Maple Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good post trevs

ive no doubt that you and mike are among "the best". one of you may be the best in many folks eyes. IMO its only able to be based on opinions. on here id say its biased, but not so that you or mike are getting unfair credit - im sure you both deserve the credit you get on here and elsewhere.

i was merely asking BC so as to clarify if it was his opinion, an opinion based on what was on here, or otherwise....

IMO thered be much more than 5 or so top cuemakers who could make a great cue out of similar materials.

your reputation (and other top cuemakers reputations) has been gathered over years of making and so IMO is deserved.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
      You might have a point here Semih, but I'd say it was more his own opinion than as a result of a Global poll he's carried out.
      Hahahahahah.

I love that Trev.

Comment

Its a fact.

Comment

I entirely agree with you and your comments - I'm from the generation that didn't grow up with computers and the net and was subsequently suspicious of it. I've had to catch up quick and realise that what I used to have to do, sending out brochures and catalogues to people is now done far more effectively via a website and forum such as this. This thing about seeing others cues to make an assessment I find strange; I've never seen one of your cues, but am prepared to accept by virtue of others opinions and photographs of your work that you're a top cuemaker. Until recently I hadn't seen any of Mikes cues and have only done so now because they've come to me for repair or alteration. The same applies to O'Min, Master, Glover, Matt Chambers, Coutts and some of JP's - all of which have recently come in for repair or alteration. As a cuemaker I've never gone out of my way to look at other makers cues, I've just got on with my own business happy in the knowledge that the orders have kept coming in, I've been earning a living and my customers all seemed to be happy with their cues. You're right, ego doesn't or shouldn't come into this and maybe this is what makes us different, as cuemakers, to others involved in earning their living marketing whatever they can get their hands on. Who is the best cuemaker is only a matter of opinion which will differ from each person according to the cue they're happiest with and play best with. I spoke to Tony Glover the other day and asked him to make a special plate to go on a custom cue I'm making for someone, he was more than willing to help; which I hope shows that amongst us cuemakers the need for egos is far less than the appreciation of a colleagues work and the fact that they are tradesmen in the same trade earning a living the same way
          www.cuemaker.co.uk

Comment

Trevor White makes the worst cues in the world they are bloody rubbish. I've seen better wood with a mop head on the end.

Now get really peed off with me Trevor and when you get my cue to get that bloody biro insert out of it burn it chop it up for firewood whatever just say it never arrived.

(I'm sending it well insured.)

Comment

Does all this mean I have to start explaining every cue I've seen and every cue maker I've talked to before I make a comment!!!

Comment

That's the point entirely - as I said in my thread - even though I've been making cues for 30 years it doesn't mean I've seen all the other cue makers cues, and even if I had, I wouldn't be prepared to make a derogatory comment about them, because, as a cue maker I know that not every cue comes out right, the skill is making it look right so that no one else realises - I believe that cuemakers who are earning a living at their trade must have got something right to still be in business and those that have been in the business as long as I have at least deserve a modicum of respect, and if someone hasn't seen my cues. it puts them in the same predicament as me, everyone is entitiled to their opinion and hopefully that opinion will be based without predjudice, I have a great deal of respect for the other cuemakers on this forum and elsewhere; just recently I've had cues in for alteration or repair from cuemakers I'd never heard of before, but to others they may be household names, but never-the-less I can appreciate their workmanship, without bias or predjudice. Of some of the names who I've either done work for, or made cues for over the years - Jimmy White, Tony Meo, Steve Lee, David Gray, Aidan Murphy, Lee Grant and the list goes on, who know me or will remember me if your ask them, will know me as a cue maker, and to them I'm a household name, but to you who haven't heard of me or seen my cues, you are in the same situation as me who hasn't seen a Trevor White cue, but from the pictures I've seen of his cues, as a cue maker, he knows what he's doing, and long may he continue to make a good living. So in answer to your thread, no you don't have to explain everything you seen or spoken to, that only helps to increase your knowledge of the subject and hopefully your subjectivity and open your mind to further possibilities and hopefully more good looking cues
                www.cuemaker.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X