Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can we change the pocket size of a full size 12 foot snooker table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can we change the pocket size of a full size 12 foot snooker table?

Hi,
    If anyone can tell me if I can change the pocket size of the ful size 12 foot snooker table to "match table" pocket from a club table pocket?
    thx

I assume you would need to have cushions re-placed and cut to templates that you require....easy job for a table fitter

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      I assume you would need to have cushions re-placed and cut to templates that you require....easy job for a table fitter
      Thank u JRC750......

Comment

Good Day, Make sure you go try a few frames on a table to ensure you will like it. It is costly to change the Rubbers and Rail cloths, I changed mine and wished I would never have touched them, will have to buy another set of rail Cloths and recut my rubbers.
        Cheers,
        I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by sharkster63 View Post
          Good Day, Make sure you go try a few frames on a table to ensure you will like it. It is costly to change the Rubbers and Rail cloths, I changed mine and wished I would never have touched them, will have to buy another set of rail Cloths and recut my rubbers.
          Cheers,
          Cheers sharkster63.....for your information.....

Comment

my club has just had this done and there is a huge difference in the allowence off the knuckle. although it is harder to play on at first you will get used to aiming nearer the centre of the pocket and it makes a huge difference whenyou play on other tables with more generous pockets.

the club was charged just short of £900 for new rubbers, new pocket leathers and a new smart cloth.

Comment

Originally Posted by nostawmail View Post
              my club has just had this done and there is a huge difference in the allowence off the knuckle. although it is harder to play on at first you will get used to aiming nearer the centre of the pocket and it makes a huge difference whenyou play on other tables with more generous pockets.

the club was charged just short of £900 for new rubbers, new pocket leathers and a new smart cloth.
              Thanks for the information...^^...

Comment

Don't forget, that if you're having this done right, you may also have to get the slate fall modified to template standards too and use a fast cloth like No.10 or hainsworth match. Slow cloths on a tight table make it very difficult to play on. Do not use smart on a tight table. I would also recommend under slate heating to assist with extra pace.

Comment

Oh, and get a fitter who REALLY knows what he is doing, such as Geoff Large on here. A slight imperfection on the cut of tight pockets can spell disaster as I discovered in my previous club. Couldnt even drop a ball in down the cushion, never mind trying to force it.

Comment

Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
                    Oh, and get a fitter who REALLY knows what he is doing, such as Geoff Large on here. A slight imperfection on the cut of tight pockets can spell disaster as I discovered in my previous club. Couldnt even drop a ball in down the cushion, never mind trying to force it.
                    Thanks mate...very helpful advice....^^....

Comment

nicenut:

The table I coached you on at the SW Academy was very close to pro template although I did find it just a bit tighter than the table beside it.

I would also recommend table heaters like they have at the Academy plus #10 or the Hainsworth match cloth.

To give you my experience, when I came home I found my own table (with #10 installed) was playing REALLY slow in comparison to the Star tables at the Academy. As I noticed it was always cooler downstairs in the basement I went out and bought a temp/humidity monitor and found out it was around 65F and humidity was at 60%. So I put a 4ft baseboard heater under the table from blue to near the black spot and set it at slightly above room temp. Although it took a little tweaking I've finally got it just about right and the temp is now at around 71F with the humidity down to around 45% but I'm still not satisfied.

I noticed also at the Academy he has these tube-like under table heaters and after a lot of searching (they said they were greenhouse shelf heaters but I couldn't find anything similar on line) I finally found a company in the States which sells dehumidifier products and they had something called 'dampp chasers' which come in 2-3-4ft lengths and the 4ft one only used 35W of power, so I've ordered 4 of those and am anxiously waiting on them. Very easy to install and just plug in and the cost was around 30quid each.

As the #10 is slightly thicker than the 6811 I think my target should be around 35% humidity and temp around 72F or so and I may have to purchase a separate de-humidifier also.

But right now with the space heater my table is playing reasonably fast but not as fast as those at the Academy which I found to be lightening fast and even then I believe they are slower than what the pros play on when on TV since the cloths are always new plus I understand there are not only table heaters but also the TV lighting spots keep the table surface quite warm.

I've also noticed the pros seem to get more kicks in the morning sessions and I wonder if that's because the TV lights have just been turned on and haven't had a chance to warm the table surface up.
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Terry...hope u keeping well....thanks for your advice...yes, the academy table are really fast compare to my own table...thats why like to change the cloth and pocket to make it better for practise...

Comment

A Mass Overhaul???

I recently read a post that Geoff Large had placed with regards to a downturn in trade and it got me thinking.
                          As far as i can remember, tables pocket sizes have always been a keen area for debate and comparison. I am of the opinion that those "generous" pockets in clubs up and down the country are partly responsible for the demise of this wonderful game over the years! I can only assume that the reason for these tables being modified was merely to suit fickle and most definately temporary customers, that have since left a large gaping hole in their path.
                          Now the thing is, in asia etc the average punter i would imagine gets their first introduction to Snooker on Predominantly Star Tables. Which would all be tournament spec right from the word go. So anyone who found the game to be of interest would be learning on "tight" pockets! Is it any wonder just how much of an influx of chinese players we are getting at the moment appearing on the Main Tour!!!
                          So moving on...Would it be possible for someone to start some kind of advertisement campaign that got as many of these tables in our country put right??? As the long term benefits are enormous!!! Anyone who "chose" to take up the sport from that moment on would be learning on regulation setups, which in turn would(if advertised well) bring in more customers!!!
                          Am i rambling here??? Or do i have a point???
                          Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                          https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Humidity is really important especially in very humid areas. I came back here after a brief holiday in UK. The table felt so sluggish. I put the AC on to cool the place down but, of course, it also draws out humidity. After a couple of days the difference was tremendous and the table was playing as it should.
                            王可

Comment

Are you rambling? I am unqualified to offer an opinion. Have you got a point? Frankly I believe you have. Pockets here on tables in clubs are set at pretty much competition size. I think it is good that people learn on that sort of size. Some of the Americans who are accustomed to USA pool tables tend to kvetch a bit but so what?

If you want pockets "ABAPDC" then get them cut that way on your own table but don't expect it at a local club. (For translation of ABAPDC send me a PM. This is a family forum).

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
                              I recently read a post that Geoff Large had placed with regards to a downturn in trade and it got me thinking.
                              As far as i can remember, tables pocket sizes have always been a keen area for debate and comparison. I am of the opinion that those "generous" pockets in clubs up and down the country are partly responsible for the demise of this wonderful game over the years! I can only assume that the reason for these tables being modified was merely to suit fickle and most definately temporary customers, that have since left a large gaping hole in their path.
                              Now the thing is, in asia etc the average punter i would imagine gets their first introduction to Snooker on Predominantly Star Tables. Which would all be tournament spec right from the word go. So anyone who found the game to be of interest would be learning on "tight" pockets! Is it any wonder just how much of an influx of chinese players we are getting at the moment appearing on the Main Tour!!!
                              So moving on...Would it be possible for someone to start some kind of advertisement campaign that got as many of these tables in our country put right??? As the long term benefits are enormous!!! Anyone who "chose" to take up the sport from that moment on would be learning on regulation setups, which in turn would(if advertised well) bring in more customers!!!
                              Am i rambling here??? Or do i have a point???
                              王可

Comment

Working...
                              X