Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pot Black 6ft Snooker Table - approx vintage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot Black 6ft Snooker Table - approx vintage?

Hello all

I’ve recently acquired an old slate bed ‘pot black’ snooker table which I’m in the process of refurbing – has been a busy few weeks tearing down and re-building the thing and I now fully appreciate just how heavy the slate beds are! I think the table is pretty old based upon the pictures of Steve Davis on the paperwork I got with it but I’m wondering if anybody can give me a good estimate of its age?

As you can see, it’s basically a H frame and 6 leg affair with top-rails, and basic net-bag pockets. The slate bed has a wooden perimeter bonded underneath which locates directly to the fame and has locating lugs for the cushion supports.

After all the efforts of the previous weeks sorting the table out I’m not looking to sell it on, just trying to get an idea of the vintage, to the nearest decade!

Any feedback appreciated

Thanks in advance.

David
    Princepugh

at a guess, not before 1981
    the table could be slightly earlier and just repackaged for SD once he came to prominence in 1981, but probably 1980s a good enough decade for you
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

After 14th November 1989

that was the date pot black was registered

link to trade mark registration here http://www.trademarkia.com/map/pot-black-73785492.htm

[/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Pot Black 6ft Snooker Table - approx vintage?

interesting being that late in the 80s.
        Obviously with BBC's Pot Black from the early 70s would have thought the trade name would have been earlier
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's all useful stuff. I've not managed to find anything of a similar design on the web, most of the smaller tables are either the more flimsy four leg folding type, or the more robust 6 * turned column leg items, in the style of the full sized units.

Seems I've taken a punt on something unique if that that special - spent most of the evening straightening, filing and polishing back the remaining couple of pocket rails so we'll get them fitted up tomorrow for a trial run before addressing the main cloth.

D
          Princepugh

Comment

Getting there - just waiting on the replacement nets to arrive. Pictured here with full-sized balls which are, in reality, a little too big for the pocket jaws although they now run with the cushions after some work adjusting them.

Princepugh

Comment

Working...
            X