No announcement yet.

Sighting frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Neil, if I were you I would see someone. I wish I had when I'd only been playing that long as it would have prevented all of these bad habits I'm trying to fix!

Some coaches offer online coaching if that's an option?

I played for 10 years without knowing anything about eye dominance etc. I cue under my left eye but my setup and approach was that of a right eye dom player. Still played to a decent standard although seeing a coach early on would have set me up properly. About 3 years ago I looked at myself cueing in a mirror, saw my cue was running under the left eye and changed the position I stand behind the ball and approach to the shot.

I have no where near enough experience to offer suggestions on sighting but head position on the cue feels to me like something we should just let the brain take care of and encourage what you do naturally.

Comment

Originally Posted by Neil Taperell View Post
      Are you able to visit a snooker coach ? By the sounds of it , i reckon one could help you fairly quickly .
      Originally Posted by BrianMahdi View Post

Unfortunately, I haven't got many options for a coach in my area there is one in particular that I've seen him coach and play very well. I just hope that it isn't gonna be too expensive for me
      Hi Brian
      Let us know what "area" you are in (Country will do), as a member may know of someone near you
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Marfling View Post
        I agree with Neil, if I were you I would see someone. I wish I had when I'd only been playing that long as it would have prevented all of these bad habits I'm trying to fix!

Some coaches offer online coaching if that's an option?

I played for 10 years without knowing anything about eye dominance etc. I cue under my left eye but my setup and approach was that of a right eye dom player. Still played to a decent standard although seeing a coach early on would have set me up properly. About 3 years ago I looked at myself cueing in a mirror, saw my cue was running under the left eye and changed the position I stand behind the ball and approach to the shot.

I have no where near enough experience to offer suggestions on sighting but head position on the cue feels to me like something we should just let the brain take care of and encourage what you do naturally.

Thank you for the response! the thing is, I'm left eye dominant and right handed and I also sight the shot under my left eye as well. just like Neil Robertson I guess, but the opposite way. I think this is causing me this issue. so I'm probably going to need a specific way of stepping in to the shot and my stance so that I don't lose the line of aim in the process. which as you guys said a good coach would be very helpful on this matter.

I've also been thinking about a crazy idea that I train myself to be left handed! so that everything sits in line easily. my hand, my vision center and my dominant eye. like Stephen Hendry. but I have no idea how long it would take me to train my left hand to be as good as my right hand.

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

Hi Brian
        Let us know what "area" you are in (Country will do), as a member may know of someone near you
        Hello Dean. I'm from Iran. so I really doubt there would be someone here that'll know any coaches from here :-D

Comment

Hello Dean. I'm from Iran. so I really doubt there would be someone here that'll know any coaches from here :-D
          well, you never know

have you contacted Bowling, Billiard & Boules Federation of the Islamic Republic of IRAN (BBBFIR), they should know of any coaches in your country

let us now how you get on
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

[QUOTE=BrianMahdi;n1020975]

Thank you for the response! the thing is, I'm left eye dominant and right handed and I also sight the shot under my left eye as well. just like Neil Robertson I guess, but the opposite way. I think this is causing me this issue. so I'm probably going to need a specific way of stepping in to the shot and my stance so that I don't lose the line of aim in the process. which as you guys said a good coach would be very helpful on this matter.

I've also been thinking about a crazy idea that I train myself to be left handed! so that everything sits in line easily. my hand, my vision center and my dominant eye. like Stephen Hendry. but I have no idea how long it would take me to train my left hand to be as good as my right hand.

I get where you're coming from, I thought the same thing in the past, but it's not necessary. The key thing for me is to make the primary focus your head position - lead with your head - and let the feet do what they naturally want to do. It takes some getting used to, placing my right foot online used to start my walk in to the shot but I had to change it. The head now dictates everything.

Neil Robertson leans over (a long way) to get his head online and has quite a big step in from there. If you watch Ronnie a lot of the time he stands central to the line and has to shift his left foot slightly to make room for the right foot to hit the line, whilst leaning slightly. Reanne Evans does this as well. This is the way I do it now as well.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/AzDCKWso8TY?t=168

You can see that three step she does (and Ronnie later in the vid.

So stand with feet quite close together, head online. Keep your head online and shift the left slightly to the left and then step in keeping your head online.

Comment

Here's Ronnie dancing into the shot as well as getting dripped on!

https://youtu.be/TddZAXlbC-c?t=18

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

well, you never know

have you contacted Bowling, Billiard & Boules Federation of the Islamic Republic of IRAN (BBBFIR), they should know of any coaches in your country

let us now how you get on
                Will do! cheers Dean.

[QUOTE=Marfling;n1021079]

I get where you're coming from, I thought the same thing in the past, but it's not necessary. The key thing for me is to make the primary focus your head position - lead with your head - and let the feet do what they naturally want to do. It takes some getting used to, placing my right foot online used to start my walk in to the shot but I had to change it. The head now dictates everything.

Neil Robertson leans over (a long way) to get his head online and has quite a big step in from there. If you watch Ronnie a lot of the time he stands central to the line and has to shift his left foot slightly to make room for the right foot to hit the line, whilst leaning slightly. Reanne Evans does this as well. This is the way I do it now as well.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/AzDCKWso8TY?t=168

You can see that three step she does (and Ronnie later in the vid.

So stand with feet quite close together, head online. Keep your head online and shift the left slightly to the left and then step in keeping your head online.

Wow I've never noticed that about Ronnie! I knew he was also cross dominant but didn't think he did the three step thing. He seemed to just simply step in to the shot just like the others.
                thank you for the videos Marfling. Reanne's approach is also interesting.

I'll definitely take your advice from now on and focus mainly on my head. now that I think about it, leading with the feet first I might as well step in to the shot blindfolded.

Comment

Working...
                X