line up the shot and aiming stood up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• line up the shot and aiming stood up

i have seen posts that say we should line up the shot and aim stood up . can someone explain how to line up and how to aim stood up , what are we actually doing with our eyes stood up to aim the shot, what is the line of aim and where is it in relation to the shot. thanks

PCB:

There are quite a few strings on here explaining all that but I will do a quick summary for you and then I suggest you do some review for yourself as I believe I explained it more thoroughly at least 3 times in different strings.

Here is a real simple example but it's what you should do for every shot. Cueball on brown spot trying to 'shoot the spot'. Stand about 1ft behind the shot with your head (use the nose) pointed at the black spot or a centre mark on the top cushion you've made (lightly) with chalk.

KEEPING YOUR EYES (REALLY YOUR NOSE WHICH IS NORMALLY CENTERED BETWEEN THE EYES) on the black spot or mark on the cushion with the cue across the upper thighs first place the arch (the laces) of your right foot on the line your nose is pointed on. Keep your head/nose on that line by leaning over a bit and place the left foot out to the left where you normally do WITHOUT ALLOWING THE HEAD TO MOVE AND WITH THE NOSE STILL POINTED AT THE BLACK SPOT).

The other option is to place the left foot and allow the head to go off the line of aim and then while standing up bend the left leg and twist the hips until the nose is back on the line of aim but I don't like this one as it mean your have to re-acquire the correct line of aim.

Drop into the address position ENSURING THE HEAD DROPS ABSOLUTELY STRAIGHT DOWN (a lot of players will come in from the left because they've allowed their head to move to the left while placing the left foot). Do your feathering, front pause, backswing, rear pause and delivery WITHOUT ALLOWING THE UPPER BODY TO MOVE AT ALL THE WHOLE TIME and drive the grip hand through to the chest and do your last pause with the cue extended for perhaps one second or so.

If you've stayed still and also dropped your head straight down generally you will delivery the cue straight down the correct line of aim (one other point, do not tighten the grip on the cue until after the strike of the cueball)

That's it

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

How can one ever be thankful to you Terry... Even though you had explained this to me in detail, reading this again refreshed my pre-shot routine for me and I learnt an additional point as well. Hats off!

PCB: Search on Coaching questions and you will find a post that I had started in which Terry has explained to me in about 10 points my pre-shot routine....! It is indeed step by step. After going through that, what Terry has summerised here would make more sense to you... BEst of luck!
      "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

do we also point the nose at the contact point on a angled pot stood behind the middle of the cue ball thanks

Comment

your question is partially correct. You line up and aim from the point on the back of the cueball you intend to hit. This should normally be centre-ball but if you are applying side then try and line up from that point.

We're talking a very small bit here and even if you line up using centre ball (while standing up) it wouldn't really matter but at the front pause when your bridge hand is on the table check and see if you feel you are lined up correctly and if not then stand back up and get down on the shot again (do NOT adjust your aim while you are down on the shot)

Terry
          Terry Davidson

Comment

hi thanks but what i meant was do we point our nose/line up on the contact point the object ball not the cue ball thanks

Comment

Of course PCB: you always point your nose on the contact point (potting angle) on the object ball while standing to get in to the line of aim and never on the cueball. You should then even get down on the table looking at the point of contact on the object ball and if you do that correctly you will find yourself automatically getting the centre of the cueball...
              "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

pcb:

You keep your eyes and nose lined up on the object ball until you are into the address position and just about ready to start your 2-3 (max) feathers

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSkvf...eature=related

that is how to aim!

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    PCB:

There are quite a few strings on here explaining all that but I will do a quick summary for you and then I suggest you do some review for yourself as I believe I explained it more thoroughly at least 3 times in different strings.

Here is a real simple example but it's what you should do for every shot. Cueball on brown spot trying to 'shoot the spot'. Stand about 1ft behind the shot with your head (use the nose) pointed at the black spot or a centre mark on the top cushion you've made (lightly) with chalk.

KEEPING YOUR EYES (REALLY YOUR NOSE WHICH IS NORMALLY CENTERED BETWEEN THE EYES) on the black spot or mark on the cushion with the cue across the upper thighs first place the arch (the laces) of your right foot on the line your nose is pointed on. Keep your head/nose on that line by leaning over a bit and place the left foot out to the left where you normally do WITHOUT ALLOWING THE HEAD TO MOVE AND WITH THE NOSE STILL POINTED AT THE BLACK SPOT).

The other option is to place the left foot and allow the head to go off the line of aim and then while standing up bend the left leg and twist the hips until the nose is back on the line of aim but I don't like this one as it mean your have to re-acquire the correct line of aim.

Drop into the address position ENSURING THE HEAD DROPS ABSOLUTELY STRAIGHT DOWN (a lot of players will come in from the left because they've allowed their head to move to the left while placing the left foot). Do your feathering, front pause, backswing, rear pause and delivery WITHOUT ALLOWING THE UPPER BODY TO MOVE AT ALL THE WHOLE TIME and drive the grip hand through to the chest and do your last pause with the cue extended for perhaps one second or so.

If you've stayed still and also dropped your head straight down generally you will delivery the cue straight down the correct line of aim (one other point, do not tighten the grip on the cue until after the strike of the cueball)

That's it

Terry
                    What a coaching skills Terrrry? How about deep crew shots with the rest? Did you still aiming with your nose and closed eyes!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      PCB:

That's it

Terry
                      What a coaching skills Terrrry? How about deep crew shots with the rest? Did you still aiming with your nose and closed eyes

Comment

woolf147:

From your post above I believe you are asking a coaching question. Just like you sell cues for your pocket money I coach snooker for my own pocket money, but as you are such a respected member of this forum I will offer you my special discounted price of 300GBP per hour for coaching.

In order to teach you how to play a screw rest shot with your eyes closed I think it would take around 4hrs of analysis of your present rest technique and to give you a video example of the proper way to use the rest with the eyes closed.

If you would like to PM me I will pass along instructions for you to make a DVD and post it to me for analysis and I will also give you my paypal address as I will expect payment up front. The video analysis, example technique with closed eyes and postage of the DVD with Dartfish or Kinovea analysis is included.

I can send you photos of my certificates which prove I am a genuine certified Examiner with WPBSA, IBSF and TheSnookerGym and also a Master Coach with those three organizations plus my certificate as a Terry Griffiths Matchroom Senior Coach along with my Referee Grade 'C' certificate. All my certificates are in perfect shape however I can send you a copy if you like for an additional 100GBP but frames for the certificates will not be included.

Terry
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

I recently learnt how to step into the shot
                          If you think logically about it every shot is a straight line whether your cutting the ball or hitting it full ball you are always striking the cue-ball in a straight line. I recently learnt to step into the line of the shot you are playing and it has helped my game a lot
                          Matt

Comment

Originally Posted by davisskeggsm View Post
                            I recently learnt how to step into the shot
                            If you think logically about it every shot is a straight line whether your cutting the ball or hitting it full ball you are always striking the cue-ball in a straight line. I recently learnt to step into the line of the shot you are playing and it has helped my game a lot
                            Matt
                            Not if you're playing with side.

Comment

i still have problems seeing the correct line for angled pots as its not the middle of the cue ball that strikes the point furthest from the pocket , how do work out this line stood when it is the leading edge of the cue ball that strikes the object ball contact point to pot the ball . hope someone can help

Comment

Working...
                              X