Putting a snooker table on the 2nd floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by fractivsammy View Post
    So I talked to the engineer, he said I could put it on the 2nd floor but that the weight could cause a bounce in the floor. To me that's a big NO, I don't want to have to be leveling the table all the time or feel unsafe walking around.

I'm now considering other options, like trying to get 1 inch thick slates instead of the 1.75 inches I have now. I have no idea how to get a hold of these though, or how seriously it would degrade the quality of the playing surface (hopefully not much!), or if it would even be possible to retrofit my current table with them. Buying a whole new table is not out of the realm of possibility, but I'd like to keep costs low if at all possible.

I'm determined to make this work!!
    Just a question what is on the main floor under where you want to put the table?
    " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
    " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
    http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
      Just a question what is on the main floor under where you want to put the table?
      Garage is underneath the main floor.

Comment

2 x steel beams underneath the legs if poss

Comment

So if I understand you the garage is below the where you want to put the table? If so then there is bound to be some solutions.

Comment

So if I understand you the garage is below the where you want to put the table? If so then there is bound to be some solutions.

Comment

Yes, the garage is directly below where I want the table. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Comment

Yes, the garage is directly below where I want the table. Sorry I wasn't clear.
                As Sealer says you should be able to get a couple steel beams in. Depending on the width of your garage will depend on the size if the beam. I am not sure how you order them over there and your specs but here we can span 19'2" with a W8x21 carrying one floor and you can go 22' with a W10x22. I would think thus could be any easy solution to your problem.

Comment

I know that buildings here have to be built to shift around during earthquakes, so putting a steel beam in might be against building codes. I will definitely try and find out though.

Comment

Your 1.2tonne table should shift niceley during earthquake on a second floor on a wooden floor:-)
                    Two parallel beams do not stiffen the structure.
                    You have done the right thing to go to the structural engineer.

Do it once and do it properly.

I know that buildings here have to be built to shift around during earthquakes, so putting a steel beam in might be against building codes. I will definitely try and find out though.

Comment

My table is also on the 2nd floor (full wood construction). Table is not moving a bit. It's there now for 6 years and still no need to relevel it..

Comment

Putting a couple of beams in would be simple enough. I remember putting a couple in a basement under a Hobbs 3.5 demountable strongroom which would weigh as much as several tables and on a smaller base. We put them in and cemented some glass pieces in so that if anything shifted the glass would crack. Nothing did move.
                        王可

Comment

20140920_232818(1).jpg

I too am in the Colonies and I have a 1933 Brunswick Balke-Collender on the Main floor of my 'office' which is up 12 stairs.
                          The 3 pieces of slate @ 1/1/2" thick made it a fun project but in the end it sits fine.
                          I have noticed no sagging, or floor issues and check the table for level quite regularly (Was a good excuse to but a proper machinists level.)
                          On the lower level, directly below it, I have a recording studio and the beams are 16" on center, so all in all, a good install location.

Cheers Lads
                          Cheers from the Colonies

Comment

Looks good Roaster, is it just the light or is that a very pale cloth?
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Looks like a blue cloth with the cushions older than the bed.

Also, it looks like in the US they spot the baulk colours differently than the rest of the world

Terry
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                                Looks like a blue cloth with the cushions older than the bed.

Also, it looks like in the US they spot the baulk colours differently than the rest of the world

Terry
                                Ha! Good spot hawk eye.
                                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                                X