My New BCE Westbury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    "atheist 3/4" is that different from a "Christian 3/4"?

what do you mean you have not played on it yet ?! I would have had the balls on the table before the fitters had started packing their tools
    +10,,,

I am moving to canada to visit Les every day, lol. !!!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      Finish is superb on the woodwork the lads done a great job, I bet getting those slates down the stairs was hard going. The end result has been worth it though Les you have put the work in and it has paid off big time , first class pal.
      I have to say one thing though, you put the rest hooks on before the fitters had done their job, naughty boy lol.
      Thanks for all the photos, just what I was after, great job.
      LOL Yes I know but not till he had the slate on and levelled. I told him I was leaving them off because Geoff Large told me to but after he had the slate levelled he said I was good to go. Tonight I am going down to try it out tonight. I love looking back at the photos.
      " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
      " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
      http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
        Time to retire -
        Not sure what that means? Retire my buying and changing tables and stick with this one or retire from work and just play Snooker on my new table.

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        "atheist 3/4" is that different from a "Christian 3/4"?
        LOL Yea nice spelling. I corrected it just for you...

what do you mean you have not played on it yet ?! I would have had the balls on the table before the fitters had started packing their tools
        It was a busy night with blizzard like conditions I had to drive my wife an hour from home then come back then go back to puck her up so it was a late night.

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
        Very nice table, remember to record your christening shot
        Never thought about doing that.
        Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
        +10,,,

I am moving to canada to visit Les every day, lol. !!!!
        You are welcome anytime, in fact all you guys are welcome if you ever make it to our part of the country.

Comment

• Just superb Les, absolutely superb!

Looks fantastic. Hope you enjoy it mate. Plenty more 50+ breaks to come on that beauty!
          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
            Just superb Les, absolutely superb!

Looks fantastic. Hope you enjoy it mate. Plenty more 50+ breaks to come on that beauty!
            Thanks, I actually hit some balls around tonight. Table plays as great as it looks. I have attached a few photos I took tonight with my good camera. They really show what the table looks like standing in the room. All laid out in white chalk pencil, still looking for white washable marker. I have oil based ones but would like to stay with washable. I promise I won't post anymore photos but then again I promised my wife I would not sell my last table.

Comment

• You also have installed a heater under the table,, I thought I saw one !!! ( tell me if I'm wrong !!!! ) . very nice indeed !!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                You also have installed a heater under the table,, I thought I saw one !!! ( tell me if I'm wrong !!!! ) . very nice indeed !!!
                Yes I did. There is 4 Damp Chasers equally spaced under the table which are all wired back into a central location. You will also notice a digital thermostat which I installed at the black end which has an external probe on it which I incased in spray foam and attached to Center slate.

Comment

• Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                  Yes I did. There is 4 Damp Chasers equally spaced under the table which are all wired back into a central location. You will also notice a digital thermostat which I installed at the black end which has an external probe on it which I incased in spray foam and attached to Center slate.
                  great !!! the ball rolls a lot better if the table stays always at a certain temp !!! if you later going to the club to play, you really have get used to these tables , they re much slower compared to your own table !!! Anyway , great job !! Enjoy ur game !!!

Comment

• very nice table les, good finish and nice slates. but am i seeing things or did the fitters used staples for bed cloth?

Comment

• Originally Posted by drjef28 View Post
                      very nice table les, good finish and nice slates. but am i seeing things or did the fitters used staples for bed cloth?
                      On pic 9 I thought the same, Les they haven't used staples have they?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                        On pic 9 I thought the same, Les they haven't used staples have they?
                        after checking the table pictures again. i'm pretty sure they did, and they used spray on glue for cushions

good luck with re-streching Les.

Comment

• I mean retire from work to play snooker forever of course Les

If I had a room like this - no-one would ever see me again - unless they came around to mine. Happy days Les - hope you enjoy it and am sure you will have many good nights in your room. If I ever ring your doorbell - please let me in.

Comment

• Originally Posted by drjef28 View Post
                            very nice table les, good finish and nice slates. but am i seeing things or did the fitters used staples for bed cloth?
                            Yes they did. That is normal up here.

Comment

• solid effort, enjoy the fruits of your labour!

Comment

• Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                                Yes they did. That is normal up here.
                                In Canada and the USA table fitters use the method they have been trained by previous table fitters .

In a country where most tables are modelled on Brunswick American pool tables and not this pro steel block BCE Westbury modern snooker table , they use the method of fixing cloth the same way as they would on an American pool table , unaware that a napped cloth will require re-stretching and American pool cloth will not .
                                so 5/8th tacks in the bed cloth fixing linings with around 1/8th of the head showing for ease of removing by flipping out with flat blade screwdriver is not used , I can remove one of my fitted bed cloths in under 5 minutes , it would take a considerable amount of time to take a stapled bed cloth off digging out those driven in staples which are normally 8 to 10 mm long .
                                In Canada , if some UK trained fitters moved over there say 40 to 50 years ago , then by now most Billiard table installs would have tacked cloth on .
                                as those fitters would have passed on their skills of fitting Billiard tables to the Canadian born apprentices .

the one thing I cannot get round though is why glue the cloth on those steel cushions , when there is a cushion slip channel for a wood slip to tap in to secure the cloth

even in the UK we have fitters who only use the channel up to the wood end blocks then staple the cloth to the top of the end blocks , this is also wrong as the channel is designed for the cloth to be retained by a slip of wood on the entire length of the cushion

and I have also come across some tables that have had glued on cloth on the back of those steels as seen from the photo's of the steel blocks on this table .

But at the end of the day on this table the cloth is secured to the top rear of the cushion by contact adhesive and it is then stapled to the lower block , once the cushion frieze is bolted in place no one is the wiser and the same can be said for the bed cloth being stapled on
                                in the UK we would frown upon this type of fitting , but in Canada it is the norm .

It is just the way they have been trained to do the work .

I am sure some of the ways our fitters over here including myself , go about recovering an American pool table , the fitters of North America would point out that is not the way .

We are formerly trained on billiard table fitting , north American fitters are formerly trained on American Brunswick type Pool table fitting and stapling the bed cloth on is the norm over there .

just one fault I can see Les , in the photo the end of the slide in cushion panel on number 3 cushion is not stained and polished , a simple fix for you . other wise looking all good .
                                Last edited by Geoff Large; 21 November 2014, 01:05 AM.
                                [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Working...
                                X