Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Come on Dean you can't tease us with half a story
    frozen pizzas, misreading seconds for minutes and melting the insides of the microwave
    many years ago
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Redphex View Post
      I'm already looking out to get a few old microwave ovens for further tests ... can't sacrifice my actual kitchen utilities.

stay tuned
      don't forget to video it
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

surely the way a microwave works is buy agitating the molecules in the structure itself so this can't be a good idea for the longevity of the balls?
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I think it's just water molecules that vibrate ADR .and that causes the heat, that's the way I have always thought they worked.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I think it's just water molecules that vibrate ADR .and that causes the heat, that's the way I have always thought they worked.
            well i have seen what it can do to food so no way it is touching my balls!
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

well, something within the grid of the resin must be dielectric, otherwise there would not have been any heating at all.

I'm not a chemist or physicist, but I would not interpret spinning poles within molecules as impact on the structure. On a smaller scale, also electrons are "moving" around the atom core ...

But now after all theory, I will give it a real world long term test run.

(and don't talk to me about longevity of Aramith billiards balls ... they lose weight faster than you'd expect anyway).

Comment

I reckon we should just abandon any pretence of seriousness in this topic now and go flat out for the smutty innuendos

Comment

... and the results are in from the playing test.

The ATCs actually play worse as temperature increases. When they're "hot" (50°C+), playability (energy transfer, liveliness) gets really bad and the impact sound will make you sick.

They played best when they were back at room temperature (in my case 21°C).

So what will be the effect when they're cooled down? We will find out over the weekend

Comment

Originally Posted by Redphex View Post
                    ... and the results are in from the playing test.

The ATCs actually play worse as temperature increases. When they're "hot" (50°C+), playability (energy transfer, liveliness) gets really bad and the impact sound will make you sick.

They played best when they were back at room temperature (in my case 21°C).

So what will be the effect when they're cooled down? We will find out over the weekend

Ok now put a set in the freezer overnight :-)

Comment

Great post, I think Jimmy might get a good read, I made a ball cleaner from a 5 gallon pail and a 10 inch electric car waxer, it works great, if snooker balls left in for too long they get hot from friction. Cheers
                      I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Out of the fridge, condensation is the only problem. Within seconds, the surface is soaking wet - and they play as expected.

So, where does that leave us?

I'd conclude: If, for example during winter, you have problems with cold equipment and surface condensation, you CAN use a microwave oven to warm up your Snooker balls. But do so on the lowest power setting, only for a short time, in order to get them to about 20°C. Any hotter is not beneficial.
                        And if you play in a properly heated environment, don't bother.

Comment

What's your take on humid conditions, Redphex, our club gets very warm and sticky in the summer, have you got any experiments lined up for that lol.

Comment

What's your take on humid conditions, Redphex, our club gets very warm and sticky in the summer, have you got any experiments lined up for that lol.
                            Awful conditions, we have the same problem at our local, he leaves the outside door open and it make's the humidity worse, the tables are unplayable atm. they are that bad i'm having a sebbatical

Comment

Warm and humid is more a problem for the table cloth - and of course the sticky cues.
                              Nothing to do except installing an A/C

Comment

Definitely air conditioning is the way to go.

Sticky both here, and at my place in Bulgaria, in summer. AC is a requirement. I am pleased to say I have AC in both snooker rooms.
                                王可

Comment

Working...
                                X