• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Table maintenance for a complete newbie

different starting side - good tip there Thommo
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
      when you iron a second time, start at the opposite corner to the first time - so the side being ironed when the iron is hottest is alternated. Angle the iron slightly travelling down the table to avoid tram lining.
      Napping blocks tend to take the finger marks out nicely after brushing too. And the Peradon covers with the elasticated corners are a doddle to put on/take off single handed - keeps the dust off your nicely brushed, blocked and ironed table!

Good stuff. Thanks thommo335.

Comment

I find the best way to get under the cushions is not to use the table brush. Use a cheap paintbrush. You can, undoubtedly, do it with the table brush but a paintbrush is easier and gets more dirt out.

On my tables I don't bother with a napping block. I just have a piece of wood about the size of a brick and wrap a bit of cloth around that. It works perfectly.

Test the iron every time on a bit of scrap cloth. I always do in case there is a problem with the thermostat. They can have problems!

Main thing is get into a routine and do it! Any table is better for good routine maintenance- just the same as everything else in the world- but it is surprising how many people neglect this simple procedure. I am a poor man and have to get maximum life out of everything I own.

BTW I think part nylon cloths need to be ironed cooler, not hotter, but could be wrong.
        王可

Comment

Well I had a go with the limited equipment at my disposal.

I brushed the table from the balk end down. The 2nd table had tons of dust. I'm going to bring a vacuum cleaner next time.
          The table iron worked very well and made a huge difference to the speed of the table.

I'm going to be doing this once a week. I hope the table will get a lot better once it's been hoovered, brushed and ironed a few times.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
            Well I had a go with the limited equipment at my disposal.

I brushed the table from the balk end down. The 2nd table had tons of dust. I'm going to bring a vacuum cleaner next time.
            The table iron worked very well and made a huge difference to the speed of the table.

I'm going to be doing this once a week. I hope the table will get a lot better once it's been hoovered, brushed and ironed a few times.
            I would urge you in the strongest possible terms not to vacuum the table.
            王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
              I would urge you in the strongest possible terms not to vacuum the table.
              Why is that Philip?

Comment

Why is that Philip?
                Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                Some mention vacuum (low power) to start but I am of the school where that will lift the filler in the slate joints

I did mention this on my first post, that others like to use a vacuum, but I don't; unless you mean to use it to capture the dust in the air and not on the cloth itself

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

I did mention this on my first post, that others like to use a vacuum, but I don't; [/b]unless you mean to use it to capture the dust in the air and not on the cloth itself [/b]
                  I'm going to try to figure out how to do that.

What if I vacuum the table really gently.

Comment

some say ok as long as you don't go over the joints, and with a low power suction.
                    Me, I just don't use them - old school perhaps

Comment

If you've got a proper dowsing iron you'll need that on 7

Comment

I'm going to try to figure out how to do that.

What if I vacuum the table really gently.
                        The joints are filled with a plaster type filler. Suck that out and you have lumps under the cloth and you need to take it off and clean it all up.
                        王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                          The joints are filled with a plaster type filler. Suck that out and you have lumps under the cloth and you need to take it off and clean it all up.
                          There's very little chance that happening Phillip with a low suction vacuum.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                            If you've got a proper dowsing iron you'll need that on 7
                            I use setting no8 on my no10 cloth. Its fine..
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                              There's very little chance that happening Phillip with a low suction vacuum.
                              I agree. A cheap handheld one from argos or similar is perfect and no chance of moving any plaster (you'll be amazed how much crap comes off).
                              Also remember to vac the nets and wipe the pocket rails down or your balls will soon be covered in green bits from brushing - ours never get done and furry cue balls are very off-putting!.. Pet hate of mine.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Old cue collector --
                              Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                              (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                                I agree. A cheap handheld one from argos or similar is perfect and no chance of moving any plaster (you'll be amazed how much crap comes off).
                                Also remember to vac the nets and wipe the pocket rails down or your balls will soon be covered in green bits from brushing - ours never get done and furry cue balls are very off-putting!.. Pet hate of mine.
                                Yep,ive known tables that have had use of a low suction vacuum used on it for years with no Descrepencies whatsoever, people who insist on using just a brush don't seem to realise that they're actually missing 3/4's of the chalk and dirt on the cloth.
                                As you say you'd be amazed how much crap you suck up from the cloth even with a low powered vacuum

Comment

Working...
                                X