Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    I think it is the secret club that PP is keeping to himself
    Table is slower than Peter Ebdon, one cushion bounces balls. Balls to the centre pockets roll off and the centre pockets won't take any pace even if the ball is plumb; nightmare. I hit a ball into the bottom right with pace today, hit the back leather and came back out, which happens with the middle bags all the time. That sort of stuff doesn't even happen on the hardest Star you can find. But it's cheap and the few member there are, are all good guys. Off to Ex soon enough.
    Last edited by Particle Physics; 17 August 2012, 07:20 PM.
    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
      I wonder why?
      Masons. The club doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
        Table is slower than Peter Ebdon, one cushion bounces balls. Balls to the centre pockets roll off and the centre pockets won't take any pace even if the ball is plumb; nightmare. I hit a ball into the bottom right with pace today, hit the back leather and came back out, which happens with the middle bags all the time. That sort of stuff doesn't even happen on the hardest Star you can find. Off to Ex soon enough.
        I wonder if that's why your game/style has developed into a sledgehammer? ( srs )

Comment

Masons. The club doesn't exist.
          Baffle 'em with BS aye.

Comment

I wonder if that's why your game/style has developed into a sledgehammer? ( srs )
            I have always hit the ball hard, I like to hit the balls hard I guess. But it's getting heavier, the more cue power I develop. I've upped my cue power no doubt, in large part due to the kind advice of Terry, Nrage, VMax, Dean etc. Now I need to control it and not look to wallop everything because it sounds nice.

Comment

I have always hit the ball hard, I like to hit the balls hard I guess. But it's getting heavier, the more cue power I develop. I've upped my cue power no doubt, in large part due to the kind advice of Terry, Nrage, VMax, Dean etc. Now I need to control it and not look to wallop everything because it sounds nice.
              Yeah I hear you. It all costs time and money. But if you can, you need to treat yourself to day at the academy in Gloucester. The way those tables glide and run are diff. class. I remember when I started playing on an old Con Club table years ago. I never hit the ball as hard as you do, but on occasions I wasn't far off. Once you get to grips with a decent cloth ( and hone your technique ) with a view to improving, who knows. Good luck PP.

Comment

You obviously hit the ball well . I would say youre cue is too high at the butt thats why its angled and not level as it could be . I think the cause of this is that your back leg is too far forward and your stance is too upright as a reselt . Try putting the back foot further back youre cue should then level itself out , and as Terry and others have said slow down , the way you were addressing the shot i thought you were going to clun someone over the head lol .

Keep it up muck . Your,ve made good progress .

Comment

Yeah I hear you. It all costs time and money. But if you can, you need to treat yourself to day at the academy in Gloucester. The way those tables glide and run are diff. class. I remember when I started playing on an old Con Club table years ago. I never hit the ball as hard as you do, but on occasions I wasn't far off. Once you get to grips with a decent cloth ( and hone your technique ) with a view to improving, who knows. Good luck PP.
                  Can't wait to get to SWSA for a day. Friends are broke, and I don't fancy hiring a table all day for myself. I'll get 'em in the car and up the motorway or my name isn't Master Thread Starter.
                  Last edited by Particle Physics; 17 August 2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                    You obviously hit the ball well . I would say youre cue is too high at the butt thats why its angled and not level as it could be . I think the cause of this is that your back leg is too far forward and your stance is too upright as a reselt . Try putting the back foot further back youre cue should then level itself out , and as Terry and others have said slow down , the way you were addressing the shot i thought you were going to clun someone over the head lol .

Keep it up muck . Your,ve made good progress .
                    LOL! I think I was in Kendo mode.

Comment

oops - duplicate
                      Last edited by DeanH; 17 August 2012, 10:00 PM.
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Obviously, much has been said already on this thread as well as (for me) a dejavu moment (specifically about the front leg)...
                        my comments as requested
                        Straight bridge arm - looks uncomfortable and forced to the point it is bent inwards so in time I think will become painful. I have bad elbows so I see this as "not good".
                        No stepping into the shot - this could be the space around the table being restrictive, but this step-in will help stop the shuffle you do with the feet at the start of the shot approach.
                        Straight back leg - again this looks uncomfortable and forced. Maybe it is the speed you are playing these shots (as previously discussed) that is making you "snap" the knee and elbow. Years ago I used to "snap" the knee into a forced "tense" fixed position, which would be painful after a while, you mention this already. Try no to force the knee into this tense position, this tenseness can also lead to unwanted shaking of the body. You don’t stand normally with the knees tense do you? - so don’t do so at the table I also have injured knees (martial arts and bike accident) so - again - I spot this as "not good" body behaviour.
                        Butt very high - when I saw CoachGav a few years ago, I also had a high-butt (no giggling please ) to help with this he got me to move my front (left) leg (I am right-handed) a tad further out and forward (say 45deg), compensating the distance from the table a tad as well to maintain the distance from cue ball, this brought my body and hence shoulder lower and the butt was much flatter in delivery. I know that you have already had much from TD and others about your stance, etc. So please keep all comments in mind.
                        Other have already mentioned the pace in the vid and you mention the time on your phone and stage-fright , I do certainly hope you normally play at a slower pace.
                        Positives - the cue delivery does look nice and straight and powerful, this have been discussed previously as well
                        You should be booking your coaching soon, yes? I hope that will be a fantastic experience and you cannot wait. There is no better way of improving your snooker than one2one in-person coaching.
                        cheers :snooker:
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

PP:

OK, I see the photos but a still photo of the grip doesn't do any good as I need to see it in action. When you do your next video, place the camera to your right side showing from the grip hand/butt of cue all the way up to the top of your elbow and record around 5 long blues and then take a video of 5 long blues from straight on with the camera over the pocket

Terry
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Wee Video of Me Hitting Some Balls

Obviously you don't pot every ball. You need to show some longer footage especially shots you are missing or the coaches can't help with any other faults in your set up or technique. No editing.

Comment

Originally Posted by paddybhoy30 View Post
                              Obviously you don't pot every ball. You need to show some longer footage especially shots you are missing or the coaches can't help with any other faults in your set up or technique. No editing.
                              Will do. Visiting a coach next month who will see warts and all! Even a long video wouldn't shoe all the things a coach can spot in person. I don't really have anyone to video me up close when I'm free to play. It's put the phone on a surface and press record unfortunately.

Comment

every table is different so if you can change your shot to suit ive played on the tables up at sheffield were the pros play and it does seam easier you dont have to bash em but on the clubs round sheffield in the league there all different and you change hard to soft its all down to experiance and you know after a few shots wether table is quick or slow,if you play on the same table day in day out wk in wk out you dont get to have a b game as such

Comment

Working...
                                X