Snooker cue profit margin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by thinsy View Post
    Why do people need to know how much someone is making out of them?

If you need/want a cue and your willing/happy to pay X amount for something then just pay it and enjoy it....
    maybe its the credit crunch,lol

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
      So what if that cue maker says it takes X amount of time and therefore will cost you X amount of money but surely that doesn't alone lead to a better quality cue just because the time taken is longer. What if someone is very slow or lazy, should they be able to charge more just because they take their time? I don't think anyone charging over £200 for a plain ash/ebony cue can justify it even then its pushing it but then that's only my opinion.
      i did hear 1 story suggesting every cue john parris sells is priced with approx 20% of the cost going to marketing, i'm not sure how true that is, or if it is true at all, but i guess it could make sense.

Comment

Originally Posted by brucie1962 View Post
        i did hear 1 story suggesting every cue john parris sells is priced with approx 20% of the cost going to marketing, i'm not sure how true that is, or if it is true at all, but i guess it could make sense.
        there is no way john's marketing budget is anywhere near that size!
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Picasso was dining at a fashionable New York restaurant, doodling on a napkin.
          A fan approached boldly and gushed about how it was such an honour to meet him - how much she loved his work.
          Noticing the little sketch sitting on the table she asked if she could have it.
          Picasso said "Of course Madam", handing it to her, "That will be $10,000.oo".
          "
          The woman was aghast. "But that only took you 5 minutes!".

Picasso replied, "No, Madam, it took me 5 minutes and 50 years".

=o)

Noel

Comment

The doodle was that of a nearby swan which the woman thought looked more like a duck, turning to a young boy at another table who had also drawn the swan but far more recognisable as such she bought his for £5 instead.

She may have been a fan of Picasso but she was no mug.

Comment

Potted? Miss and Foul.

n:snooker:el

Originally Posted by potted View Post
              The doodle was that of a nearby swan which the woman thought looked more like a duck, turning to a young boy at another table who had also drawn the swan but far more recognisable as such she bought his for £5 instead.

Comment

Cost vs. Price

As with anything else in this wonderful world of commerce, cost or time invested has little to do with the selling price of a product. A good cue maker can command a high price because we want what he has, and we're prepared to pay for it.

On the other hand a poor craftsman may not even recover his cost because we just don't want to buy junk.

If Trevor or Mike could get 500 for a cue why would they sell it for less; to do so would only attract profiteers!:snooker:

Comment

No body works for free. Well almost...

In America pool players (who have the means-and some who dont) think nothing of spending $2000 on a cue made by a cue maker-not a factory made cue. With some custom cues going well over $20,000 brand new and there are waiting lists with some makers at that level.

If people want to pay for a cue that they enjoy, I hope they do and the person who made the cue enjoys a good business. Everybody is happy.

I have yet to buy a proper snoker cue that i'm really happy with, but I will enjoy the search and ask question here. Thanks in advance for the help.

My name is Eric Petersen, I will make a inteoduction later.

cheers

eric

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                    As ADR says its not possible to put an exact figure on it but even if they can I don't think they'd actually like to say.
                    Lets just say there is a decent amount of profit in it, for example a 1 piece plain ash and Ebony cue, the materials alone would probably cost less than £40 yet most places the cheapest you'll get such a cue is around £140 up to £400 so I'd like the more expensive places to justify that. Not looking for an argument btw before anyone comes on the defensive, I just think its amazing how you can have such a big range like that for near enough the same product and raw materials!
                    oh dear. someone needs to get out more...

Originally Posted by Straight strike View Post
                    If anyone thinks that he can make a cue as good as a cuemaker, he can buy the wood and do it himself. It is as simple as that.
                    couldn't have put it better myself.

well, i may have added a few swear words here and there...

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
                    Their 'hand made to your own spec' black badge cues were £500 back in 1985!!
                    So prices have hardly changed in 25 years.
                    quite right.

and i remember phoning up 'demanding' they justify their prices when i could get one from argos for £25....

Originally Posted by thinsy View Post
                    Why do people need to know how much someone is making out of them?

If you need/want a cue and your willing/happy to pay X amount for something then just pay it and enjoy it....

that really is all there is to it...

Originally Posted by potted View Post

she also had no class, and promptly went home to put the picture on her mantelpiece next to the life size oil painting of her yorkshire terrier.

Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
                    No body works for free. Well almost...

In America pool players (who have the means-and some who dont) think nothing of spending $2000 on a cue made by a cue maker-not a factory made cue. With some custom cues going well over $20,000 brand new and there are waiting lists with some makers at that level.

If people want to pay for a cue that they enjoy, I hope they do and the person who made the cue enjoys a good business. Everybody is happy.

I have yet to buy a proper snoker cue that i'm really happy with, but I will enjoy the search and ask question here. Thanks in advance for the help.

My name is Eric Petersen, I will make a inteoduction later.

cheers

eric
                    good day to you eric.

you are talking about the u.s. of a. this is jolly old england....

where everybody hates a winner and the chips don't just come from shops, but can often be found sat squarely across the shoulders....
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Just as we all have to make a living, so do cue makers. If they can charge more because they make top quality goods then the very best of luck to them. They are satisfying a demand from their clients. It may not last forever and if the money's there (and profit) you have to take it.

I, for one, would not be put off by paying extra for a better product. Both Ford and Bentley make cars that do the same thing, don't they but there the similarity ends.

Do you ask for justification of everything? Go to B&Q and price up a small item. Then look at the trade prices. It would make you weep the margin they make.

Comment

What about online marketing? How is the income of, for example, crowd marketers estimated? Is this income for a certain action or for complex work? For example, how much does a separate backlink cost if you buy it from a seller who is engaged in link building?

Comment

It's very subjective. I personally don't rate the john parris cues I've seen and held especially when compared to some other makers (glover, TW etc) and suspect there is a great deal of mark up based on badge, over the actual quality involved.

But, in a game where psychology is important, if someone wants to feel good about themselves for owning this cue or that, fair enough.

Various cues I've had cost between 90 and 470, relatively modest but none have turned me into ronnie just yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X