X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
    how is that nameplate done airin?

p.s. do my eyes deceive me or is it off to the left a little?
    It is not off to left or right, just the angle of the pictures.:-).
    It is a regular name plate with a clear cover that I installed level with the cue then just polished and finished over.
    Because the wood is black so is the background of the badge, plus the fit of the badge is just the right size with no gap around it so it looks the way it is. The platinum fonts kind of appear to be part of the wood but they sit lower then the surface.
    Just my attempt to do something a bit different on a commonly seen ebony ash cue.
    Last edited by poolqjunkie; 10 February 2012, 07:38 PM.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
      +1. The shaft on this cue is beautiful. A real deep honey colour. Looks like very well seasoned ash. Stunning cue!
      Thanks Matty and Deant. I like this ash, it reminds me of those very old cues from the "good old days.":-)
      Nowadays, lots of people only want shafts with very few arrows because they believe in the myth that less arrows are better than more arrows. It is nice to see people appreciating the more traditional looking chevrons on a shaft.:-)
      Thanks.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

• Good work airin, it really does look printed on like a deroo.

Top stuff and one of the nicest plain ebony cues i've seen. looks a real bute fairplay.

Still need to move the badge down a tad more though....

Comment

• Originally Posted by cally View Post
          Good work airin, it really does look printed on like a deroo.

Top stuff and one of the nicest plain ebony cues i've seen. looks a real bute fairplay.

Still need to move the badge down a tad more though....
          What Deroo does is that he puts a peel-off decal (like a sticker or an instant tatoo) on the cue before he sprays some thick varnish over, which is a very common way of marking 9 ball cues. Most lower end cues are marked that way. The higher end ones are usually engraved or signed or both, but some semi-high end US pool cues also use decal. I believe some very cheap snooker house cues are maked that way, too.

I have seen several Deroo's black ebony cues covered with a black dye under thick layer of varnish so I suspect if he puts on a real proper badge the black dye will cover up the badge making things quite messy. Using a decal will save him a lot of time and make things much easier for him. Also since his snooker cues are made like US 9 ball cues may be he just likes to mark them like one?

A decal is much cheaper to buy and can even be printed with a printer at home. If the decal did not go in the middle it can just be peeled off and re-done easily. It costs next to nothing and takes next to no skill to put it on properly.

With a real badge, if your hole is not drilled in the middle or if it was drilled too deep or not flat or even on the bottom, you are in a lot of trouble. You may even have to re-do the front splice if you really mess up.

When he tries to sand his finish on his lathe you can see that the flat is not always evenly sanded so when you look at his cues from the butt joint on they are not always symmetrical. This is because when you try to turn a cue with a flat on a lathe in one direction the flat will not be sanded even on both sides. I dont have this problem because I just sand and polish by hand.

Kevin makes a very nice playing cues. His cues play very solid and responsive on average.

But I just want to point out that my cues are made and constructed completely different--nothing like his and I have no interest nor intention to make anything like that whatsoever.

What I did was that I installed a real badge just like what most real snooker cue makers such as Mike, Robert...do, it is much more time consuming and requires more skill but I believe it looks much better and it is the proper way to mark a snooker cue. I am no interested in taking short cuts.

My logo is my pride and I am not going to represent my work with a piece of peel-off sticker.

When I install the badge I make sure the badge is flush and level with the cue by hand polishing and planning. My round badges are laser cut in Germany and they are very precise and round. I need to use a rubber hammer to hammer the badge slightly to make it go into the hole. Although I put epoxy on the bottom of the hole the fit is so precise no epoxy will come out through any gap aorund the badge because there is no gap. So, if I put too much epoxy they will just all got trapped in the bottom and raise the badge.

Since the fonts are hot stamped on the bottom--not on the top--of the badge, my logo is not printed on the surface but it actually sits underneath the surface, giving it a more 3-D look.

I have included a few pictures here. It is easier to see on a rounded butt cue:

Last edited by poolqjunkie; 10 February 2012, 10:10 PM.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

• Very effective airin...

Comment

• Hi Airin,
              This is Patrick here. It is an awesome cue. Nicely done.

Comment

• Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                An ebony cue...
                Wonder if Jay would relate ebony and 9 inches and say something...:-D

Wow another great looking cue airin

and sorry if my earlier post upset anyone i don't even remember posting it i was a total mess we had a 5k bar tab for work

Comment

• Originally Posted by jay_j View Post
                  Wow another great looking cue airin

and sorry if my earlier post upset anyone i don't even remember posting it i was a total mess we had a 5k bar tab for work
                  Jay you post did not offend me at all, I doubt anyone was offened. We all know it was a joke and I just find that funny that is all.
                  5k bar tab is insane, how many of you were there? LOL
                  Hope you had a great time.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

• Blimey, that's even nicer than the cocobolo cue a couple of pages back. Love the colour of the ash Airin.
                    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

• This thread should be renamed the aurora cues thread eh...lol...

sorry...

I'll get my coat.................................

Comment

• Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                        Jay you post did not offend me at all, I doubt anyone was offened. We all know it was a joke and I just find that funny that is all.
                        5k bar tab is insane, how many of you were there? LOL
                        Hope you had a great time.
                        there was ment to be 40 of us but only 12 showed up so was a blast

Comment

Mmmmmmm Los 4tw.

Comment

• Originally Posted by snookdevon View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]9222[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9223[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9224[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9225[/ATTACH]
                            Owned and used by myself approx 20 years.
                            One piece i believe it to be pearwood shaft.
                            9mm tip Brass ferrule added not by myself.
                            Length aproxx 59 inches.
                            Should add stamped at 18 oz no other distinguishing marks .

Comment

• Hi Arin

The shaft is spot on, but I love the way that the badge just melts into the butt, very different and stunning too!

Comment

Looks like how the DeRoo signature is done, yes Airin how is this done?
                                cheers
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X