ADR147 vs Maximus Ultimate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
    INE: one of the best players in our league uses a Conny Woods cue, 3 star. Faultless for £120 and he's the one hitting the numbers, not the JPS owner. lol
    One of our players who plays county snooker plays with a centre split cue with painted on splices all the paint has come off where he's held it over the years, and its chipped and flaked off in other parts, no badge ,no name anywhere on it but you miss and he will knock in a frame winner behind you. He's still the only non pro I have seen have a fifty odd stuck against him , knock in a long red and clear up.
    Dom, I get most of my cues from the lower end of the market around £100 mark, I have had a few as I didn't know what I was looking for, and I wouldn't advise getting one custom made, look for one ready made that's in your spec range and buy that, normally it's cheaper that way there's no waiting time and you know you will get what you want. The tip being a couple of tenths of a mill out is not uncommon even for established cue makers from my experience, but the weight is a strange one, that's way out.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by dom979 View Post
      The residue the cue left on my bridge hand meant the cue kept sticking. So i couldn't really judge how the cue played too well, but I think i'm going to try and seal that shaft and give the cue another go, just to see how it plays.
      That's strange Dom ours came very lightly oiled and there was very little grain filler on the cue, the arrows are very light. I wonder if the same company have different people making them now, I got ours about four years ago, it was the first cue I ever owned.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        That's strange Dom ours came very lightly oiled and there was very little grain filler on the cue, the arrows are very light. I wonder if the same company have different people making them now, I got ours about four years ago, it was the first cue I ever owned.
        I owned a Rileys Ronnie O'Sullivan badged cue, which I got when I was about 10-11 and played with that till I quit the sport at about 14. My dad still actually uses that cue to play pool with, it has very nice arrows that run down both sides of the shaft, but it also had a painted on butt. Then when I picked up the sport again a year ago I bought the WL Sport cue then. When I had a look at them on eBay earlier they seem to have gone to designs with even more splices now than when I got mine but the designs still look very similar. When I was using the cue the grain filler would rise out of the grain and make the cue very rough so I would use some 2000 grit sand paper to sand it down to smooth again, I just assume I got a poor batch when it comes to grain filler as I have never seen anything like it before.

Comment

Dom, I get most of my cues from the lower end of the market around £100 mark, I have had a few as I didn't know what I was looking for, and I wouldn't advise getting one custom made, look for one ready made that's in your spec range and buy that, normally it's cheaper that way there's no waiting time and you know you will get what you want. The tip being a couple of tenths of a mill out is not uncommon even for established cue makers from my experience, but the weight is a strange one, that's way out.
          I've learnt that lesson now, I got my Maximus Ulti with specs nearly perfect to what I wanted at a very reasonable price (£230). I think I'm going to stick with that cue for a while now unless I see an ADR I like the look of and it has specs very close to my liking.

Comment

I've learnt that lesson now, I got my Maximus Ulti with specs nearly perfect to what I wanted at a very reasonable price (£230). I think I'm going to stick with that cue for a while now unless I see an ADR I like the look of and it has specs very close to my liking.
            Need to commit to that cue I would say for a while, it's such a game of accuracy and feel I personally think you need a steady partner. Buy as many as you like for fun, but I think you need a go to cue you know well in a match situation. When the pressure is on I personally need the trust of a cue I've practised with. I know I can produce a level with any decent cue but like that feeling of "the one". Bit like ladies, lots look nice 😎
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
              Need to commit to that cue I would say for a while, it's such a game of accuracy and feel I personally think you need a steady partner. Buy as many as you like for fun, but I think you need a go to cue you know well in a match situation. When the pressure is on I personally need the trust of a cue I've practised with. I know I can produce a level with any decent cue but like that feeling of "the one". Bit like ladies, lots look nice ��
              I think i'm going to try stick to using my Maximus for the time being. But I find the tip slightly too large for playing pool so I might buy another ADR and get craftsman cues to take the tip down to around 8mm for me

Comment

I'm sure they can produce good cue but from my experience of ordering a custom cue from them it was awful. I ordered the cue with a 9mm tip it came with a 8.8mm, the taper was not too dissimilar to an american pool cues taper, and the weighting was around 3oz over what i had asked for. Do you know if the player in your league custom ordered his cue or just choose a 3 star one they had already made that was to their liking?
                He just bought it off ebay. Liked the specs and how it looked. Like Hendry with the original Conny, he thought the Woods was pretty and plumped for it. Took him 6mths to get used to it, as he'd been playing with an old maple cue that was double warped for 20 yrs with three bullets in the butt he'd drilled in, to increase the weight. lol

As Ramon has said, ask not what the cue can do for you but what you can do for the cue. Worked for the leagues top player.

Your Woods cue should have been sent back mate; that's a poor one.

Comment

I owned a Rileys Ronnie O'Sullivan badged cue, which I got when I was about 10-11 and played with that till I quit the sport at about 14. My dad still actually uses that cue to play pool with, it has very nice arrows that run down both sides of the shaft, but it also had a painted on butt. Then when I picked up the sport again a year ago I bought the WL Sport cue then. When I had a look at them on eBay earlier they seem to have gone to designs with even more splices now than when I got mine but the designs still look very similar. When I was using the cue the grain filler would rise out of the grain and make the cue very rough so I would use some 2000 grit sand paper to sand it down to smooth again, I just assume I got a poor batch when it comes to grain filler as I have never seen anything like it before.
                  Do you know what, I think I might take that cue and go and try to clear the line up with it, I feel it deserves it ,as it ( well it's brother) set me on the road of playing snooker, couldn't make an eight break when i first held them, it would just honour them a little .
                  Last edited by itsnoteasy; 6 November 2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Well I took it today ,couldn't do it, best I did was to complete it with two misses , had maybe ten goes, maybe a few more, but just kept running out of position near the end of the Reds. Got the wand out after and cleared it within half a dozen tries( at a guess). It really is a nice cue but you don't half feel the difference between a three quarter and a one piece, there's just so little feeling in the butt of a three quarter compared to a one piece, I don't think I could go back although that cheap little cue might just be going in my case as my emergency cue that's how well it played.

Comment

Well I took it today ,couldn't do it, best I did was to complete it with two misses , had maybe ten goes, maybe a few more, but just kept running out of position near the end of the Reds. Got the wand out after and cleared it within half a dozen tries( at a guess). It really is a nice cue but you don't half feel the difference between a three quarter and a one piece, there's just so little feeling in the butt of a three quarter compared to a one piece, I don't think I could go back although that cheap little cue might just be going in my case as my emergency cue that's how well it played.
                      You'll be waxing lyrical about brass hammers and angel ash soon if you don't watch out.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                        You'll be waxing lyrical about brass hammers and angel ash soon if you don't watch out.
                        You never know, Splasher may just be right, I have cues that cost me four or five times what that cheap cue did, some one piece some three quarters, none hit as well, think it proves to me that you don't need to spend a lot at all ,and it is all about how a certain bit of wood plays, the only down side is the joint, my one went and this one doesn't feel that secure when I use a bit of power.

Comment

He produces a quality product at a reasonable price, I doubt anyone can fault him for that. He's obviously trying to make a name for himself. I suppose his plan is to start of selling cheap then move his prices up with time, like how Maximus have done.
                          To be fair maximus has'nt done that. the latest maximus ultimate my brother bought from Green Baize did cost him 350 mark (few years ago).
                          As far as i know, you're paying today, the seme price. Unles I'm wrong of course.
                          I would agree with you if you apply your statement towards their waiting times ( which is increased in the past few years ).

I read your Review,btw. very nice.
                          Especially their maple cues. I do'nt know which supplier supplies maximus maple wood. But the maple quality they use (especially in ultimate range), is one of the best in the world.

Comment

If I knew that adr147 has 165 best quality ebony cues on their way i would love a look at them!
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                              If I knew that adr147 has 165 best quality ebony cues on their way i would love a look at them!
                              Lol, each cue has to be judged on it's own , That's for sure.
                              But personally I think Thai cuemakers using better quality Maple wood ( in generaal ).
                              Bet You're Not agree with me, though !!

Comment

Are those ADR 147 cues really made in Thai as it says on ebay? There are joints (with the wood-wood contact) that I've only seen on cues by LP. Luck1au has been selling them for years in Australia.
                                Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Working...
                                X