Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    Please tell us if your one piece cues are genuine one pieces where the shaft is one solid length of timber that goes from tip to the end of the butt.
    The lack of an answer tells me that they aren't.
    I want to know why there's a brass ring where a 3/4 joint would usually be, looks suspect to me, also considering that the cues are done on a lathe not hand made the prices are steep.

Comment

The lack of an answer tells me that they aren't.
      I guess this is the problem with present day cue makers. Lack of honesty and high on profitability. It's hard to determine what's inside that cue and covered by the splices. Can only trust what the maker says.
      Got a friend who told me that his cue is all wood without any metal weights as told by the cue maker.. But when I asked what is the weight of his cue, he said 18oz.
      Told him there is no way a cue can be so heavy without metal weight as I have asked quite a few makers on this. Stated lots in this forum too. So it goes to show how tough it is to believe words unless you are experienced on it.

Comment

Originally Posted by winphenom View Post
        I guess this is the problem with present day cue makers. Lack of honesty and high on profitability. It's hard to determine what's inside that cue and covered by the splices. Can only trust what the maker says.
        Got a friend who told me that his cue is all wood without any metal weights as told by the cue maker.. But when I asked what is the weight of his cue, he said 18oz.
        Told him there is no way a cue can be so heavy without metal weight as I have asked quite a few makers on this. Stated lots in this forum too. So it goes to show how tough it is to believe words unless you are experienced on it.
        One of the cue makers on here, made an ebony butt cue to 18oz... I'm sure... With no weight!
        Not sure who it was but sure it was not that long ago..
        May have a good with one myself and see the sort of weight you can get, without any metal in it..
        For that one you've always wanted...
        https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
          One of the cue makers on here, made an ebony butt cue to 18oz... I'm sure... With no weight!
          May have a good with one myself and see the sort of weight you can get, without any metal in it..
          It was mentioned on this thread. Stating a plain ebony cue weighs in naturally at 18oz, it's on page 2. I think it would be difficult to get that heavy without adding a weight as said above by winphenom.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
            It was mentioned on this thread. Stating a plain ebony cue weighs in naturally at 18oz, it's on page 2. I think it would be difficult to get that heavy without adding a weight as said above by winphenom.
            I will try to find the pic and thread, where the cue was posted.
            Just can't remember who it was...

Comment

hi
              my cue shafts are currently 60 inches long and down to about 1mm oversize. I will be fitting ferrules and splicing the butt ands over the next few weeks.
              The ash will be visible at the butt end unless I put a mini but joint in it.
              my shafts are taken down by electric plane to a point about 5mm oversize and then taken down with a jointing plane, small block plane and sandpaper.

Its difficult and time consuming but the end result is very satisfying. cant wait to finish my first cue.
              regards

Comment

I think I was Jim Evans ( Jawes cues) that made a plain Ebony cue naturally weighted at 18 oz.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Hi Mate, that cue maker was J6uk and the owner of that cue is me. Hahaha... weight is only 16oz. It's quite impossible to get to 17.5oz, not to mention 18, unless your cue is exceptionally long with exceptionally long ebony splicing as well. Or if it was not ash but a different type of heavy wood. There was one mentioned where it was full ebony made for the whole cue and that is definitely heavy.
                  My cue ebony is also longer at 23 inches.
                  Last edited by winphenom; 26 June 2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Hi Mate, that cue maker was J6uk and the owner of that cue is me. Hahaha... weight is only 16oz. It's quite impossible to get to 17.5oz, not to mention 18, unless your cue is exceptionally long with exceptionally long ebony splicing as well. Or if it was not ash but a different type of heavy wood. There was one mentioned where it was full ebony made for the whole cue and that is definitely heavy.
                    I stand corrected... No problem there and did say I might have it wrong lol...

Comment

most cues are around 15 plus ounces rarely exceeding 16 ounces even with longs splices(we are talking 30 mm butt). If you wish to get a naturally weighted cue above 16 ounces then one needs a thicker butt. I would estimate at least 32 to 33 mm thick butt to get a cue at 18 ounces naturally weighted

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
                        most cues are around 15 plus ounces rarely exceeding 16 ounces even with longs splices(we are talking 30 mm butt). If you wish to get a naturally weighted cue above 16 ounces then one needs a thicker butt. I would estimate at least 32 to 33 mm thick butt to get a cue at 18 ounces naturally weighted
                        Absolutely spot on Sanman. Mine is 31mm butt with extra long ebony splices and cue length of 57.5. So it adds up to 16oz. So it's extremely hard to go to 17.5, not to mention wanting it at 18oz. Some cue makers add to the weight by way of the butt end extension metal socket for screwing in extensions. This I feel, is not right as it's not the natural weight of the cue.
                        Last edited by winphenom; 26 June 2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

You could get closer to 18oz's if you butterfly spliced as that would have more ebony in the butt.

Comment

Absolutely spot on Sanman. Mine is 31mm butt with extra long ebony splices and cue length of 57.5. So it adds up to 16oz. So it's extremely hard to go to 17.5, not to mention wanting it at 18oz. Some cue makers add to the weight by way of the butt end extension metal socket for screwing in extensions. This I feel, is not right as it's not the natural weight of the cue.
                            Butt socket is more to do with what done people want now and not to add to the weight.
                            I have added a few to people's cues that didn't have them..
                            I understand your thinking but few will play or want to play with a 15 to 16.5oz cue... Most will want closer to 18oz.

Comment

You could get closer to 18oz's if you butterfly spliced as that would have more ebony in the butt.
                              That's very true too vmax. But butterfly splicing is individual taste too. Cheers

Comment

Butt socket is more to do with what done people want now and not to add to the weight.
                                I have added a few to people's cues that didn't have them..
                                I understand your thinking but few will play or want to play with a 15 to 16.5oz cue... Most will want closer to 18oz.
                                Modern game players want this heavier cue for better power and firmness. But if we look at it from different perspectives, with faster clothes and lighter balls as compared to the old days, do we really need a heavier cue except for that weighty feel? The power associated with heavy cues is really quite unnecessary in modern day game and condition.
                                Of course, it's really your own preference and ideology with regards to this thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X