Cue position when applying side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    He's playing the shot at a gentle pace without allowing for the throw of the cue ball. As he explains with the blacks he played into the corner pockets, the cue ball throws off line, comes back onto the line in an arc before striking the object ball.
    I totally understand what he is trying to do, and i understand that the cue ball will swerve and arc and eventuall come back on the line of aim.

what i have trouble with i think he is explaining it opposite to what is happening. even if you look at his hand gestures when he explains how the white will arc, with right hand side he says it will arc from right to left. i thought its the other way, from left to right.

surely when you put right hand side the cueball squirts to the left first then will arc back, providing there is space to do so.

look at the shots from the blue spot as i explained in my earlier post, he was aiming right but the OB goes left, it should be the other way because the cueball will go left and hit the OB on the left from his position.

Alabbadi

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
      look at the shots from the blue spot as i explained in my earlier post, he was aiming right but the OB goes left, it should be the other way because the cueball will go left and hit the OB on the left from his position.
      Assuming it hasn't arced back by that time. That seems to be the implication/assumption.
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
        Assuming it hasn't arced back by that time. That seems to be the implication/assumption.
        That's exactly right nrage.

With those shots from the blue spot he is demonstrating what happens when playing with side and NOT aiming to allow for the throw and arc of the cue ball. The cue ball on those shots has thrown as it should and has arced back onto and then beyond the contact point on the object ball needed to pot it. He doesn't explain this though, and that is a fault that leads to this confusion.

On those shots on the black he IS aiming to allow for the throw and arc of the cue ball, shows how the cue ball arcs with his hand gestures and states that he is aiming a little thicker for check side and thinner for running side which is correct for the pace of the shots played.

It's pretty straightforward really

When playing with side the cue ball will throw the opposite way to the side that you are applying and then will arc back before it starts to go straight. What you are trying to do is judge the amount of throw and arc within the distance the cue ball will travel before contacting the object ball. The harder you play the shot the more the cue ball will throw before it starts to arc back and will also arc more severely because it is carrying more sidespin.

It sounds really difficult to have to judge the amount of throw and the arcing of the cue ball but all you have to work out really is by how much you have to offset your aiming to allow for these effects within the pace of the shot played.
        This can only be done through trial and error, missing the shot, seeing by how much and where and altering your aiming to compensate.

Comment

One other further complicating factor in all of this is depending on the height you hit the cueball at will factor in to WHEN the return arc takes place. The top-side the arc will occur later or nearer the object ball and with bottom spin it will start earlier or close to where the cueball was.

When Nic Barrow told me this fact I was a little sceptical to say the least, however Nic demonstrated it and then had me do it and it's a fact and in a snooker where the object ball and snookering ball are closer together than the cueball/object ball you can actually delay when the return arc will start.

So when I tell a player with not a lot of experience NOT to use side except for the break and really easy pots I'm actually helping him since tryng to calculate the amount of throw and arc back only comes with tons of practice and experience. An important point here is when applying side on the break shot ALWAYS hit the cueball at the same height so you become experienced on exactly how much aim-off you need to compensate for the throw and arc back.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

With those shots from the blue spot he is demonstrating what happens when playing with side and NOT aiming to allow for the throw and arc of the cue ball. The cue ball on those shots has thrown as it should and has arced back onto and then beyond the contact point on the object ball needed to pot it.
            im not sure if the cueball has arced back at all, there is not a lot of distance between cueball and OB, so for it to throw then arc back beyond the correct contact point to pot seems far fetched at the pace he was applying.

i tried this today down at the Sheffield snooker academy i was on a Star championship table, and the cloth was brand new only a week old. i played the shots with slow pace as he did and it didn't have time to arc back.
            The OB went to the same side of the pocket that the side i was applying, i wasn't allowing for the throw i just wanted to see what would happen if i aimed with side at the centre of the OB.

i have looked at his video in slow motion i'm not sure if the angle of the camera he is using isn't showing it properly but it doesn't seem he is aiming to the centre of the OB it looks like he is aming slightly to same side he is applying the side on the cueball

i know he is saying he is not trying to pot, so he should be aiming the cue to the centre of the OB otherwise he is allowng for the throw.
            this is my opinion, i think we will have to agree to disagree, i have sent the guy a message to clear it upi because i am not convinced yet, although i will keep an open mind.

Alabbadi

Comment

With those shots from the blue spot he is demonstrating what happens when playing with side and NOT aiming to allow for the throw and arc of the cue ball. The cue ball on those shots has thrown as it should and has arced back onto and then beyond the contact point on the object ball needed to pot it.
              im not sure if the cueball has arced back at all, there is not a lot of distance between cueball and OB, so for it to throw then arc back beyond the correct contact point to pot seems far fetched at the pace he was applying.

i tried this today down at the Sheffield snooker academy i was on a Star championship table, and the cloth was brand new only a week old. i played the shots with slow pace as he did and it didn't have time to arc back.
              The OB went to the same side of the pocket that the side i was applying, i wasn't allowing for the throw i just wanted to see what would happen if i aimed with side at the centre of the OB.

i have looked at his video in slow motion i'm not sure if the angle of the camera he is using isn't showing it properly but it doesn't seem he is aiming to the centre of the OB it looks like he is aming slightly to same side he is applying the side on the cueball

i know he is saying he is not trying to pot, so he should be aiming the cue to the centre of the OB otherwise he is allowng for the throw.
              this is my opinion, i think we will have to agree to disagree, i have sent the guy a message to clear it upi because i am not convinced yet, although i will keep an open mind.

Alabbadi

Comment

Working...
              X