Cue making practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
    Probably done many hundreds of ferrules over the years but never found the need to use a lathe, all I used was mini pipe cutters a sharp Stanley knife and a small fine file.
    To be honest the ferrules went on really well and am happy with how they turned out for a first try. It is just in the back of my mind that they may not be quite 100%, most likely lack of experience that makes me feel that. But I still want to cobble together something to turn the cue to cut a tenon and fit a ferrule that way, all just part of wanting to do the best job I can, otherwise what is the point of trying to make a cue? I don't need a cue, j6uk already made me one that will last me as long as I continue playing, It's just for fun and I will never sell one, may give away a couple if they are good enough, but that is just a personal thing.

I am sure your ferrules come out perfectly as you say your have done hundreds, so you are confident in your abilities and have the benefit of knowing they have stood the test of time.

Thank you for your input and will remember that doing them by hand works just fine.

Comment

Very Well Done Alex.

What always Stuck in my mind with cue making is what Andy Hunter once quoted & thats " Make a cue that works not one that looks pretty" that's why his cues always plays like a cue should play.

Best of luck Alex seems like you're close to nailing it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Alex Gara View Post
        Well the one on the right I only just put a ferrule on and need to put a piece of leather on the butt, it is at 59" 18.5oz with about 18bp, I put 2oz of lead in it and am still working out exactly where to put it for the bp to be where I want, was aiming for 17bp. As you know i like long cues but think I will take off at least half an inch when I get some good thin ferrules and rig up some kind of lathe to cut the tenon with.

Having said that I did put a tip straight on to the wood last week at 60" and had a short bash with it. Have to say I love the feel of a cue without a ferrule on it, it played passably and the shaft feels good but obviously it need to be shorter. It actually has a good vibe to it which really surprised me as I really don't expect anything playable out of this piece of ash and as a novice in the making department.
        Long shots felt good but for more delicate touches the length felt a little unwieldy.

Will see how it goes at a 59" with a ferrule, then leave it at that for now.

I'll let you know in a week or two when I get a chance to have a proper go.
        they usually feel better without a ferrule

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
          Excellent first time attempts. You certainly have 'The Gift'. :snooker:
          Thanks for the support.

Comment

Originally Posted by Triedandtested View Post
            Very Well Done Alex.

What always Stuck in my mind with cue making is what Andy Hunter once quoted & thats " Make a cue that works not one that looks pretty" that's why his cues always plays like a cue should play.

Best of luck Alex seems like you're close to nailing it.
            Thanks,

I really like Andy Hunters videos on youtube, he knows a hell of a lot about cues and about making them, I wish some of the videos were a little more complete. I agree with you that it is all about how they play not how they look. Plane ebony on ash/maple if done well is just perfection in my eyes and it is hard to find a better playing combination, and will go that route once I am ready. Am not really into overly fancy butts or exacting number of chevrons on a shaft. Although I must say that after making a couple of cues now I really like putting splices on and can see how some people will get carried away making fancy butts, it is fun to do and that is justification in itself.

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
              they usually feel better without a ferrule

Yes it was a bit of a revelation to me, but I just worry that the shaft will split if no ferrule is put on. So once I get more skilful I will be looking at finding some really thin walled ferrules and having them short, around 5 mm or so to see if that gives a more natural feel. I love the look of traditional brass but may consider some kind of fibre ferrule as a one off experiment down the road as they are supposed to feel more like wood, but they just remind me too much of cheap pub pool cues, guess that is why black fibre is used by some cue makers now.

Comment

linen tight weave are the best

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                  linen tight weave are the best
                  Thanks for that.

Comment

Cues look good Alex .

Comment

That's a great start and for someone that has had no training, keep up the good work.
                      For that one you've always wanted...
                      https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Be great if someone could make a cue making thread as in basic of what to do maybe with some videos. I'm a joiner by trade and would love to make a cue but very little "instructional" videos out there just time lapses of the process. I have loads of ash, teak and walnut so would love to put them to use and make a cue. Anyone recommend where to start? And good books or sites?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bison89 View Post
                          Be great if someone could make a cue making thread as in basic of what to do maybe with some videos. I'm a joiner by trade and would love to make a cue but very little "instructional" videos out there just time lapses of the process. I have loads of ash, teak and walnut so would love to put them to use and make a cue. Anyone recommend where to start? And good books or sites?
                          Mike has some info on his site with some videos.

http://handmadecues.com/shaft-tapering/

Comment

Thanks for that

Comment

Originally Posted by Bison89 View Post
                              I got started after watching this video. It covers the basics but what he doesn't do that he should is to get the butt rounded before planing down for the splices. If you plane the butt for the splices when the wood is square the splices will be way out when the cue is then rounded off while keeping the whole cue straight.
                              I made my first cue this way and it turned out pretty good, I've since progressed and have all the tools I need and have picked up some other methods along the way that make the process easier and more accurate.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for that

Comment

Working...
                                X