Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supreme Winner Pool tables: What cloth do they use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just like to say. rang geoff large last week, for help an advice on cloth's. extremely helpful. ordered 4 strachan super pro cloth's. (napless) have done 2 winners and a prince. have had a knock on all the tables, an they play nice. tables that are used for league games need to get the full value for money out of their recovering costs, an initial indications suggest these do. the cloth's i took off were all hainsworth elite pro, so no doubt the players will indicate their preference over the coming months.
    once again, thanks geoff.

Comment

UK pool tables should be covered in a napped cloth , American pool tables in Napless cloth , as people have stated county Pool is played on winners and at this level they do not use Napless cloth, although I bet there are some about .

On Uk pool tables ie winner / super league / elite , the rubber is L shaped on american tables Sam bison and K steel for example it is Triangle shaped .
      When recovering L shaped rubber cushions with speed cloth , you will suffer from rubber pull down as the napless cloth requires a little extra pulling to get tight on the cushion you also get an uneven cushion if you look down it something that resembles a loch ness monsters back it's the only way I can think that describes it , the napped cloth is the best cloth to use on L shaped Rubber fitted cushions .
      I always advise this when someone is ordering a pool table recover , but it is upto the customer at the end of the day .

the napless cloth will last longer as it is more hard wearing , but it shows every impact mark and friction ball burn marks and looks awfull after only a few months use , where the napped cloth will not last as long , but because it is napped you can brush it down and iron it and it will look good again .

I do a club in Lincolnshire with 7 Winner tables , 3 in speed cloth and 4 in 6811 Tournament , the 4 napped always look better , the speed cloth plays faster but looks awfull with all those friction burn marks on it .

Another reason people choose the speed cloth is because , try ripping one , they are very tough and durable cloths , but in my opinion should only be used on American pool tables , the type that have very large bucket pockets and the 2.1/4 inch ball like the sam k steel and bison .

there are some colours to stay clear of in the napped cloth and also the napless , Bright red is one , it is prone to getting Dirty very quick , so if you want a red go for Burgundy it is much better .

A club in Lincolnshire that has 7 Winners and 4 Sam K steel , the red in the photo is the bright red , the customer prefers this over the Burgundy , but they do look after their tables , the winners get recovered every 6 months and the K steels once a year , they also have 6 full sized Snooker tables upstairs 3 Enbuild Dukes in oak and 3 Barton snooker. Avery nice well run club , they always look after me with Meals and drinks when I am working there. They also like to have a Baulk line on the American tables.
      Last edited by Geoff Large; 7 September 2012, 09:12 AM.
      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by maryfield View Post
        Supreme are covered in Strachan 777 unless 6811 is specified. Part of the problem with pool cloth is the method of fixing. Some fitters use spray adhesive. This dries out and the cloth can become detached from the slate causing the slackness mentioned in earlier post. I always use Thixotropic contact adhesive which is what the manufacturers use. Once this has stuck it doesnt budge. Never had a call back with loose cloth since using this. Takes a bit longer to cover but for the peace of mind its worth it.
        100% agree with this , I never use spray on glue , I often buy a special offer cloth pack which includes the can of spray on glue , I sell it on ebay to get rid of it ,as I think it is not fit for intended use. in 37 years of fitting I have never had a bed cloth come loose due to the glue not bonding the cloth to the slate.
        Some people also are in too much of a hurry to bond the surfaces together you have to give the surfaces glued a bit of time to go off then they bond together much better , wet glue will never bond to each surface and any stretched on cloth will soon come off or slip to become loose.
        Spray on glue in my opinion is for speed fitters who cannot be bothered to take their time and apply the glue by spreader or Brush.
        they are too concerned in getting as many recovers done in aday rather than doing them correctly by doing one table less a day.
        I have picked up many recovers due to the owners not going back to the fitter who covered it last time ,because the cloth had come off , also some are too lazy to even take the slate out of the table , and get overspray glue all over the ball rails the result is jammed balls , this will result in the players lifting the table up to free the ball and then smashing it down causing damage to the leg or feet .

Do not confuse the spray on glue method of the manufacturer of the table , this is done by a compressor and hand glue spray gun , the glue is much differant to the can spray type , Cannister glue in my opinion is ok for glueing Car carpet down and thats about all .

Geoff

Comment

a friend of mine has been experimenting with cloths for years in his pool hall and the best all round that he reccomends is hainsworth smart performance v longevity
          tha what!

Comment

Hainsworth have been claiming longevity for years in there mixed fibre cloths , in 37 years of Fitting Both makes of cloths I find no differance in wear for the standard industry most used cloths , thats Stracahan 6811 Tournament or gold as it used to be called , and Hainsworth smart , the only differance is that Hainsworth smart is not 100% it has 10% man made fibres in the make up of it , thus you have to have youre iron on a lower setting on hainsworth or you wil cause sticking scorch marks .

for ease of use Strachan is what I recommend, it is 100% pure new wool , out of all the snooker clubs and halls and normal clubs I only come across Hainsworth smart in about 3 premises , out of hundreds , so that tells me that the owners and the players prefer Strachan cloth , I would happily fit Hainsworth smart if the customer wants it , there is hardly any differance in price between the two . but most stay with Strachan cloth ,
            I used to listen to one club that I do the recovering in because of the high standard of players there ,and they always had the Hainsworth Smart and still do to this day , they will not change back to strachan , but I am afraid to say they are in the minority .

Comment

Originally Posted by AlexAlex View Post
              Hainsworth,
              good one in this regard.
              pool liners

Comment

Working...
              X