Your Cue Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Cue Action

hey guys, just wanted to discuss cue actions, what's yours?
    I know it isn't always the same and often you subconsciously do less or more than other times, but if you could tell me roughly your usual potting action and how it may vary on different types of shots such as when the white is tight to the cushion, or perhaps on your break off.
    how many feathers? slow, medium, fast paced?
    sorry if this question is a bit too vague, I just want a bit of insight as to everybody's standard cue action as I don't feel very happy with mine currently.

I guess I'll kick things off:
    break off - roughly 8 medium-fast paced feathers
    half table or less pot - 4 feathers starting fast then gradually slowing down to medium pace (similar to shaun murphy's action)
    long pot - 6 7 or 8 medium-fast feathers
    safety shots - approx 6 slower feathers

you don't have to set it out like I've done, tell me as much or as little as you like, all help is appreciated
    cheers in advance everybody :snooker:
    JRobbins.
    Been Playing Since: December 2009
    Highest Break: 67
    ALL HAIL THE THUNDER FROM DOWN UNDER.

Pretty sure you should be trying to do the same routine for every type of shot to build in consistancy (easier said than done tho)

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Pretty sure you should be trying to do the same routine for every type of shot to build in consistancy (easier said than done tho)
      oh right, I didn't realise thanks. in that case let's simplify the question:
      what is your cue action?
      JRobbins.

Comment

cue actiion doesnt matter when u dont miss

guess what i dunt miss haha :P:snooker:
        tha what!

Comment

aha...

...like getting blood out of a stone this is
          JRobbins.

Comment

Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
            aha...

...like getting blood out of a stone this is
            because all cue actions are diff thats why theres no such thing as perfect
            tha what!

Comment

if im completely honest with you, i think my cue action is completely different almost each time, i usually feather slowly though, i never really attack or be aggressively fast with my cueing, i may feather slightly faster if i feel i have to dig in to the cue ball but more often than not i f4eathert nice and slowly, but as to how many times, idont know, i just feather until i feel 100% comfortable and i never really think about it im too busy thinking about making the pot and getting the white where i want it the other bit kinda just does itself...

sorry to be vague on that but hope it helps a little
              what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

fair play Luke, thanks for the helpful answer

Originally Posted by ian046 View Post
                because all cue actions are diff thats why theres no such thing as perfect
                I didn't ask for what the perfect cue action is, the whole point is that I can maybe try out a few different things to get one that works for me. tbh I'm just eager to hear about everyones cue actions so I can see what people do differently to me. if there was such thing as a "perfect action" then I wouldn't be asking this question because everyone would be doing the same.
                JRobbins.

Comment

Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
                  fair play Luke, thanks for the helpful answer

I didn't ask for what the perfect cue action is, the whole point is that I can maybe try out a few different things to get one that works for me. tbh I'm just eager to hear about everyones cue actions so I can see what people do differently to me. if there was such thing as a "perfect action" then I wouldn't be asking this question because everyone would be doing the same.
                  aslong as u sight the ball well and ur stance is ok all that matters is the stroke u strike the ball with is str8 :P
                  tha what!

Comment

Jrobin..perhaps you could try and play without counting how many feathers you do ...and just strike the cueball when you feel ready,..might not be your cue action!!
                    I can see the table, but lost my ....ive lost my balls

Comment

Originally Posted by heera2009 View Post
                      Jrobin..perhaps you could try and play without counting how many feathers you do ...and just strike the cueball when you feel ready,..might not be your cue action!!
                      i dont count anything i just cue the ball then strike when ready lol :P
                      tha what!

Comment

My cueing has been rather poor lately.

When getting down, I usually go for a feather. Then when I am 'down' I'll feather about 3 times, I have two pauses, one when the tip of my cue is at addressing the cue ball and one when I pull my arm/elbow back.

I think I might feather a bit more for longer pots, not 100% sure. Just thinking about it, it feels like I do.

Comment

First of all try and cut down those 8 feathers you are doing as you are increasing the chance that you will make 'micro-adjustments' in your aiming. 2 to 4 is considered 'ideal'.

Also, I'd recommend (as someone has said already) to keep it consistent no matter what type of shot.

Playing off the cushion should be no different than a normal hand on the table shot except of course you are choked up on the cue and can't backswing as much.

Terry
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

cheers terry
                            JRobbins.

Comment

I've tried loads of differnt adjustments over time.
                              A lot depends on how you're feeling and how confident
                              you're feeling in yourself,but try not to concentrate too
                              much on what you're doing, how many times you feather
                              the speed etc.
                              Easier said than done but just try to be consistant & still
                              while you're doing it

Comment

Working...
                              X