Napping block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
    If the cushions are numbered 1-->6, in a clockwise direction, starting with #1 as the baulk end cushion,

surely then cushions 1 and 4 will be the end cushions, with cushion 4 at the black end ?
    My Bad yes i will correct , thanks .

Geoff
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Hi guys. I use a damp cloth to run down the table after brushing then iron. But I never seem to get all the finger marks off the baize. Will a block remove the finger marks ?

Comment

Yes. You don't need to buy one- just get a lump of wood the size of a brick and wrap it with old bed cloth. Some people stick some carpet or similar on it instead.
        王可

Comment

Originally Posted by Nellysnooker View Post
          Hi guys. I use a damp cloth to run down the table after brushing then iron. But I never seem to get all the finger marks off the baize. Will a block remove the finger marks ?
          If you really want to make it like glass, brush it, block it, mist it, then iron it twice. This needs to be done on a 6811T, a Hainsworth less so. Don't forget the half moon brush to get all the gubbins from under the top cushion.

The ideal block I have found through experimentation is about 18 inches long, made of a block of wood, and used double handed from baulk to top end. This means you just take four swipes of the table. Then stand at the top end and lean as far in to the table as possible, draw the block back to the rail another four times; it's the main playing area. The cloth on the block should be the same as the table cloth itself if possible.
          Last edited by Big Splash!; 22 September 2016, 05:17 PM.

Comment

My block is somewhat shorter than that. It works well.

The point is, take care of your cloth and it will play better and last longer than if you don't.
            王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
              My block is somewhat shorter than that. It works well.

The point is, take care of your cloth and it will play better and last longer than if you don't.
              I made another one for a club and that is a foot wide, to 6 swipes of the table. One handed. I like both, depends how I feel. But yeah, regular brushing and blocking is key. I'm still the only one who does it regular and properly, so I ended up making three blocks for three clubs for myself!

Comment

The ideal stuff to use is balustrade. That is what I used when I was in China- had a couple of pieces so 2 of us could share the job and get it done more quickly.

I thought it was bannister rail but was corrected. I have been looking for an image but can't find what I want. The top is rounded, the base is flat and it is slightly waisted. A hardwood would be ideal as that is slightly heavier than pine.
                王可

Comment

[ATTACH]18495[/ATTACH
                  I made these up from that Flotel carpet tile stuff that was mentioned in another thread/post. It does a not bad job but I found you had to press down really hard to get the block to run smoothly over the Beize.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Bigmeek; 23 September 2016, 09:06 AM.

Comment

The ideal stuff to use is balustrade. That is what I used when I was in China- had a couple of pieces so 2 of us could share the job and get it done more quickly.

I thought it was bannister rail but was corrected. I have been looking for an image but can't find what I want. The top is rounded, the base is flat and it is slightly waisted. A hardwood would be ideal as that is slightly heavier than pine.
                    think it is called "mopstick" handrail

or the Victorian but that has a rebate that will need attention before being of use as a napping block.
                    Last edited by DeanH; 23 September 2016, 09:32 AM.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I think that is thinner than I mean. The stuff to use has a base about 8cm wide. Maybe about that in thickness too. Top is domed slightly to slip into the palm and the sides are cut away so that the user's fingers fit in perfectly.
                      王可

Comment

I think that is thinner than I mean. The stuff to use has a base about 8cm wide. Maybe about that in thickness too. Top is domed slightly to slip into the palm and the sides are cut away so that the user's fingers fit in perfectly.
                        is this more like it?
                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oak-Handra...-/351777719818
                        cant find one at 80mm wide though
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That is exactly what I mean. I bet as lengths are shortened to fit a job, yards of that stuff gets binned!
                          王可

Comment

That is exactly what I mean. I bet as lengths are shortened to fit a job, yards of that stuff gets binned!
                            I saw something very similar just the other day. It was in a "skip" outside a house that was getting renovated.

Comment

I don't know how much this will show. I have the first part of the table untouched, next strip is brushed vigorously, next is brushed and blocked. Then the rest, of course, is also ironed. I would recommend anybody interested in the subject to do this. as it really shows the difference.

王可

Comment

The image is upright on my computer! If you are bothered, invert it. Anyway you get the idea.
                                王可

Comment

Working...
                                X