X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramon
    replied
    Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    You have the cue running almost under your right eye and that's why it's natural for you to have a square stance. If you want your shoulder right behind your head then you will need to adopt the Hendry stance, which calls for an extreme twist of the spine while standing with both feet square to the table with the body pointing at 45 degrees away to the right of the line of aim.

Use the directions I gave earlier for the classic boxer stance but instead of moving the feet to face square on to the yellow pocket, keep the feet square to the blue, move the left foot about two feet further to the left and twist your body from that position to face the yellow pocket and turn your head to face the blue and get down into your stance from there.
    This will put your shoulder behind your head but will put a strain on your spine that you could get used to or it could be detrimental to your back muscles and/or ligaments, discs and vertabrae.

The real point is this though Ted,
    if you don't drop your shoulder into the stroke before the strike then all is OK anyway and those 70+ beaks that you're making with your present stance show that nothing is really wrong with how you play at present except for dropping the shoulder on those pressure balls, and that's what you should be working on.
    +10 to this !!!! Great stuf !!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    Looking at your photos again I can see that your right leg is not quite vertical to the ground. This is the main reason why you are experiencing so much tension with your new alignment.

Experiment with moving your right foot towards your body to make your leg absolutely vertical to the ground. This could also resolve your body weight distribution issue.

Here is a good explanation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSNqNbvekhc
    Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    Thanks again!

That's good to hear. I'm trying to change a habit of a lifetime here I suppose!

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Originally Posted by hsn View Post
    You have to get used to it then it becomes easy . You will learn some easier ways to achieve the alignment experimenting on your own.

It becomes as easier as more angular you face away from the shot rather than twisting your spine brutally. I mean if you exaggerate the boxers stance you'll have to twist your body less.

It's absolutely normal to feel it as a hard work in the beginning.
    Thanks again!

That's good to hear. I'm trying to change a habit of a lifetime here I suppose!

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    Isn't this something people tend to do fairly easily? Should I really be struggling this much to do it?

I was looking around the snooker club yesterday when I was playing, there were some young lads and all of them were set up correctly. With everything nicely in line. They couldn't make a 15 break, but everything looked great.

So why am I having such a hard time just getting down correctly?
    You have to get used to it then it becomes easy . You will learn some easier ways to achieve the alignment experimenting on your own.

It becomes as easier as more angular you face away from the shot rather than twisting your spine brutally. I mean if you exaggerate the boxers stance you'll have to twist your body less.

It's absolutely normal to feel it as a hard work in the beginning.

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Terry:

Cheers. Yes it's definitely a hips problem. That's what I've been struggling with all along. It just seems so unnatural to me to twist my hips so much into the shot.

The only way I've found now of consistently getting down and being on-line, is to put all my weight on my left leg as I get down. I'm twisting my hips, but taking almost all of my weight on my left leg which is actually causing it to tremble. Obviously this is not the solution, but for some reason this is what I've found will cause me to consistently be on-line.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    Isn't this something people tend to do fairly easily? Should I really be struggling this much to do it?

I was looking around the snooker club yesterday when I was playing, there were some young lads and all of them were set up correctly. With everything nicely in line. They couldn't make a 15 break, but everything looked great.

Compare the position of your left hip between picture #1 and picture #2 and look at where the hip is in relation to the door handle. You are more to the right in picture #2. Set up a mirror or set up a video camera where you can see the screen.

If you really want this you MUST move the left foot out about 3" more and SWING the hips to the left until you feel you have approximately the same weight on both feet (there actually should be more weight on the left side since approx 10% of your weight should be on the bridge forearm and bridge itself and then approx 45% of your weight on each foot for much better stability too). The best way is to practice in front of a mirror and play around with it until you get what you're looking for.

A good little exercise is to shut your eyes and get down into the address position trying to swing the hips over and then open them and look in the mirror. This will give your brain the feedback it needs to learn the position you want as long as you have reached the position you are showing in picture #1. So when you shut your eyes and move into the address position over-emphasize the hip swing and take it out until it feels really uncomfortable and then still with the eyes shut swing the hips to the right until that feels uncomfortable and then move the hips back to what you 'feel' is the central position where you're comfortable and balanced. Open the eyes and see where you are. If you're still not there then in order to get this to what you want you should swing the hips more to the left until you induce a little bit of discomfort but have the hips in the right position.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    Here's a pic where I've nailed it again earlier:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16639[/ATTACH]

And here's one where I just haven't quite got it right and I don't understand why:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16640[/ATTACH]

Help!!!!
    It's due to either of the two things : you are not lifting your shoulder up enough and also you are not aiming to the side enough. Please note that you can compensate each of them with the other. As you can compensate your facing to one side with moving your point of aim further in the opposite direction.

Some adjustments to your left foot can also effect the alignment.

The most important thing is that you are going in the right direction!

Both of your shoulders are involved in the alignment. One has to go up and the other has to go down like a seesaw.

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    ----------

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Not completely sure but is your stance just a bit wider on the first pic, might be the camera angle, but this affects things as well .

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied

And here's one where I just haven't quite got it right and I don't understand why:

Help!!!!
    It's due to either of the two things : you are not lifting your shoulder up enough and also you are not aiming to the side enough. Please note that you can compensate each of them with the other. As you can compensate your facing to one side with moving your point of aim further in the opposite direction.

Some adjustments to your left foot can also effect the alignment.

The most important thing is that you are going in the right direction!

Both of your shoulders are involved in the alignment. One has to go up and the other has to go down like a seesaw.

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    It's amazing this is though. No matter how much I say "right, get my hips right out of the way" I just can't do it at all now. This is mental. It's driving me insane.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied

Help!!!!
    First one you have your bum and hips out the way this brings your chest over and your shoulders in line , look at your bridge arm elbow in the first picture , see the distance between that and you hips, now compare that distance in the second picture, it's not as much, which means you haven't got over enough.

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    Yes thanks mate! Was a great help.

I must admit, I can't seem to get it quite right every time yet. Can't quite put my finger on what I do differently when I get it spot on.
    My pleasure Ted!

You were used to aim square to your face and pull your upper arm towards you that revealed your shoulder.

Now you aim at 10 O clock, get onto the shot with your chest vertical to the table bed, not pulling your upper arm only lifting your cue shoulder up and twisting your bottom out.

Aiming at 10 O clock and not pulling the upper arm towards you are the two major things that you do differently when you are spot on.

I feel very happy for you.

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    image.jpg

image.jpg

Help!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X