Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally finished

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Finally finished

    My mate and I purchased an enbild full size table several months back and today we played our first game, absolute awesome, we have took our time building the table and preparing the room as it needed a lot of work. We bought a new hainsworth precision cloth and purchased 1G balls.
    Thanks to the info found on this forum we have made a great choice, cheers guys.

    The table it's self is an early 1980's enbild with floating slate with eight nicely turned legs. We took our time refurbishing the whole table from the pocket leather, net bags and cleaned up all the brass work.
    We fitted the new cloth ( the most nerve racking thing I have ever done, expensive piece of kit lol ) but we left the cushions for a later date, thought it best to build it up and see how it plays incase pockets needed adjusting.

    The table runs fantastic, and the cushions also play so good I would say we have done well. There is one thing I would like to share incase anyone else builds there own table, don't believe everything you read or see online. Tell you why !!!

    We downloaded two pictures of where the spots and baulk line go, one picture gave all measurements from the edge of the slate, while the other picture told you the positions by measuring from cushion to cushion and to work out the fractions for spot and line position. But beware, the picture showing us the measurements from the edge of the slate said pink spot was 36 in from edge of the slate. I said to my mate I think that is wrong because when we plumbed a string from centre of corner pocket to centre of the drop at the middle pocket it became apparent if we had followed the advice of the 36 in from the edge of the slate it would have been wrong. This would make a straight pink from in the jaws of a black pocket hit the near cushion of the blue pocket. We went with plumbing a string to mark the pink spot.

    One other issue you guys could maybe help me with. We bought a white pencil to mark the spots and baulk line with. This was bought from a snooker web site but when the table is brushed this just wipes straight off with the brush. What do you guys mark your tables with?

    I will post some pictures off our project when I get time, still a bit of clearing up to be done in the room.

    Cheers Ricky
    Last edited by Ricky2112; 27th December 2014, 06:46 PM.

  • #2
    Looking forward to seeing the pics.

    I use a standard pencil. This leaves a mark that can be removed if need be, and really, all you need is to be able to spot balls. Its not necessary to see them from across the room.
    Congrats on the table.

    Comment


    • #3
      a few pics

      photo 6.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 4.JPG

      thanks, i will try an ordinary pencil, it looks great in white.

      Comment


      • #4
        Ricky:

        As I said in my other post, check the official rules for the location of all the spots. I know the black is 12-3/4" from the face of the top cushion. I think the pink is 30" from the face of the top cushion but memory might be wrong there as I haven't checked it in awhile.

        The official rules are on either the WPBSA or IBSF website.

        Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

        Comment


        • #5
          if you string it you cant be wrong. you dont want the pink spot out even by ten mm. i dont think there is an exact measurement, you have to mark it from the diagonals from pocket drop centres. if you you use a measurement and its correct you are lucky.

          cheers Ricky

          Comment


          • #6
            Pink is midway point between face of top cushion and blue spot.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by maryfield View Post
              Pink is midway point between face of top cushion and blue spot.
              Ye that sounds right, would be identical to the way I done it with the string.

              cheers Ricky

              Comment


              • #8
                with so many tables having different overhang of rubber block , many newer modern tables have a 1.7/8th overhang to nose of rubber , older tables are normally 2 inch , but you can get them at 2.1/8th overhang too !

                it is along time since I read the printed rules on the walls of snooker rooms , but if you have a set then have a read of the measurements of tables you will be surprised at the information given as there is no set actual size they stick to , they give a few measurements that all come into the governing rules as acceptable . even down to the overhang of the cushion which can fall between the measurements given above, same goes for the 6ft and 6ft 1.5 inch wide slate.

                a string line down the table is the professional way of marking out and has been done like this for years so nothing new .

                the pink is positioned with another diagonal string line from centre of middle pocket to centre of spot end corner pocket , where the two string lines cross is where the pink is placed

                there are also different slate sizes , where some are 6ft wide by 12 ft long , most are 6ft 1.5 inch wide , and to throw a spanner in the works there are some Thurston metric tables that from the eye you would swear are full sized 12ft tables ,

                if you are brave enough use the tippex fine marker pens http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tippex-Sha...item45f9f9b500

                , but you have to iron them well to get the white to come flat with cloth surface , or use what most use a soft 2b black pencil exam grade http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3511814828...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT



                Geoff
                [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ricky2112 View Post
                  [ATTACH]17384[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17385[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17386[/ATTACH]

                  thanks, i will try an ordinary pencil, it looks great in white.
                  Looks great cannot wait to see more photos. I use a white pencil also and have the same problem. When it freshly done it looks so sharp. Looking for a fine white washable marker but very tough to find. I have permanent white markers but those marks are not coming off so if you get the cloth re stretched you will have marks where you don't want them.
                  " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                  " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                  http://www.ontariosnooker.club

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lesedwards View Post
                    Looks great cannot wait to see more photos. I use a white pencil also and have the same problem. When it freshly done it looks so sharp. Looking for a fine white washable marker but very tough to find. I have permanent white markers but those marks are not coming off so if you get the cloth re stretched you will have marks where you don't want them.
                    when do cloths need to be changed and when do a cloth need a re-stretch, i know the strachan cloths need stretching sooner then the Hainsworth but wouldn't it be better to change the cloth in one hit rather then paying for a re stretch

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Leo View Post
                      when do cloths need to be changed and when do a cloth need a re-stretch, i know the strachan cloths need stretching sooner then the Hainsworth but wouldn't it be better to change the cloth in one hit rather then paying for a re stretch
                      Err Leo, not all people are millionaires !! think about it mate, re stretch costs probably a 1/4 (or less) than the price of changing it

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jrc750 View Post
                        Err Leo, not all people are millionaires !! think about it mate, re stretch costs probably a 1/4 (or less) than the price of changing it
                        Good point, I'm not sure what a re-stretch costs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Leo View Post
                          Good point, I'm not sure what a re-stretch costs
                          I am not sure either but I think with my heaters going all the time it helps keep the cloth tight and with me brushing and blocking it after every use and ironing twice a week it will always look perfect. Contemplating using the white paint marker so it always looks great and will only have to re mark about every six months.
                          " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                          " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                          http://www.ontariosnooker.club

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Geoff Large View Post
                            with so many tables having different overhang of rubber block , many newer modern tables have a 1.7/8th overhang to nose of rubber , older tables are normally 2 inch , but you can get them at 2.1/8th overhang too !

                            it is along time since I read the printed rules on the walls of snooker rooms , but if you have a set then have a read of the measurements of tables you will be surprised at the information given as there is no set actual size they stick to , they give a few measurements that all come into the governing rules as acceptable . even down to the overhang of the cushion which can fall between the measurements given above, same goes for the 6ft and 6ft 1.5 inch wide slate.

                            a string line down the table is the professional way of marking out and has been done like this for years so nothing new .

                            the pink is positioned with another diagonal string line from centre of middle pocket to centre of spot end corner pocket , where the two string lines cross is where the pink is placed

                            there are also different slate sizes , where some are 6ft wide by 12 ft long , most are 6ft 1.5 inch wide , and to throw a spanner in the works there are some Thurston metric tables that from the eye you would swear are full sized 12ft tables ,

                            if you are brave enough use the tippex fine marker pens http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tippex-Sha...item45f9f9b500

                            , but you have to iron them well to get the white to come flat with cloth surface , or use what most use a soft 2b black pencil exam grade http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3511814828...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT



                            Geoff
                            Cheers Geoff , that's exactly how we did our table, string down the middle and across the diagonals for the pink. Our table is 12 by 6ft 1,1/2 in wide. If we had followed the picture we found showing pink spot 36in from slate it would have been well out.

                            Cheers Geoff , thought you would be the one to confirm the correct way.

                            Cheers Ricky

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by lesedwards View Post
                              I am not sure either but I think with my heaters going all the time it helps keep the cloth tight and with me brushing and blocking it after every use and ironing twice a week it will always look perfect. Contemplating using the white paint marker so it always looks great and will only have to re mark about every six months.
                              We are going to have to heat our room and table some how because our table is in a factory unit and it's cold, first time I have played snooker with a tammy on lol.
                              I was surprised how well our table played with the balls being so cold, just shows the quality set up with cloth and 1G balls I suppose.

                              Any tips on what under table heaters to buy?

                              off for a game, cheers Ricky

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X