Cue making practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue making practice

Ok so I have been messing around for the last couple of months at making a cue. This is only practice with an ash plank that is totally unsuitable to make a good cue from, but good enough to learn with. It is also my first time using hand planes, splicing ect.

Feel free to laugh, cry, criticise or come up with some helpful hints.

Trying to make something roundish.

Some eucalyptus I had laying around from a neighbours tree that was cut down a couple of years ago. Thanks j6uk for the idea to use some paint to help me see where I am at.

Strangely enough putting on a ferrule was the most scary part for me, not perfect but its a start. There is definitely no real substitute for using a lathe to do this.

More or less finished. Splices look ok in the pics but trust me they are way out. just need some more practice before trying to get some good wood to have a real go at it.

Luckily eucalyptus worked out quite well as it is all I had hanging around. Total cost, price of a few ferrules and some glue. I am enjoying the process and it is only for fun, maybe a couple of reasonable playing cues a little further down the road.

I'd love to have a go but it would end up looking like a new pound coin. I have nothing but admiration for people who can make a usable cue. Hifi speakers from 25mm ply I can do well but curves, tapers etc no way

Comment

well done alex, they look pretty good.. not easy to work on three cues.
      what kind of woods are you using?

Comment

Originally Posted by Despearce View Post
        I'd love to have a go but it would end up looking like a new pound coin. I have nothing but admiration for people who can make a usable cue. Hifi speakers from 25mm ply I can do well but curves, tapers etc no way
        Funny that you should mention Hi-Fi speakers I made some about 5 years ago, made the crossovers myself as well (sound great), would like to make a valve amp for then someday. Would post some pics but this is a cue section.

If you like making things then cues are not beyond you, this is my first try and I don't have a background in carpentry or cabinet making.

Comment

Originally Posted by Alex Gara View Post
          Funny that you should mention Hi-Fi speakers I made some about 5 years ago, made the crossovers myself as well (sound great), would like to make a valve amp for then someday. Would post some pics but this is a cue section.

If you like making things then cues are not beyond you, this is my first try and I don't have a background in carpentry or cabinet making.
          Maybe you should start a thread out of the snooker section for what others have made or are doing, might be interesting.

Nice start to the cues Alex, great stuff mate.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            well done alex, they look pretty good.. not easy to work on three cues.
            what kind of woods are you using?
            Thanks j6,

They are not as bad as I expected for my first bash at it. The pics don't really show how bad the splices are, the third cue I made (the one on the right) came out better splice wise but I am missing some tricks to get them accurate, or maybe just need to get the feel of it and start working to finer and finer tolerances.

The wood is a board of ash I was given, not a good piece at all but great to practice with and have enough left for another 4 shafts. In a couple of months when I have used it up I will be looking to get some better wood.

As for the butts the reddish wood is eucalyptus (cut down next door a couple of years ago) it is about the same weight as most rosewoods though I think Indian rosewood is heavier. It can have a lot of gum in it so wiped it down with acetone before gluing it to help. I actually have really come to like the eucalyptus and it has a good colour, it can range from pink to dark reddish brown. Its not ebony or rosewood and don't think people use it for cues but having used it I think that it works well, and it was free, just had to wait a couple of years for it to dry out. Tough wood when dry, but sharp Irons make it no problem. Getting used to hand planes and love the old ones I have (also free), they took some hours to clean the rust off and flatten but are as good as new maybe better after some fettling.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
              Maybe you should start a thread out of the snooker section for what others have made or are doing, might be interesting.

Nice start to the cues Alex, great stuff mate.

Thanks Shockers,

Am having fun with it.

Comment

good stuff alex, would be interested to know how the cue on the right plays. you tried any of them yet?

Comment

Thanks Shockers,

Am having fun with it.
                  I'm sure you will experience a lot of emotions with it but if you crack it the last will be satisfaction.

Comment

How come all the different tip shapes, are you trying something else out?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                      good stuff alex, would be interested to know how the cue on the right plays. you tried any of them yet?
                      Well the one on the right I only just put a ferrule on and need to put a piece of leather on the butt, it is at 59" 18.5oz with about 18bp, I put 2oz of lead in it and am still working out exactly where to put it for the bp to be where I want, was aiming for 17bp. As you know i like long cues but think I will take off at least half an inch when I get some good thin ferrules and rig up some kind of lathe to cut the tenon with.

Having said that I did put a tip straight on to the wood last week at 60" and had a short bash with it. Have to say I love the feel of a cue without a ferrule on it, it played passably and the shaft feels good but obviously it need to be shorter. It actually has a good vibe to it which really surprised me as I really don't expect anything playable out of this piece of ash and as a novice in the making department.
                      Long shots felt good but for more delicate touches the length felt a little unwieldy.

Will see how it goes at a 59" with a ferrule, then leave it at that for now.

I'll let you know in a week or two when I get a chance to have a proper go.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                        How come all the different tip shapes, are you trying something else out?
                        Omg how embarrassing, I forgot that you are a tip junky, is it too late to photoshop them?

I just put the ferrules on and haven't finished with the tips yet .The one in the middle is more or less ready to go, the one on the left I have left a little taller than I normally like but want to give it a few bashes around the table before final shape. And yes it is a bit of an experiment as I tend to like my tips low and on the edge of playability and am thinking of trying them a bit higher to get more life out of the tips, but am very unsure if I can adapt to that. The one on the right I was halfway through shaping when I took the snaps, it started off as an 11mm elk and the glue in the ferrule hadn't fully cured so left it at that for a day. Which reminds me I can go and finish it off now.
                        Last edited by Alex Gara; 6 May 2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Omg how embarrassing, I forgot that you are a tip junky, is it tool late to photoshop them?

I just put the ferrules on and haven't finished with the tips yet .The one in the middle is more or less ready to go, the one on the left I have left a little taller than I normally like but want to give it a few bashes around the table before final shape. And yes it is a bit of an experiment as I tend to like my tips low and on the edge of playability and am thinking of trying them a bit higher to get more life out of the tips, but am very unsure if I can adapt to that. The one on the right I was halfway through shaping when I took the snaps, it started off as an 11mm elk and the glue in the ferrule hadn't fully cured so left it at that for a day. Which reminds me I can go and finish it off now.
                          No sweat mate just interested.

The tips look fine as it's all personal in my opinion as regards what suits us all.

I know exactly what you mean with keeping them low and on the edge of play-ability.

I am also trying some higher tips but a little harder so they are not too spongy. Anyway, back to yours, looking good mate.

I'm sure you're looking forward to a good knock on the table with them.

Comment

Probably done many hundreds of ferrules over the years but never found the need to use a lathe, all I used was mini pipe cutters a sharp Stanley knife and a small fine file.

Comment

Excellent first time attempts. You certainly have 'The Gift'. :snooker:
                              "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                              National Snooker Expo
                              25-27 October 2019
                              http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X