Table maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple of points to ask, do you:
    1. slightly overlapping your ironing runs?
    2. as you start a run slightly rotate the iron so the short edges of the iron are not parallel to the run?
    3. only iron in one direction, from baulk to pack?
    4. add pressure for the run as Geoff says these irons don't have much weight?
    5. after ironing do you notice any issue with balls going over/along the "streaks"?

Last edited by DeanH; 23 October 2016, 06:47 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• 1. Yes, I do.
      2. You can do, I don't bother.
      3. Yes, that is very important.
      4. Yes, otherwise you won't get the correct effect.
      5. No.
      王可

Comment

• Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
        1. Yes, I do.
        2. You can do, I don't bother.
        3. Yes, that is very important.
        4. Yes, otherwise you won't get the correct effect.
        5. No.
        sorry Philip my comments were directed to nuts00
        (good morning by the way )

Comment

• 1 yep
          2 yep
          4 yep
          5 nope plays perfect

Thinking about it, I wonder if these streats are normal, it's just the iron us smaller and nit rectangular makes the streaks appear untidy.

But like u said, table plays perfect

Comment

• you seem to have not answered question 3 (again)

Ironing, brushing, napping in only the direction from "baulk to black" is THE single most important part of table maintenance :biggrin:

at an old social club I used to use, the cleaner was asked to do the snooker table once; I went in later that day and took off the table cover, and the cloth looked like an "artexed" ceiling! there were arcs going across the whole table - got to admit they were perfectly matched .
            It took about five brushes and napping to get the last arc out
            Suffice to say, the club management did not ask the cleaner to "clean" the snooker table again
            Last edited by DeanH; 23 October 2016, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Don't know why I missed 3,apoligies. Yep of course I brush/iron down the nap of the table.
              I'll see if I can attach a picture now

Comment

• I wish I had taken a photo or two of the "artexed" table! There wouldn't have been any "not sure if you can see it on the photo" it was like a crazed lawn pattern!

Comment

• https://postimg.org/image/72g9c08rp/

The darker lines look as though I've missed it with the iron. But every part of the table would have been ironed. It's probably just due to not using a proper iron

Comment

• Maybe the overlap is too much and some parts are getting possibly three passes?
                    I see you like to break from close to the centre, I often try the way out to the left or right (but not too close to the rail to affect bridge) for a change

Comment

• Possibly the overlap.

I've tried breaking from everywhere over the years. I've narrowed it down to smashing it straight down the middle with bottom/right screw or cut breaking from the right for a consistent ball in the bottom right bag.

This table was awful for breaking on when I first had it, brushing/ironing has done a lot from it.

Comment

• If you are looking, there are a few Dowsing Irons on ebay at the mo, be careful of the really old ones with too much rust, the old models which don't have a thermostat; and the cheap Chinese copies.
                        this one looks good condition, right model, etc
                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dowsing-Sn...AAAOSw8w1YA4N4

Comment

• Originally Posted by nuts00 View Post
                          https://postimg.org/image/72g9c08rp/

The darker lines look as though I've missed it with the iron. But every part of the table would have been ironed. It's probably just due to not using a proper iron
                          The dowsing irons can actually warp so the ironing surface isn't completely flat and gives the effect seen in the pic of dark lines in the cloth.

Comment

• Was told that in the past, when a Dowsing iron is left flat on its tray when heating up and cooling down it can warp (i.e. when heating/on/cooling always stand the iron up).
                            So are you saying nuts00's "Waxing" iron is not flat?
                            When I got a Dowsing iron I checked the plate with a straight edge, the sense of relief was palpable

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              If you are looking, there are a few Dowsing Irons on ebay at the mo, be careful of the really old ones with too much rust, the old models which don't have a thermostat; and the cheap Chinese copies.
                              this one looks good condition, right model, etc
                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dowsing-Sn...AAAOSw8w1YA4N4
                              That's one is same as use in club to clean our tables no thermostat so just take my time to judge how hot a can use it
                              Ton Praram cue series 1 ash shaft Burwood and ebony splices with maple vaneres 58.9.5.29.4.18oz 18 BP

Comment

• Originally Posted by Snooker man Stevie View Post
                                That's one is same as use in club to clean our tables no thermostat so just take my time to judge how hot a can use it
                                I was told to spit on it, when it bounces if it's the right temperature
                                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X