My workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    Forum members in the UK, Jays Yorkshire Workshop BBC2 wednesday night at 9.pm, one of the teams will be making a cue and case, should be interesting.
    Well that was something and nothing wasn't it. Spent hardly any time showing what was done, and what was shown was probably how not to do it. Who's decision was it to fit a ferrule with a screw on tip ? I'm baffled really, the producers should have contacted someone in the know and tackled the job with a bit of foresight.
    John Parris has nothing to worry about but the general public might believe that all cues are made this way and wonder why a handmade item is two to three hundred pounds plus.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Yeah ,terrible piece of crap ,would have been better to stick a chain between the two pieces and used them as nun chucks

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikee View Post
        Yeah ,terrible piece of crap ,would have been better to stick a chain between the two pieces and used them as nun chucks
        And that case! could have buried a five year old child in it
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Just finished a refurbishment on an SW Hancock John Pulman Mastercue. A very old or a rather neglected one piece machine spliced maple, 58 inches long, 10mm brass ferrule and weighing in at 16.65 oz's. The rather heavy varnish on the butt hid some flaws in the maple just above the splices and the join of the butt wasn't exact in one place, and it was bent which I had to rectify. Other than that it's in pretty good nick if it's old but in poor shape for something newer, which I doubt being a signature John Pulman. Any info on this company or type of cue would be welcome, pics below, sorry no before pics

http://

Comment

• all I can find is SW Hancock sponsored some local (Bucks) competitions back in the early 80s and I assume they had this cue made. I have not seen any other than this Pulman cue.
            But this look is often seen with other retailer and player names.

Seen very similar looking EA Clare, Halex, and Riley Burwat.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• William Lindop of Manchester manufactured this type of signature cue and did various designs with Fred Davis, Rex Williams etc on the plates. Maybe SW Hancock commissioned them to make this model to commemorate one of the comps they did possibly.

Couple of similar models on eBay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...4&toolid=10001
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Thanks guy's, never heard of SW Hancock as a cue maker so it seems it might just be a badge on a generic machine spliced racker, doubt it's a one off though. Cue was in a bad state with the varnished chipped and worn, shaft was bare and you can see the aged patina of the shaft maple compared to the maple covered by the varnish on the butt. I tried to take the shaft back to the same colour using the scraper plane but it would have meant planing off too much wood so I coloured the lighter maple with teak oil to bring it closer and then finished it all off with several coats of linseed and topped it off with a few coats of clear wax.

Customer says it was his dad's cue and was passed down to him, customer himself is over sixty so it might be older than 1980's, then again Powerglide's were badged as Rex Williams then so who knows.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                  Also re-tapered, finished and straightened an ash 3/4 that wasn't quite straight at the joint

60.25 inch ash 3/4 with amargo amargo butt with a palmira splice on wenge and maple veneers, 20 oz's, 29mm diameter butt, 9.8mm aluminium ferrule, 20 inch balance point with a 6 inch ekki mini butt

https://ibb.co/album/0s6Hm4

Just been having a look through your work Steve. Incredible stuff especially as it’s more a side thing and not your main work! Although looking at the quality you make it could quite easily be. The design of the above cue really caught my attention the veneer work at the butt is beautiful!

Keep up the good work and I’ll be purchasing one for my son soon enough 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Comment

• Dimension wise It's modelled on my own playing cue. I like to cater for the taller player, being one myself, as I know the pitfalls of using a cue that's too short. Glad you like it

Comment

• So we’ve had some time to use some friends cues and try out different lengths, tip size etc and we are looking for 58”, 9.5mm, 18.5-19oz. Design wise ebony is lovely but we’re not overly fussed on design (all the cues I’ve seen of yours look lovely anyway Steve.

So do you have anything that would fit the bill Steve? 3/4 ideally but would consider a one piece also.

Comment

• Just this one that fits those specs, it's a one piece and currently on ebay.

Comment

• Wow - incredible looking cue

Comment

• Thought that forum members would be interested in some pictures of my Cuesmith mid size lathe.

Comment

• Looks big for mid size vmax, how longs the bed?
                              thats stationed ready to do taper, joint, and ferrule work?

Comment

• Wowzers! That looks like a nice bit of kit! I guess things have moved on from a block/jig and a hand plane?

Comment

Working...
                                X