a while though but I will eventually post review
                    Last edited by sfmcar; 10 December 2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Theyve changed them, new ones are ****e, taller and darker in colour than older elks and now come with a piece of foam rather than card separating the top and bottom layers of tips. Dont know why they changed them but they definately arent as good as they used to be.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        ok the ones that you leave no mark on will be hard and good to use.
                        Well, I found a couple of harder tips using this method. I put one on Friday night as my other tip wasn't playing well at all. I must say, it's miles better now. Actually got some nice touch in the balls again. Thanks ADR!
                        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Well, I found a couple of harder tips using this method. I put one on Friday night as my other tip wasn't playing well at all. I must say, it's miles better now. Actually got some nice touch in the balls again. Thanks ADR!
                          no problem fella
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                          X