No announcement yet.

Need help on deciding on cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parris would usually have some Parris collection 3/4 cues within budget, 1 pc would typically be out of your budget. if you're after 1 piece Robert Osborne would offer both 1 pc and 3/4 red plates within budget.

Osborne cues are up there with the best in terms of quality. you don't tend to see many around or for sale as he's no longer selling online or doing custom orders. mostly uses agents in the far east now, as well as selling the odd cue from his workshop.

Comment

Back to your original questions, pretty cues don't mean better quality or feel; in fact most would say simple ebony or rosewood butts are the best. 1 piece often more pricey because you need to source a longer quality shaft compared with a 3/4 cue.

Caution with buying on eBay - some fakes out there and sometimes difficult to tell until it arrives. Though you can buy good cues if you're lucky.

Thai cues from Ton Praram and possibly Maximus are exceptional and not second rate, even when compared with John Parris, Mike Woolridge or Trevor White...in which case Stu at Green baize is your best bet and worth the journeyas to be honest, it's all in the feel and you can't rely on the price and brand to dictate if the cue is 'right' for you.

If you simply want a 'good' cue then ADR will not sell you a bad cue in terms of playability - strictly from what I read and experience of communications - I've not bought from him myself (yet).

Decorative splicing adds cost for the skill in woodowork but not necessarily adds to playability, balance or quality.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks guys for all help

Anish - with regards to the splicing I understand that it doesn't add to the playability of the cue but was wondering if it could actually takes away from the playability, kind of disrupt the balance in a way? (Again this would be probably down to the quality of the craftsman behind it)

With the 3/4 cues I thought the shaft still went all the way to the end of the butt or am I wrong here? If so surely the length would be the same needed for a 3/4 or 1 piece
        Last edited by Kierand; 22 December 2017, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kierand View Post
          Hi ADR147 do you have a shop or showroom where I can come and have a look at some of your cues? Where abouts are you based?
          From reading quite a lot of threads on here trying to help me decide I've definitely noticed you've gotten some great reviews
          yes but as has been said i live very north!
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Thanks guys for all help

Anish - with regards to the splicing I understand that it doesn't add to the playability of the cue but was wondering if it could actually takes away from the playability, kind of disrupt the balance in away? (Again probably down to the quality of the craftsman behind it)

With the 3/4 cues I thought the shaft still went all the way to the end of the butt or am I wrong here? If so surely the length would be the same needed for a 3/4 or 1 piece
            most 3/4 cues are in fact a shaft jointed to a solid lump of ebony. there is no right and wrong with a cue, no best maker etc - a good cue is a good cue , you just need to find one to suit.

Comment

Hi adr147
              Had a look on your eBay store, some nice stuff
              Is that all of your stock at the moment?

Comment

Hi adr147
                Had a look on your eBay store, some nice stuff
                Is that all of your stock at the moment?
                that guy has more stock than he can ever upload haha.

where do you play snooker mate?

im from south london so

Comment

Good to know- the ones I saw lookEd nice but only had 3 one piece cues on the eBay store

I go to the cousins in Holloway

Comment

Thanks guys for all help

Anish - with regards to the splicing I understand that it doesn't add to the playability of the cue but was wondering if it could actually takes away from the playability, kind of disrupt the balance in a way? (Again this would be probably down to the quality of the craftsman behind it)

It may well affect the balance very slightly, but to be honest humans are not machines and so any small imbalance is unlikely to make a difference. Agree with ADR - 1 piece JP cues are £120 more if you play around with the cue builder - due to additional time/wastage required to source a longer 1 piece shaft.

All about playability and therefore you need to handle the cue. Or at the very least have played with enough cues to understand your specifications.

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                      that guy has more stock than he can ever upload haha.

where do you play snooker mate?

im from south london so
                      lol around 1000 cues just now!

Comment

Oh my word. That's a forest worth of cues!

Comment

Oh wow adr147 that's good to hear
                          Could you email me some of your one piece cues please
                          I'll pm you with my email address

Comment

Oh wow adr147 that's good to hear
                            I'll pm you with my email address
                            sure - adr147@hotmail.com

Comment

I doubt they would fit inside an email

Comment

Good to know- the ones I saw lookEd nice but only had 3 one piece cues on the eBay store

I go to the cousins in Holloway
                                Hi Kierand,

I know the club as I've played pool matches against they teams.
                                Also from North London and the owner knows me.
                                If you fancy getting in contact about one, I would also be happy to talk to you about one.
                                It's not for from me as I'm living in Seven sisters at the mo.

Colin
                                For that one you've always wanted...
                                https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Working...
                                X