My workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey. Sorry to see that mate.

Looking at the picture, the river isn't finished yet with the weather warnings. hope that's the last problem you get.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      Sorry to see that Vmax, are your lathes and whatever you have electrical OK?
      Yes, hand tools kept in the lower drawers of the tool chest are covered in mud, but main power tools are OK due to being above the waterline. Big clean up tomorrow when the flood alert drops.

Comment

Jeez that's lucky, hand tools should be ok with a thorough clean, but still a lot of work ,not to mention expence to recover, do you get flooded often?
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Re the bike that's a bummer, need to take airbox apart maybe to dry it out including filter, also exhaust may be full of water if upswept, loads of wd40 might be a start on electrics. When I drowned a bike in a river doing trials we would just flip bike upside down and let it drain out used to work after taking spark plug and airfilter out.
          Will be a bit heavy tho your X4 to do that. Good luck tho

Comment

Jeez that's lucky, hand tools should be ok with a thorough clean, but still a lot of work ,not to mention expence to recover, do you get flooded often?
            I've only been living here for eighteen months, first time since 2012 according to my neighbours, then it was worse, five feet high, so I'm looking into flood defence barriers for the garage/workshop entrance (living accomodation above) which are rather expensive, about £2000, but will stop it happening again.
            After the horse has bolted yes, and I knew I'd be down by the river, but it had the garage/workshop I wanted at a rent I could afford. Now I know I need to defend it better than the scaffold plank and four bags of building sand the previous occupant left behind

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              Exactly, I live in a converted watermill with the river Yeo one side of me and the mill leet on the other, no insurance even offered let alone being too expensive. Hundreds of pounds lost, and another flood alert for tonight so the mud can stay for now, but hey Think Floyd were great, the guitarist absolutely nailed the solos in Time and Comfortably Numb
              Always live at to of a hill,lol.

Comment

Well after the flood last november I've replaced the hardwood veneers and exotic woods that floated away and have managed to finish a couple of cues from shafts stored in my flat above the garage/workshop.

both are one piece with beech shafts and two long Iroko - two regular wenge and two small amargo amargo splices with wenge veneers and six inch ipe tabaca mini butts.

one is 57 1/4 inches long (57 1/2 with tip) - 17.3 oz's - 30mm butt diameter - 9mm brass ferrule - 17 inch BP
                one is 58 1/2 inches (58 3/4 with tip) long - 18 oz's - 30mm butt diameter - 9.4mm brass ferrule - 18 inch BP

The beech finishes a lot like maple with a similar side grain but is stiffer, even the 9mm one doesn't flex much.
                Attached Files

Comment

the mini butts

IMG_0149.JPG

Comment

How does beech play then Steve ?

Comment

Don't know yet, maybe tonight.

Comment

more cue makers than the post office on double giro day in Glasgow

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                          more cue makers than the post office on double giro day in Glasgow
                          I like that one byron even though am from Glasgow
                          Current playing cue Trevor White
                          3/4 ash cue

Comment

Is it naturally heavier than ash and maple?
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Is it naturally heavier than ash and maple?
                              Don't think so, shafts were about 14 oz's before splicing and weighting, same as ash/maple. The wood does seem to be naturally stiffer though, don't know if that's inherent with beech or just the board I used. I have one more shaft and think that will be a 9 ball cue, might 3/4 split it might not.
                              Next cue is ash with a full amargo amargo butt, second pair of splices going on today.

IMG_0154 (2).JPG

Comment

Finished it.

IMG_0165.JPGIMG_0166.JPGIMG_0168.JPGIMG_0169.JPG

60 inch long one piece with amargo amargo butt with maple and bog oak veneers with a palmira splice
                                10mm tip with aluminium ferrule 29.5mm diameter butt balanced at 21 inches 18 oz's finished in clear danish oil on the shaft and boiled linseed on the butt.

I had a bash with it at the weekend and to be honest I like it a lot. Although it's an inch and a half shorter than my playing cue I got used to it in ten minutes and made a two miss line up practise twice, which is damn good for me. Nice responsive shaft and those cheap chinese tips are awfully good, didn't need playing in at all.

Forgive the pictures but I have terrible trouble uploading pics on this site, always have to resize them or they won't upload so I have to halve the pixels and lose clarity, believe me it looks a lot better in the flesh.
                                If anyone can tell me how to upload decent pictures I would be grateful.

Oh and beech plays very well indeed as well, like maple but stronger.
                                Last edited by vmax4steve; 10 May 2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X