This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
    Ordered exactly the same but in a one piece . Classic cue .

What specs did you go for ?

This is one i got off ebay around a year ago, was previously owned by inoffthered on here, http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...-s-almost-here .

The weight is down to around 17.7, far as i'm aware the tip and length are still 57.5 and 9.4, 27mm butt jointed at 19" for overall length of 25" i think.
    Last edited by narl; 4 January 2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• Morning guys,

As promised, here is my review of my new Ton Praram III. First, some pics! I will add comments about the cue itself just below.
      The idea of swapping back to ash was the need for a firmer feeling on the stroke and the fact my Jason Owen was just a bit too short (57,3"). With this one at 58, what a difference in my backswing. How stupid is it to have such a difference with just half an inch more, isn't it?

Specs: Series 1 - 58", 18.5oz, 9.4mm. Ash shaft, ebony butt with four splices of what is supposed to be rosewood (supposed to be because to me it doesn't look at all to any kind of rosewood so if anyone has an idea, let me know! )

Cue analysis:
      - The overall aspect is very neat. I like the look a lot, with the four splices being different to each other. One in particular is reddish and it gives a nice character to the cue. The shaft is perfect with few chevrons and a clean ash. Glide is perfect, silky smooth feeling which is important to me, after two years with a maple cue. Splices are perfectly aligned, you don't feel any joints whatsoever on the but. Here again, silky smooth. The finish is excellent, really on par with my Jason Owen, which was the best I have had so far in that department. Some very good work here, I was very impressed when I received it to be honest. I didn't expect that level of quality for the price I paid for it (£275).
      - On the playability now, I am still looking for a bad point. Stroke is very solid, cue is perfectly balanced, got a nice touch amongst the balls, in the close game as well as on long shots. Cue is super steady with just the good amount of flex to apply side spin (which takes very well!). It is very responsive on the stroke. Paired with a good tip, it's a killer.

Overall, I am more than happy to have spent "just" £275 for such an excellent cue, and not gone for a more expensive one. I have had my fair share of cues in the last 15 years, from different cue makers and I can say this one is on par with the bests. It is far above my old JP Superior and fairly equal to my JO. It is impressive to see such a very good cue at this price, when we have people here spending fortunes for something that would probably be not better than this one. It is my first Thai cue and it is excellent value for money. My mate recently purchased his second Maximus Ultimate but even though it is excellent, playing wise, I can say the finish of the TP is a bit above...and mine is just a Series 1, not even the TP's top range...

Finally, I would just like to address a huge thank you to Stu at Green Baize, who has been of excellent advice! He and his associate Max were very helpfull when we purchased my mate's Maximus and for my cue as well. Offered to tests a selection of cues to make sure we would pick the one corresponding to our needs. Their conclusions were really spot on and very honnest. It was a superb customer experience and as I work in that field, I can testify it is far from being always the case!! So I really recommend going to Green Baize if you're looking for a new cue!
      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

• Looks like rainbow rosewood..

Comment

• Rainbow rosewood? What does it look like? Can't find any pic on google.

Edit: maybe 'brazilian rosewood'? which looks clearer?
          Last edited by Erwan_BZH; 14 January 2016, 03:25 PM.
          Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

• **Post Pictures of your cue!**

There's some pics of rainbow rosewood on the Ton Praram Facebook page, also some very cool acrylic mini-butts!

Btw, nice cue
            #jeSuisByrom

Comment

• Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
              Morning guys,

As promised, here is my review of my new Ton Praram III. First, some pics! I will add comments about the cue itself just below.
              The idea of swapping back to ash was the need for a firmer feeling on the stroke and the fact my Jason Owen was just a bit too short (57,3"). With this one at 58, what a difference in my backswing. How stupid is it to have such a difference with just half an inch more, isn't it?

Specs: Series 1 - 58", 18.5oz, 9.4mm. Ash shaft, ebony butt with four splices of what is supposed to be rosewood (supposed to be because to me it doesn't look at all to any kind of rosewood so if anyone has an idea, let me know! )

Cue analysis:
              - The overall aspect is very neat. I like the look a lot, with the four splices being different to each other. One in particular is reddish and it gives a nice character to the cue. The shaft is perfect with few chevrons and a clean ash. Glide is perfect, silky smooth feeling which is important to me, after two years with a maple cue. Splices are perfectly aligned, you don't feel any joints whatsoever on the but. Here again, silky smooth. The finish is excellent, really on par with my Jason Owen, which was the best I have had so far in that department. Some very good work here, I was very impressed when I received it to be honest. I didn't expect that level of quality for the price I paid for it (£275).
              - On the playability now, I am still looking for a bad point. Stroke is very solid, cue is perfectly balanced, got a nice touch amongst the balls, in the close game as well as on long shots. Cue is super steady with just the good amount of flex to apply side spin (which takes very well!). It is very responsive on the stroke. Paired with a good tip, it's a killer.

Overall, I am more than happy to have spent "just" £275 for such an excellent cue, and not gone for a more expensive one. I have had my fair share of cues in the last 15 years, from different cue makers and I can say this one is on par with the bests. It is far above my old JP Superior and fairly equal to my JO. It is impressive to see such a very good cue at this price, when we have people here spending fortunes for something that would probably be not better than this one. It is my first Thai cue and it is excellent value for money. My mate recently purchased his second Maximus Ultimate but even though it is excellent, playing wise, I can say the finish of the TP is a bit above...and mine is just a Series 1, not even the TP's top range...

Finally, I would just like to address a huge thank you to Stu at Green Baize, who has been of excellent advice! He and his associate Max were very helpfull when we purchased my mate's Maximus and for my cue as well. Offered to tests a selection of cues to make sure we would pick the one corresponding to our needs. Their conclusions were really spot on and very honnest. It was a superb customer experience and as I work in that field, I can testify it is far from being always the case!! So I really recommend going to Green Baize if you're looking for a new cue!
              Great looking cue !! Praram cues are great players .
              Wish you many 147's with it .

Comment

• Thanks Ramon! But I'm far away from a maxi If only I could get a ton to start with :P But working hard on it

Comment

• Some of my modern cues: Not really sure why I buy them...!

Craftsman Custom: 9.3mm 58.75" and 17 3/4oz - jointed @ 15.75", balance @ 19", 30mm butt
                  North West Cues: 9.8mm 58.75" and 20oz - jointed @ 16.25", balance @ 17", 30mm butt
                  Jason Owen: 9.5mm 57.5" and 17 3/4oz - balance @ 16.5", 30mm butt

Anyone fancy a swap for an old cue, or a pool cue in the specs: 57.5-58" - 8.75-9 - 16.5-17oz - balance at least 17.5" or more.
                  Last edited by perpetualboredom; 16 January 2016, 07:51 PM.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Old cue collector --
                  Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                  (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Looks lik palisander santos.
                    Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
                    Morning guys,

Cue analysis:

Every point counts double with my homemade snooker cue
                    https://www.facebook.com/bungda.cue1/photos_albums

Comment

Thanks Ramon! But I'm far away from a maxi If only I could get a ton to start with :P But working hard on it
                      You do enjoy the game and you have a cue that suits ur game ,, That's the main thing my friend .
                      Keep practice and I'm sure you'll get thr .

Comment

• Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                        Some of my modern cues: Not really sure why I buy them...!

Craftsman Custom: 9.3mm 58.75" and 17 3/4oz - jointed @ 15.75", balance @ 19", 30mm butt
                        North West Cues: 9.8mm 58.75" and 20oz - jointed @ 16.25", balance @ 17", 30mm butt
                        Jason Owen: 9.5mm 57.5" and 17 3/4oz - balance @ 16.5", 30mm butt

Anyone fancy a swap for an old cue, or a pool cue in the specs: 57.5-58" - 8.75-9 - 16.5-17oz - balance at least 17.5" or more.
                        Nice colection .
                        That JO cue Looks amazing .

Comment

• Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                            You do enjoy the game and you have a cue that suits ur game ,, That's the main thing my friend .
                            Keep practice and I'm sure you'll get thr .
                            It's already paying dividends as I'm feeling more and more comfortable with the cue. it's really a natural! Had a nice 77 on lineup saturday eve, as well as a couple 40s. Sensations and confidence are back

Comment

It's already paying dividends as I'm feeling more and more comfortable with the cue. it's really a natural! Had a nice 77 on lineup saturday eve, as well as a couple 40s. Sensations and confidence are back
                              Good start , do'nt u think ?
                              Of crs, playing with a cue that suits your game is also important for ur confidence . Agree with you 100 prct .

Comment

• Yes, absolutely, the main difference is the length! Adding almost an inch is huge to complete my natural backswing. With the JO, I often found myself with the ferrule on the bridge, which is unpleasant and breaks my focus in fact.
                                And the firmness of the ash is helping as well, feels more solid on the stroke. Now need to train my focus!

Comment

Working...
                                X