Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table maintenance for a complete newbie

Guys.

I've managed to get a proper table iron for the club. I've got a couple of table brushes.

As I've never done this before and I'm the only one in the club prepared to put the effort in. What's the best way to go about it?

Do I brush from the balk line down and then iron. And how hot should the iron be?

Table maintenance for a complete newbie

there's a whole thread on table maintenance in the 'tables' section. plenty of good stuff in there. as for iron temp think it depends on the cloth. hainsworth smart eg has some nylon in the wool mix for wear properties so can be ironed hotter but someone with more nous than me can p
    ut you straight. .....paging geoff large! !!

Comment

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
      there's a whole thread on table maintenance in the 'tables' section. plenty of good stuff in there. as for iron temp think it depends on the cloth. hainsworth smart eg has some nylon in the wool mix for wear properties so can be ironed hotter but someone with more nous than me can p
      ut you straight. .....paging geoff large! !!
      Thanks thommo335.

Comment

well in getting one
        I recall you saying the table has never been looked after so hopefully your work will really show dividends
        all strokes are from the baulk end to the black end.
        in parallel lines to the long sides of the table
        Iron - I tend to have mine on about 4.5. put it onto heat before you start brushing. Stand the iron upright on its base for the heating so the heat plate is upright.

Brushing
        I start by brushing the undercut of the cushions by holding the brush upright so the long bristles of one end poke under and with short strokes work your way along the cushions. The baulk cushion you brush to the left (yellow to green). the long rails are both from baulk to black direction. The black is also to the left as you stand at that end (green side to yellow).

If the table is dusty then I slowly work my way down the table with short strokes, pushing the dust forward. Work the half you are on and move slowly up the table.
        I tend to do a slight overlap of the brush length for each stroke.
        When you get the the black rail, go back to the baulk and do continuous long strokes from the baulk to black rail, doing lengths from the cushion out to the middle.
        now do the othe half of the table in the same manner.
        you can repeat as you see fit.
        If the table has not been looked after it may take several goes to get all the cloth fibres lying the same direction.
        You don't have to push the brush down too much but enough to get the brush into the cloth.

Ironing
        The iron thermostat light should be indicate it is ready.
        Starting on one side at the baulk end move the iron up the table in a continuous stroke, in a steady walking pace. keeping in parallel lines work your way out to the middle and do an overlap of the middle. you don't need to push down on the iron its own weight will do.
        Go to the other side and work out wards again and overlap again.
        As you start a stroke you slightly angle the iron on the bed, this stops the short edge of the iron doesn't leave a mark. I also do a slight overlap of the iron strokes.
        Of course don't leave the iron on the cloth stationary
        Now when you do the iron strokes, you don't place the iron under the rubbers because the balls don't touch that part and also too much heat is not good from the rubbers.
        Once should be enough usually.

now stand the iron upright on its base to cool.

Now with a cloth wipe to rail and cushion tops in the same direction you did the undercut brushing.

regular treatment should do wonders
        Some mention vacuum (low power) to start but I am of the school where that will lift the filler in the slate joints

lets us know how it goes
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That is top stuff DeanH. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Comment

also if the iron is second hand make sure the heat plate is clean before using

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              also if the iron is second hand make sure the heat plate is clean before using
              I have cleaned it earlier

Comment

Try get a napping block and block inbetween brushing and ironing. This will lay the fibres flat and all in same direction on the cloth before you iron. Same again, block from baulk to black spot. Since I started looking after my clubs tables I've made my first century, much nicer to play on now.

Comment

I think Thurston's sell napping blocks but if you have any cloth left over you can make on of the brushes into one. Just wrap the handle with it
                  never been sure if the napping block should be used in one orientation, ie so the nap is the same direction as the table?

Comment

cyber - also look after the brushes by dedusting them after use so they don't add more dust than they take off

if they tables are very dusty allow any dust cloud to settle before you brush again and it is best (if you hav time) don't iron until you don't see the cloud

Comment

cyber - also look after the brushes by dedusting them after use so they don't add more dust than they take off

if they tables are very dusty allow any dust cloud to settle before you brush again and it is best (if you hav time) don't iron until you don't see the cloud
                      Will do. Thanks for the advise.

Comment

do you have a cover for the table?
                        if not Peradon (buy through Thurston again) do a "heavy duty" cover which has elesticated covers, works very well and actually isn't heavy and bulky like the old ones

Comment

do you have a cover for the table?
                          if not Peradon (buy through Thurston again) do a "heavy duty" cover which has elesticated covers, works very well and actually isn't heavy and bulky like the old ones
                          We've got some cheapish plastic tarpaulins. They seem to do the job.

Comment

anything is better than nothing as long as they are used

Comment

when you iron a second time, start at the opposite corner to the first time - so the side being ironed when the iron is hottest is alternated. Angle the iron slightly travelling down the table to avoid tramlining.
                              Napping blocks tend to take the finger marks out nicely after brushing too. And the Peradon covers with the elasticated corners are a doddle to put on/take off single handed - keeps the dust off your nicely brushed, blocked and ironed table!

Comment

Working...
                              X