Putting a snooker table on the 2nd floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a snooker table on the 2nd floor

First off, I live in the USA, so I'm sure building codes differ, but has anyone put a snooker table on their second floor, or would you anticipate any issues doing so? I'm worried about the weight that's pressing down on each leg causing bending in the floor joists over time.

upper level snooker tables have been done, seen the photos
    and I hope table-fitter-pa excellence Geoff Large will come on this thread with details for you, but in general a snooker table weights in the 2 ton range so your floor construction and supports must cater for AT LEAST this, I say that at least to ensure you have no movement at all, in the future as well as when you walk round the table
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I found this:-

Five sectional slates = 830 kilograms
      Six steel block cushions = 80 kilograms
      Six wooden cushions = 61 kilograms
      External frame = 65 kilograms
      Internal frame = 22 kilograms
      Four corner legs = 41 kilograms
      Four middle legs = 38 kilograms
      Cloth and pocket solution = 20 kilograms

Total weight of 12 foot x 6 foot Snooker Tables = 1157 kilograms

http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/table_wei...le_weights.htm

Which is around 1.13 UK tons.

Comment

cheers for that info

Comment

a one ton table (though im sure the star table is lighter) would not be a problem if you lived in a cemented floor structured building, and i think it all comes down not just if the floor can handle it, but can the house or building cope with that weight in the long run

Comment

Originally Posted by fractivsammy View Post
            First off, I live in the USA, so I'm sure building codes differ, but has anyone put a snooker table on their second floor, or would you anticipate any issues doing so? I'm worried about the weight that's pressing down on each leg causing bending in the floor joists over time.
            There is another issue you need to think about and that is if you live in a part of the States which gets cold winters. The ground will shift in the spring when the ground thaws and this will cause the second story to move a bit unless the house is very well constructed (better than most). This means your table will need leveling every fall and spring.

Otherwise since the weight is distributed over 8 legs (or 6 if you buy a Brunswick) you're not talking a lot of weight but if you are a little worried you could lay down a flat steel panel which would distribute the weight over the entire surface of the steel.

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              but in general a snooker table weights in the 2 ton range
              you just had another jimmy's cue is 59"/9mm moment dean

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                you just had another jimmy's cue is 59"/9mm moment dean
                I recall Geoff Large saying that a snooker table is in the region of 2 ton.
                Be good if GL comes on with his experience of 2nd floor lcoation

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  I recall Geoff Large saying that a snooker table is in the region of 2 ton.
                  Be good if GL comes on with his experience of 2nd floor lcoation
                  sounds like a window job

Comment

I live in California where they make everything out of wood. So you can probably understand my concern.

The steel panel idea is a good one, would that actually work?? How thick would the steel have to be and how much would it weight by itself?

Comment

Originally Posted by fractivsammy View Post
                      I live in California where they make everything out of wood. So you can probably understand my concern.

The steel panel idea is a good one, would that actually work?? How thick would the steel have to be and how much would it weight by itself?
                      Wouldn't know the weight but I would think 1/4" plate would do it and you could probably use 2 plates at about 4ft x 5ft because the legs are inside the outer dimensions of the table. Each plate would take 4 legs at say 2,000lbs (1/2 the table weight) spread out over a 20sqft area so only 100lbs per square foot of load which is about what a 200lb person would load (unless spike heels).

I think most second stories can take that load easily no matter what the building codes. I've seen a 12ft table on the second story of a 100yr old house in Nova Scotia and the only problem was the table always needed to be leveled as the old house would shift a lot.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        Wouldn't know the weight but I would think 1/4" plate would do it and you could probably use 2 plates at about 4ft x 5ft ...
                        Gonna need lots of people to lift those plates as they weigh about 88 kg each (or 193 lb)
                        Last edited by jrc750; 29 May 2014, 09:02 PM. Reason: adjusted

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          Gonna need lots of people to lift those plates as they weigh about 88 kg each (or 193 lb)
                          I already have that issue with the table slates, which are a lot heavier! Somehow have to get those things up a flight of narrowish stairs. Should be fun...

Comment

All up weight of a table is approx 1250 kgs. More if its a steel block cushioned table. A Star table will weigh more as will an antique table as they have 2 inch slate as opposed to 1 3/4 inch. The steel plate would offer peace of mind but in practice will be overkill. The load is spread over 72 square feet plus the surrounding area around the table. I have a chart worked out by a engineer somewhere. If I fin it I shall gladly add further information.

Comment

That chart would be very helpful! If you could dig it up it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully some other people thinking about the same thing could get some use out of it too.

However, isn't the load really spread over the 8 legs with all the pressure going to the feet of the legs? The point of the steel plate would be to distribute it more evenly. It's those pressure points that I'm worried about.

Comment

Working...
                              X